HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:39 PM

I can count 16 towers that have or already under construction that has been built on the west end of downtown in the past 10 yrs. Mind blown once you think about it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 10:29 PM

Slightly unrelated, but Dallas is getting a new tower called The Amli Fountainplace and the dimensions are similar to 5th&West, at least in the photo I've included. The Dallas one seems to have toyed more with their dimensions. I prefer it

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 4:54 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
Slightly unrelated, but Dallas is getting a new tower called The Amli Fountainplace and the dimensions are similar to 5th&West, at least in the photo I've included. The Dallas one seems to have toyed more with their dimensions. I prefer it

It complements the other tower well also. Looks good.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 6:58 PM
Meh

That tower is going to be sweeeeeet!

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:50 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Unfortunately we get stuck with pretty dull or unimaginative highrise architecture save for a handful of decent ones. Austin needs to step it up already. The skyline from certain angles is losing any sense of an iconic shape, rather it's becoming a platau of boxy blobs that meld into eachother. I don't understand why the design commission or city council don't consider the blandness and lackluster the skyline is starting to get. It's one thing to have similar design elements but there is such a thing as going overboard. The building planned in Dallas works well with its counterpart, but at least it isn't dull.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Unfortunately we get stuck with pretty dull or unimaginative highrise architecture save for a handful of decent ones. Austin needs to step it up already. The skyline from certain angles is losing any sense of an iconic shape, rather it's becoming a platau of boxy blobs that meld into eachother. I don't understand why the design commission or city council don't consider the blandness and lackluster the skyline is starting to get. It's one thing to have similar design elements but there is such a thing as going overboard. The building planned in Dallas works well with its counterpart, but at least it isn't dull.
It almost seems like it all about the numbers...get the condos, apartments, hotel rooms, and office space downtown in any fashion, dull or not, just get the numbers. And to the developers, as fast and as cheaply as possible. Just saying

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:38 PM

I've wondered if the general lack of imagination in our design might in part be due to the speed in which the buildings are being built.

That comparison shot posted in one of our recent threads -- the 2010 vs 2017 skyline -- shows a LOT of activity in an amazingly short period of time. Maybe we just needed to get a certain level of highrise office space built -- regardless of architectural significance.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I've wondered if the general lack of imagination in our design might in part be due to the speed in which the buildings are being built.

That comparison shot posted in one of our recent threads -- the 2010 vs 2017 skyline -- shows a LOT of activity in an amazingly short period of time. Maybe we just needed to get a certain level of highrise office space built -- regardless of architectural significance.

I've sold quite a few condos downtown and owned one myself for a few years. I've noticed that the quality of construction and design for most of downtown properties lacks, and I believe that is due to the following

1. The demand to live downtown is such that buyers will purchase anything regardless of style/design.
2. Being a younger (new money) type of market, the buyers are not often educated to high design and don't demand it.....and probably could not afford it. Cities like Dallas-Houston (not to mention NYC & LA, etc), have a TON more money than Austin, have more museums, better fine arts, etc. Which, I believe, leads to buyers who demand more style.
3. I believe once the prices of newer units exceed $1000/ft, buyers will expect higher interior designs and "starchitects", who have a reputation to uphold with regard to design.

I believe we will reach those levels, but it will take time. As the boomers continue to retire and want a condo life downtown, they have the money and "style", and will demand a better building and appreciate a "starchitect".

I've never had a downtown condo buyer that even mentioned style/design. What matter most were;
1. price
2. view
3. size-value
4. location

But all of those buyers/sellers were below the $600/ft range. A buyer can only expect so much at that price point. We've had quite a few units sell in the $1000+/- sqft downtown, but I've never worked with those buyers/sellers.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:17 PM

That's really interesting. And kind of lines up with what downtown "feels" like to me (I have no data or anecdote to back it up, just my perception). Which is to say kinda of "nouveau riche" and super young. And also kind of monocultural.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I've sold quite a few condos downtown and owned one myself for a few years. I've noticed that the quality of construction and design for most of downtown properties lacks, and I believe that is due to the following

1. The demand to live downtown is such that buyers will purchase anything regardless of style/design.
2. Being a younger (new money) type of market, the buyers are not often educated to high design and don't demand it.....and probably could not afford it. Cities like Dallas-Houston (not to mention NYC & LA, etc), have a TON more money than Austin, have more museums, better fine arts, etc. Which, I believe, leads to buyers who demand more style.
3. I believe once the prices of newer units exceed $1000/ft, buyers will expect higher interior designs and "starchitects", who have a reputation to uphold with regard to design.

I believe we will reach those levels, but it will take time. As the boomers continue to retire and want a condo life downtown, they have the money and "style", and will demand a better building and appreciate a "starchitect".

I've never had a downtown condo buyer that even mentioned style/design. What matter most were;
1. price
2. view
3. size-value
4. location

But all of those buyers/sellers were below the $600/ft range. A buyer can only expect so much at that price point. We've had quite a few units sell in the $1000+/- sqft downtown, but I've never worked with those buyers/sellers.
I live in a condo downtown and I'm fairly young, but maybe part of it is, that I'd want to live in the ugliest building I can find! That way, I don't have to look at it when I look out my windows. It's like in NYC... No one wants to have an office *in* the empire state building, since all their neighbors have this great view of the empire state building and they don't.

Joking aside, I agree with you. By far those 4 issues are what matters most to people. I just wish it were different and we got something unique and original. Shoot, that Dallas building is just a big glass rectangle at it's core, but at least it's green. That alone (instead of the dozen blue buildings we have) would make it stand out in Austin...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:

https://youtu.be/zMRrNY0pxfM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:04 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:

1. price
2. view
3. size-value
4. location

All of this is more relevant to interior design and unit finishing, rather than the architecture. Really, the quality architecture when speaking of highrises never comes from residential highrises (although that isn't necessarily the case in Chicago and NYC), but rather from office buildings.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:09 AM
World Traveler

Quote:

1. price
2. view
3. size-value
4. location

That's a really thoughtful and helpful analysis, thanks for that. My time in the U.S. prior to moving overseas was always in a single-family home or suburban apartments...I could never afford a highrise as much as I would've liked to live in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
All of this is more relevant to interior design and unit finishing, rather than the architecture. Really, the quality architecture when speaking of highrises never comes from residential highrises (although that isn't necessarily the case in Chicago and NYC), but rather from office buildings.
I'd agree with that on some levels, but that is changing in DFW, Houston, and even Austin to a lesser degree. That said, when compared to most timeless towers, they're usually offices, etc., so you're definitely right. It seems to me that a lot of the newer, flashy towers throughout Asia (China, Thailand, etc., specifically) are mixed use...hotel, condos, and perhaps some offices.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 1:16 AM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 2:49 AM

A few pictures from early this morning.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 2:52 AM

^ Look at all that crap in the balconies. Third world tenementish.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 2:55 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
^ Look at all that crap in the balconies. Third world tenementish.
... yeah, because having furniture on your balcony is a trait only found in third world tenements...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 3:01 AM

Quote:
... yeah, because having furniture on your balcony is a trait only found in third world tenements...
Oh calm down, it was just a joke.

Besides, it didn't look like just furniture, I didn't put the picture under a microscope.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 3:20 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I'd rather remark about the low quality of the architecture of that building than the patio furniture of the people living in it.

Come to think of it, I'd rather thank AusTxDevelopment for the nice photos that allow us to peer into the lives of those people.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'd rather remark about the low quality of the architecture of that building than the patio furniture of the people living in it.

Come to think of it, I'd rather thank AusTxDevelopment for the nice photos that allow us to peer into the lives of those people.
I thanked him in the DMs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin