HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:37 AM
BANNED

The trend now apparently is companies leaving the suburbs for downtown, to appeal to millennials; this correlates with the surge in young people flocking to downtowns to reside. Winnipeg is always late to the game, but you never know. Detroit is seeing great success at attracting so many people downtown.

In terms of attracting new companies, this article is bang on. Omaha, which I refer to a lot, has totally made its downtown and surrounding areas desirable. Winnipeg must take a note. For parts of the Exchange/Chinatown to look the way they do (barren), and especially Point Douglas, is embarrassing.

http://www.grantthornton.global/en/i...-to-your-city/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Bump - to keep refreshed image on current page

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:01 PM
There is always a way

Looks like the main floor slab is starting

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:14 PM

^Yup! I wonder if we'll notice a difference between the slab within the building footprints and the slab for the plaza areas.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:52 PM

I'm going to speculate the trusses are for forming the parkade ramps. Otherwise they're building houses (yes, technical term) to cover the work areas.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm going to speculate the trusses are for forming the parkade ramps. Otherwise they're building houses (yes, technical term) to cover the work areas.
That's what I was thinking. And if you look at where they're set up it corresponds to the location of the parkade entrance as per the renderings

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:13 PM

For the last few nights I have seen a few workers on site around 2 am. I guess they have them there overnight to keep an eye on the heaters for the concrete.

Its also interesting to see the day staff doing stretching exercises at 5am before they start for the day.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 2:35 PM

If you look closely at biff's pic, part of the framing for the ramp to ground level is already built. Hard to tell from the pic, but the ramp down to the second level is already done.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 3:09 PM

Yeah it looks like the ramp from P1 down to P2 is complete already. Maybe they're forming the main floor to P1 ramp? Just the width they have it built to looks like it fits nicely in with the ramp thing. But theres a whole bunch more trusses laying around, so we shall see what happens.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 7:56 PM

some pictures from facing west from City Place on my coffee break about 230 am Friday morning

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 8:57 PM

Thanks cllew. Nice to get a view form another angle.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 9:47 PM

Every couple of weeks when I work the overnight shift I am amazed at how bright the work site is with the LED lights they are using.

Earlier last week when on evenings PCL had half the lights out (something unplugged?) on the tower crane by the powerhouse and it was still bright in the pit at 1030pm when I went home.

Years ago it would have probably been lots of the portable light towers to get the same brightness as the LED's now being used.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yeah it looks like the ramp from P1 down to P2 is complete already. Maybe they're forming the main floor to P1 ramp? Just the width they have it built to looks like it fits nicely in with the ramp thing. But theres a whole bunch more trusses laying around, so we shall see what happens.
I was under the impression during the early proposals for this project that there would be 3 levels of underground parking. Am I mistaken? If not, does anyone know when/why it was changed?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I was under the impression during the early proposals for this project that there would be 3 levels of underground parking. Am I mistaken? If not, does anyone know when/why it was changed?
Ground water in the Winnipeg area has gone up over the last few years. Manitoba Hydro tower across the street had to reduce the number of underground levels if I recall properly.

Looking at the hydrology report for the Waverly underpass the consultant on that project noted that :

"Elsewhere such as the downtown Winnipeg area, the rise has been on the order of 6 meters. With the decline in groundwater use, groundwater levels are rising to the predevelopment levels."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 5:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The meat packing industry in Winnipeg used a lot of groundwater. With its demise, water levels have slowly returned.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 10:10 PM
surely you agree with me

Incredible eh? The Canada packers site (and afew others) lowered the water table in downtown by 6 meters! It's had a significant effect on construction.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 11:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

its a huge problem and i see it causing proiblems with some buildings in the exchange....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 11:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Incredible eh? The Canada packers site (and afew others) lowered the water table in downtown by 6 meters! It's had a significant effect on construction.
its not just downtown is a whole region it affected insane how wet the clay is now...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 2:32 AM

The last couple years my sump pump has run all year long doesn't slow down even in dead of winter

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 3:00 AM

Fascinating. I'm in South Osborne. Cracks in basement floor are always damp now regardless of the season.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan