HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:04 PM

Honestly didn't think it would happen but Milestones has reopened.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:11 PM

When is Little Ceasar's supposed to open in Southlands?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post
I also heard there were plans to open a location in Paradise as well. Not sure about the time frame though.

Hopefully they get the Southlands location opened soon.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post

I'm not sure about when it's opening, but the inside looks completed so I'm guessing soon. They said summer 2018.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 12:29 PM

Denouement:

Spent a great 4 days in/around St. John's last week. Some places we ate as we wandered around downtown, generally all on Duckworth/Water streets with a few exceptions. No particular order:

- YellowBelly Brewing Co.: We got there just as it was filling up, and got directed to the basement. Frankly it was perfect... I love that dark, stone, "inn" feel. Food was fantastic. I had one of their burgers. We were happy to notice throughout the week that no matter where we went, if fries were on the menu, they were ALWAYS fresh-cut... never frozen. Kudos for that.

- Coffee Matters: Were tired after a day of hiking around so stopped in here just before the kitchen closed and scored a ham sandwich, chocolate torte and some coffee. All were great.

- Classic Cafe East: Our final day we ended up here for dinner, as it was just across from our hotel. We'd tried to get in earlier in the week but it always "looked closed", I assume even when it wasn't. Not the best street-front presentation, but the food was good (a few home-style NL fare dishes). I thought I was being adventurous when I tried the "Figgy Duff" with hard sauce for dessert and found out it was basically the EXACT same thing my Acadian maternal grandmother made for us years ago. Anyone comment on that? It's possible it wasn't her idea... my grandfather's origins are more English/Irish so it's possible it came to her that way... regardless it was kind of one of those "ratatouille" moments where something dawns on you as soon as it hits your palate. The host/hostess were awesome, too.

- Rumplestiltskin's: Generic hotel restaurant across from us. Only went there because we'd just arrived and were starving and didn't wanna go far. Meh.

- Moo Moo's Ice Cream: Our last day we walked around Bannerman's park with cones from here. A bit pricey and the selection wasn't great, probably because late in the year.

- Fixed Coffee & Baking: After a few days of eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, our bodies felt the need for some thing a bit "cleaner" so we wandered down here for yogourt and home-made granola. Very hipster, even for a coffee shop. One of those places where every plate, booth, utensil, mug is different.

- Mohamed Ali: We ate a lot of pub food last week, so for one lunch wanted something a bit "other". The shawarma was a bit dry, but the portions were huge (we shared one) and flavourful and the tahini and tzaziki seemed fresh.

- Quidi Vidi Brewing Company: We tried a sampler of their beer. It was all fantastic. They didn't have food and we were JUST at the wrong time (2pm or so) to get into Mallard Cottage, so we ate at the Fish'n'Chip truck outside the brewery, which was pretty good for a truck. Loved the beers, though, and the great views from the tasting bar.

- Chafe's Landing (Petty Harbour): Only place we ate outside town (on a day-tour). Service was friendly, if kinda slow, but it was starting to fill up at lunch time and I hear it's all the rage with larger bus tours. I had the fish-cakes and salad. The cakes were big and very tasty. Live entertainment was good, too. I hear it can be quite the lively place with Irish dancers and the like.

- Zachary's: Another of those places that always "looked closed", even when it wasn't. Ate breakfast here twice, as it was the closest to our hotel. Respectable, "stick to your ribs" diner food.

We realize we only scratched the surface, generally eating at places we were near in our wanderings, instead of thinking ahead and making reservations. There were a LOT of pub-food and pub-food variations; it seems to be "the thing". The food was good (I don't remember ever being dissatisfied) but overall the prices were probably 10-15% higher than I'm used to in Moncton.

Last edited by Nashe; Aug 31, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Denouement:

Spent a great 4 days in/around St. John's last week. Some places we ate as we wandered around downtown, generally all on Duckworth/Water streets with a few exceptions. No particular order:

- YellowBelly Brewing Co.: We got there just as it was filling up, and got directed to the basement. Frankly it was perfect... I love that dark, stone, "inn" feel. Food was fantastic. I had one of their burgers. We were happy to notice throughout the week that no matter where we went, if fries were on the menu, they were ALWAYS fresh-cut... never frozen. Kudos for that.

- Coffee Matters: Were tired after a day of hiking around so stopped in here just before the kitchen closed and scored a ham sandwich, chocolate torte and some coffee. All were great.

- Classic Cafe East: Our final day we ended up here for dinner, as it was just across from our hotel. We'd tried to get in earlier in the week but it always "looked closed", I assume even when it wasn't. Not the best street-front presentation, but the food was good (a few home-style NL fare dishes). I thought I was being adventurous when I tried the "Figgy Duff" with hard sauce for dessert and found out it was basically the EXACT same thing my Acadian maternal grandmother made for us years ago. Anyone comment on that? It's possible it wasn't her idea... my grandfather's origins are more English/Irish so it's possible it came to her that way... regardless it was kind of one of those "ratatouille" moments where something dawns on you as soon as it hits your palate. The host/hostess were awesome, too.

- Rumplestiltskin's: Generic hotel restaurant across from us. Only went there because we'd just arrived and were starving and didn't wanna go far. Meh.

- Moo Moo's Ice Cream: Our last day we walked around Bannerman's park with cones from here. A bit pricey and the selection wasn't great, probably because late in the year.

- Fixed Coffee & Baking: After a few days of eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, our bodies felt the need for some thing a bit "cleaner" so we wandered down here for yogourt and home-made granola. Very hipster, even for a coffee shop. One of those places where every plate, booth, utensil, mug is different.

- Mohamed Ali: We ate a lot of pub food last week, so for one lunch wanted something a bit "other". The shawarma was a bit dry, but the portions were huge (we shared one) and flavourful and the tahini and tzaziki seemed fresh.

- Quidi Vidi Brewing Company: We tried a sampler of their beer. It was all fantastic. They didn't have food and we were JUST at the wrong time (2pm or so) to get into Mallard Cottage, so we ate at the Fish'n'Chip truck outside the brewery, which was pretty good for a truck. Loved the beers, though, and the great views from the tasting bar.

- Chafe's Landing (Petty Harbour): Only place we ate outside town (on a day-tour). Service was friendly, if kinda slow, but it was starting to fill up at lunch time and I hear it's all the rage with larger bus tours. I had the fish-cakes and salad. The cakes were big and very tasty. Live entertainment was good, too. I hear it can be quite the lively place with Irish dancers and the like.

- Zachary's: Another of those places that always "looked closed", even when it wasn't. Ate breakfast here twice, as it was the closest to our hotel. Respectable, "stick to your ribs" diner food.

We realize we only scratched the surface, generally eating at places we were near in our wanderings, instead of thinking ahead and making reservations. There were a LOT of pub-food and pub-food variations; it seems to be "the thing". The food was good (I don't remember ever being dissatisfied) but overall the prices were probably 10-15% higher than I'm used to in Moncton.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and you picked a perfect time to come... this has been one of the best summers on the books! Restaurants do seem to be a bit pricier here compared other parts of the mainland. Thanks for the in depth feedback of our city and its eateries!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and you picked a perfect time to come... this has been one of the best summers on the books! Restaurants do seem to be a bit pricier here compared other parts of the mainland. Thanks for the in depth feedback of our city and its eateries!
It's the island (ferry) tax.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevan View Post
It's the island (ferry) tax.
Not sure how "island tax" explains local seafood prices.

After touring NS this summer, I found seafood dishes at all the little coastal towns, maybe 20 % cheaper than comparable local seafood dishes.

Not just a St. John's thing either! There may well be a good reason, but it was noticeable, and I'm talking locally caught seafood.

Restaurants sampled were maybe more than 12 in NS and comparing to approx. 8 in the last 2 months on the Avalon.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:36 PM

Little Caesar's in Southlands is Open

Little Caesar's in Southlands is open.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:21 AM

I noticed that both Mohamad Ali locations have For Lease signs on them. I’m guessing he didn’t find a purchaser for the business? It will be a sad day when they close up shop. 😢

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:11 PM

I was in St. John's this weekend, and my Great Big Sea friend was very excited to go to the Sundance Saloon... but there was no sign of life in the building.

Something happening there?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
I was in St. John's this weekend, and my Great Big Sea friend was very excited to go to the Sundance Saloon... but there was no sign of life in the building.

What time were you there?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:

Hmm.. not sure??? It may have been bad timing and you hit a lull period. However, since having kids my DT days are limited to going to Freak Lunchbox and Starbucks... . Not sure what the scene is like at the Sundance... bars on George street are a bit faddy. Some are popular for a while, then the novelty wears off and another bar becomes the trendy spot.

I would imagine this weekend will be busy (for the Sundance and all DT bars) since university and college are back in full swing. You may have came out one weekend too early....

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Hmm.. not sure??? It may have been bad timing and you hit a lull period. However, since having kids my DT days are limited to going to Freak Lunchbox and Starbucks... . Not sure what the scene is like at the Sundance... bars on George street are a bit faddy. Some are popular for a while, then the novelty wears off and another bar becomes the trendy spot.

I would imagine this weekend will be busy (for the Sundance and all DT bars) since university and college are back in full swing. You may have came out one weekend too early....
May have been the case. We were there over labor day weekend... taking the final week off prior to the university rush!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 1:59 AM

Quote:

A few years ago Sundance converted itself from a modern-music club to a country bar. Not sure if it's still that way, or if they lost a lot of clientele during the transition. Regardless, Sundance was the place to go downtown when I turned 19. That being said, that was 10 years ago. Since then, more modern nightclubs like Dusk and Martini Bar have really drained the young demographic away from Sundance (also known as the Scumdance, btw).

My George Street days are long behind me. That being said though, if you're on George at the right time (ie. Thursday-Saturday) then it's pretty packed just about anywhere. Summer months can be a little slower just because a large portion of the student population aren't in the city. Also, George Street really starts to bounce around midnight, with peak times from about 12-3am.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:52 PM

Tavola announced via twitter and facebook that they are closing for renovations.

To all our friends and customers - we are closing our dining room for an extended period to do long over-due renovations, repairs and a major re-invention. After five amazing years we are in need of some serious TLC on our 125 year-old bulding, and with some long time staff leaving for various reasons, this presented an excellent opportunity to get things rolling. We're still hosting a few events and special occasions over the next little while, and hopefully we will be up and running again in a new and improved form by Xmas. We have lots of cool ideas and plans for this space, hope to share a glass of wine with you all again soon.

Additionally it looks like Chris Andrews is no longer a partner in Erin's Pub (also according to facebook). Perhaps they are taking down the separating wall?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:33 AM

Article from today's telegram about future plans for Tavola and Erin's Pub.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...-group-241590/

Additionally the Geek Bar is moving into the Relucant Chef's former space

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 3:37 PM

Starbucks as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Not sure if already mentioned but looks like a Harvey's is going in the former Rogers store in Mount Pearl.

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...-johns-232346/
A couple of contractors who are working on the building said a Starbucks is also opening at that location.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 11:36 AM

Harveys

Harvey's to make it's return to Mt Pearl after 30 years or so...

Last edited by Sctttmmy; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:43 AM

Seems extreme pita in the Avalon mall has shut down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's