HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I wonder if Valerie Jarrett is more likely to run now. She has the national profile that Rahm does. Apparently she's on the board of Lyft, which should make all the taxi drivers happy.
She could be a good option. She's a lot like Rahm politically.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Get off your high horse. Do you bring your kid to Stanton Park and play with the kids from the projects every day after work? Sometimes entertaining a few toddlers while their mommas smoke weed on the bench oblivious to what their kids are doing? Do you tell kids to pick up Cheetos bags they throw in your bushes only to have them say "F**ck yo ass". Theres only so much one can do. It's institutionalized poverty by design. So go ahead and defend it all you want, you are the problem by not demanding the individuals change their lifestyles. Ive spent more time with these folks than most anyone on this board, enough to say Im done giving a shit about them, they dont give a shit about themselves or anything else.
I live in Little Village. But please, tell me more about the mean streets of Old Town.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:38 PM

It’s possible someone from Amazon called him and told him Chicago wasn’t HQ2. And given all the other negativity he’s had to deal with, he figured it’s a good time to cut bait, run, And set his sites on other political ambitions for the future. Maybe a senate run?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
It’s possible someone from Amazon called him and told him Chicago wasn’t HQ2. And given all the other negativity he’s had to deal with, he figured it’s a good time to cut bait, run, And set his sites on other political ambitions for the future. Maybe a senate run?
It's possible, but I doubt it. I think he's tired of the job. Who could blame him? He's been a fantastic mayor but gets little praise. That's what happens when you do the right thing and make difficult decisions.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:50 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's possible, but I doubt it. I think he's tired of the job. Who could blame him? He's been a fantastic mayor but gets little praise. That's what happens when you do the right thing and make difficult decisions.
I don't think enough people are expecting Chicago to get HQ2 such that not getting it would be a huge effect (the opposite is true, but I would have thought he had it in the bag anyway). Either he is tired / wants to run for Senate / has some secret scandal we haven't heard about yet is making room for someone else. Who knows, maybe Bezos wants to be mayor in exchange for HQ2

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I don't think enough people are expecting Chicago to get HQ2 such that not getting it would be a huge effect (the opposite is true, but I would have thought he had it in the bag anyway). Either he is tired / wants to run for Senate / has some secret scandal we haven't heard about yet is making room for someone else. Who knows, maybe Bezos wants to be mayor in exchange for HQ2
Agreed about Amazon. He'll probably go make a bunch more cash in the private sector and run for another office in a few years. I would do the same.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:53 PM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
The decline has always been structural. Black people were slaves until 1865, and couldn't even go to the same schools as white folks until the 1960s. Why do you think nearly 30% of black people live in poverty in the U.S.? And then there's just regular ole prejudice that's made it 10 times as hard for black people to get jobs, housing, loans. It's structural racism and there's no excuse for it, or your calling black folks "wild animals". I'm really glad you're wife is ok, but you've chosen a really ugly path to cope with it.
Dude, no one mentioned black until you did. Perhaps you think of black when someone mentions animals? I personally think it's specific to Chicago, which has developed a unique ghetto culture, that is not to be generalized to all poor black people across the country (that, indeed, would be racist).

You're right that there is a racist structural underpinning.

My uncle who recently had a heart attack also had a structural underpinning to his problem - he ate shit for 60 years. But when the heart attack happened, the doctors didn't say "OK fix your structural diet and start eating right, and you'll be just fine." No, he needed an immediate triple bypass and thorough cleaning of his heart, AND a change in diet.

Liberals today, when discussing poverty and crime, only want to mention that African Americans were structurally fed a diet of racism, but they don't want to do the heart surgery because it's a difficult conversation. Specifically to Chicago, the poverty-stricken African American community (middle class is fine of course, or has entirely left) needs:
1) An end to structural racism (redlining, schools, police reform) to be tackled head-on, AND
2) the effects of that structural racism (a perverse, maladapted culture adopted by the criminal elements), to be reformed via serious investment in acculturation.

And speaking of getting shot at - crime maps are one google search away. Not to be insensitive to your plight Mark0, but a full 2/3 of the city is a wasteland of shootings and murders. Why would you buy a house in one of the many shooting zones?

And so what you live in Little Village, Via Chicago, for 1st world people, experiencing a shooting is a deal-breaker. Living next door to over 30+ shootings (little village numbers) this year doesn't give you any more or less credibility to dismiss Mark0's point of view.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:55 PM

Officially, I now have zero idea whom I can vote for. For the past 30 years there has been a leader on LaSalle Street. Now? Just some fucking politician or another. Must do A LOT of research to decide for which of the light-weights I can conscientiously vote.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
If you're trying to insult me you're failing

But your attitude is a prime example of why as long as people of your particular worldview (and those of rahm) continue to lead the city, nothing will change. By your definition, I live in the ghetto (a deragatory term in itself , so you're already alienating people right off the bat) and therefore crime that impacts myself and my neighbor's dosent matter from your perspective. You place a higher value on a rich life than a poor life and act like this is just a normal belief system to hold. You're out of touch with the way the vast majority of the citizens in this city are living, and I couldn't really care less what you think.
So is this thread really gonna spiral into another class warfare discussion??

Via... dude..... the guy’s wife was physically present outside when bullets were flying.... are you really so insensitive that you feel the need to bully him about whatever weird “I hate rich people” resentment you harbor? Do you really think he’s the guy you can sway and influence?

I mean.... I’m happy continuing this line of discussion. But maybe let’s redirect it into what Rahm could have done to improve conditions and safety outside of downtown, and what a new mayor can do.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post

And speaking of getting shot at - crime maps are one google search away. Not to be insensitive to your plight Mark0, but a full 2/3 of the city is a wasteland of shootings and murders. Why would you buy a house in one of the many shooting zones?
The CPD crime stoppers map doesn't even show the shootings unless someone is hit. I'd estimate 90% of the gunfire on the near north side is unrecorded. The areas near the Old Rowhouses, Clybourn crack drive thru after dark and Evergreen at Sedgwick have shots fired daily, in one or all three locations. Hell there was even a 50 shot shoot out in Old Town recently - you prob didnt even hear about that either. Theres a really nasty pocket by the new Jewel Tower too that has a lot of violence. It's just out of control and we all know what the problem is and cant say it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:09 PM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
The CPD crime stoppers map doesn't even show the shootings unless someone is hit. I'd estimate 90% of the gunfire on the near north side is unrecorded. The areas near the Old Rowhouses, Clybourn crack drive thru after dark and Evergreen at Sedgwick have shots fired daily, in one or all three locations. Hell there was even a 50 shot shoot out in Old Town recently - you prob didnt even hear about that either. Theres a really nasty pocket by the new Jewel Tower too that has a lot of violence. It's just out of control and we all know what the problem is and cant say it.
I mean I said it, a perverse maladapted culture. Just don't be a simpleton about it and generalize or paint with a broad brush (not that you have).

Your point is even more alarming. The crime maps we see are shootings where bullets have actually struck a person, i.e., an attempted murder. If there were maps that covered all shots fired, it would probably be indiscernible.

Crime is rarely mentioned in this forum due to the insane boosterism. Like I said, liberals will deny basic facts when it offends political sensibilities (or in the case of this forum, the desire to boost one's city).

Pure insanity below. While other unfortunate suburbs of some cities may have a higher crime rate, the geographic extent of the crime wasteland (20+ miles roughly up and down western ave.) has to be unprecedented in America:

(2016 map but we all know 2018 will look more or less the same)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
Officially, I now have zero idea whom I can vote for. For the past 30 years there has been a leader on LaSalle Street. Now? Just some fucking politician or another. Must do A LOT of research to decide for which of the light-weights I can conscientiously vote.
I'm with you. If the field stands as is, it's Vallas. I do have a feeling a lot more people are going to announce though. My fear is most will be like Chuy and be all about union coddling, public library hours and reopening 50% vacant schools, etc.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'm with you. If the field stands as is, it's Vallas. I do have a feeling a lot more people are going to announce though. My fear is most will be like Chuy and be all about union coddling, public library hours and reopening 50% vacant schools, etc.
Dude. Yes.

I feel like I am now going to watch the city retreat to 1985. It was not pretty. I'm going to the pub. I'll be back tomorrow and pretend that drinking helped in any way.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:38 PM

I’m supporting Garry McCarthy. Until Chicago can regain control of our streets, 2/3 of the city will stay unlivable for anyone who isn’t in extreme poverty or a gang member. Garry reduced our murder rates to its lowest levels before he was the scapegoat for McDonald. If not Garry, then Vallas in the runoff. Maybe Ken Griffin will run and pour some of his own money into investing into our nearly bankrupt city. Anyone who comes out as pro Chicago teachers union or supportive of criminal rights, I’ll avoid like the plague.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:39 PM

Kind of sad to hear. I think he did a lot to drive business in the city.

On the flip side I hear Bezos will resign as CEO of Amazon so that he can run for mayor of Chicago after moving the company here. He has family roots in Chicago as his father was born here. Also I have done the numbers and it looks like according to the stats he would win hands down. It's a done deal

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:46 PM

Let’s just hope for someone who runs Chicago as a global city, and doesn’t abandon its successes to champion a bunch of identity politics driven nonsense, or allow public employee unions to run the city for their own benefit.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:52 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Here's an exclusive interview with Crains: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg-...-his-own-words

My read: 1) he's tired of it, 2) Axelrod might be scheming something.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
lol^

this is great news for the city's much crapped on working class

People like this are, of course, the problem. As if the mayor of an American city is at all responsible for the plight of the working class, or can do anything to help them.

The only way to reduce poverty at the local level or in the short term is for poor people to move away. Cities reduce poverty by gentrifying. Sorry, but that’s a fact. Otherwise there is very little socioeconomic mobility within a generation (it’s very rare and difficult for a poor adult to not remain poor for the rest of their life), and education is something that cities have only limited control over (too much is down to parents or state/federal government).

Cities can attempt to prevent and punish crime (this is a valid criticism of Chicago’s government, but of course money is tight), and they can progress urban development, transportation projects, beautification projects and other public works.

Solving America’s inequality or other social ills is not what we should be asking of city government.

Now, giving the unions the finger and scrapping the city’s defined benefit pension obligations, while it would require the sign off of the state of Illinois, would definitely do some good.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Sep 4, 2018 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The only way to reduce poverty at the local level or in the short term is for poor people to move away. Cities reduce poverty by gentrifying. Sorry, but that’s a fact. Otherwise there is very little socioeconomic mobility within a generation (it’s very rare and difficult for a poor adult to not remain poor for the rest of their life), and education is something that cities have only limited control over (too much is down to parents or state/federal government).
Thats true for the US today. It wasn't always that way, and it also isn't true for plenty of other countries in the world

Keep implementing policies that favor the rich, that are written by the rich, and j wonder who will keep coming out on top...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Like it or not this is how Chicago will solve it's problem(or it will solve itself). I can see Texas and several other southern states having major crime problems in 15 to 20 years as Chicago crime declines.

As for Rahm, I think he will go down as a turning point in Chicago history. He was a business friendly mayor with less machine politics than previous mayors. The next mayor I think will be more like Rahm than let's say a Daley. Let's face it, most city workers hate Rahm. We will have to wait and see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest