HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:30 AM

when you think about it, there are a lot of buildings that are slowly intensifying the downtown from all sides - scott block on main st, bag factory lofts, the apts. on Adelaide, the spaceship on waterfront, 300 Assiniboine, glass house, the UofW residences, etc. that's a lot of residents slowly moving in over the next few months!

one building I would love to see get a conversion to residential is the western Canada lottery corp/Ceridian tower. it is far-removed from any established office clusters and the building screams for a renovation of any kind. not to mention the views are probably pretty sweet from all sides.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:34 AM

^ Now that you mention it, that building is kind of oddly placed. I guess it's probably considered a Broadway building more than anything else, even though it's located a full block off of Broadway... too bad it wasn't built right at Broadway and Garry.

From what I can tell though, the building is pretty full with a good roster of tenants which makes me think it'll be office for some time to come.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 11:36 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
It seems that most major cities in North America continue to grow and with that the increase of demand for more office space and subsequent development of more towers. Why is it that Winnipeg seems to be the exception to the rule? We always seem to hear that Winnipeg is growing yet we also hear that if any new buildings go up it only means that existing companies are relocating from older buildings to newer ones. What seems to be the reason that Winnipeg can't seem to grow its office demand like other cities instead of just the reshuffling that goes on? Is there no hope for Winnipeg in that regard? Maybe the desire to be like other growing cities just isn't a reality for Winnipeg. The population may likely continue to grow but perhaps we just won't be a city that gets larger in terms of office demand/development.
Winnipeg does all right in terms of office space. We're not really that out of the ordinary. If you compare Winnipeg to somewhere like Calgary, well...we'll always be far behind. In fact, Calgary is a real outlier in global terms for a number of reasons but the least of which is how much office space it requires. Those days may well be over with the price crash at the same time as an accelerated push to alternative forms of energy.

Most cities in the world build themselves around a dense residential core. The North American model is definitely the odd one out. It's actually a good thing that we're heading that way now instead of the old model of spreading out forever.

Remember that when those companies leave for newer buildings, somebody eventually comes along and takes the space they've vacated. When they don't then somebody has to repurpose the space. There's nothing inherently good about office buildings except that they tend to be taller than residential.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 3:23 PM
BANNED

The days of larger corporations relocating to other cities seems to have waned, and the emergence of smaller new start ups seems to be the norm now.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 9:20 PM

still chugging thru the holidays/weather

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 5:45 PM
There is always a way

Question

I think we can safely call this one under construction. If you look carefully on the webcam you can clearly see the core for building 1 above grade by several feet.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:10 PM

^ I would say so. haha

It seems to me, it would be rather difficult to remove all the snow from beneath the rebar. I assume they wouldn't want any snow in there, throwing off the concrete mix.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
still chugging thru the holidays/weather
That same picture is still showing today.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:30 PM

The photo above is a direct link to the construction cam website. So the photo here on SSP will endlessly update to the latest photo on the cam.

Right now it's showing a tag of 11:53am this morning.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It seems to me, it would be rather difficult to remove all the snow from beneath the rebar. I assume they wouldn't want any snow in there, throwing off the concrete mix.
This ^^^ I was wondering the same thing last week. How do they clear the snow from beneath a rebar mat. Must be a huge pain in the ass but clearly something they have encountered before.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:18 PM
the first stamp is free

They have to heat and hoard the new concrete (before, during and after the pour), so that snow will be long gone by the time they actually get around to pouring.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:20 PM

Makes sense. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think we can safely call this one under construction. If you look carefully on the webcam you can clearly see the core for building 1 above grade by several feet.
Yeah drove by the other day for the first time in months and it's safe to say I'd consider it U/C concurrent with SSP technical specifications set forth by the original forefather moderators and administrative brain trust and those involved in the time honored traditions of foundation work, engineering and architecture who grace this fine site daily....lol..

Changed to U/C, sorry for the delay..

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Yeah drove by the other day for the first time in months and it's safe to say I'd consider it U/C concurrent with SSP technical specifications set forth by the original forefather moderators and administrative brain trust and those involved in the time honored traditions of foundation work, engineering and architecture who grace this fine site daily....
Ah yes, the first SSP moderator's conference. I think that was held shortly before I became a member here... there is a photo kicking around from it, maybe on 1ajs' flickr account

Oh wait, here it is:

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 8:44 PM

I missed that original one as I was but a wee lad when I stumbled upon this site and the values and protocol were well entrenched in the SSP constitution set forth by...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:56 PM
There is always a way

To celebrate the status change to U/C:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:58 PM

Formwork now starting on main floor slab. I suspect we should start to see the tower 1 building shape come through over the next month or two.

Anyone know what they'll do for the exterior plaza area? Will there be gravel fill on top of the parkades concrete roof, then paving stones on top? I don't they'd leave the concrete roof slab as the walking surface for the plaza.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:01 PM
There is always a way

I'd imagine it will be a touch nicer than the concrete roof slab. On another note, I drove by last night and you really get a sense of the scale when you look at it from street level. The hole is way deeper than it looks on the cam. This thing is gonna be monumental for dt

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:53 PM

No action on site the last couple days. Cold and wind slowing things down a bit. Although, seems they've made pretty good progress over the last year.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 7:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Ah yes, the first SSP moderator's conference. I think that was held shortly before I became a member here... there is a photo kicking around from it, maybe on 1ajs' flickr account

Oh wait, here it is:

i joined in 2005

first meeting i went to was at the kings head in 2005? or was it 2006
andy6 was at the first wpg meet and greet was held at portage place from what hes told me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan