HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 11:18 PM

The design is awesome...although I hope it doesn't blend in to the Drury's parking garage too much since the colors are similar. If only the height could double......

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 3:40 AM

Hope this gets built. It would be a nice addition to downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
The design is awesome...although I hope it doesn't blend in to the Drury's parking garage too much since the colors are similar. If only the height could double......
Imagine if it was double the height. It would be a tall skinny building.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 2:28 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

A neat design. I guess I'll have to ignore the fact that it's another hotel. At least there's retail, even if it'll probably be a trinket shop.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 3:47 AM
Closed account

Is anyone concerned there still has been nothing official regarding which hotel company would occupy the building? It seems that info. is usually made public well before construction begins.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 5:26 AM
Meh

This is a decent tower. I also don't see how the commission could speak against it. Despite being modern, it's very respectful of the neighborhood and San Antonio's skyline. It's rather subdued really. It definitely is nice, but doesn't scream for attention. I think this is what will be needed to fly under the HDRC's radar.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 12:41 PM

I still think this was brought before the HDRC, well 1- because it is DT, and 2-for reasons which don't include building it. I think it was a selling tool for the property owner to show potential buyers the possibilities with that property.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Is anyone concerned there still has been nothing official regarding which hotel company would occupy the building? It seems that info. is usually made public well before construction begins.
Its a boutique hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82
I still think this was brought before the HDRC, well 1- because it is DT, and 2-for reasons which don't include building it. I think it was a selling tool for the property owner to show potential buyers the possibilities with that property.
That just seems unlikely to me that the prop owner would go to all that time, trouble, and expense. This is DT, after all, there's plenty of hotels with river-level dining and retail. What is this going to tell potential buyers that they couldn't figure out for themselves, other than how anal HDRC can be?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:04 PM

When I see the rendering of this building, I think of the word "Classy".

I envision a horse and carriage trotting by and nicely dressed folks walking along the sidewalk returning to their hotel room coming from a show at the Majestic theater.

come on!.... HDRC!....Let this one slide!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:52 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
That just seems unlikely to me that the prop owner would go to all that time, trouble, and expense. This is DT, after all, there's plenty of hotels with river-level dining and retail. What is this going to tell potential buyers that they couldn't figure out for themselves, other than how anal HDRC can be?
I didn't think to argue that point, but it is a good one.

miaht82 - any ideas?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Its a boutique hotel.

One thing it could tell potential buyers is that, if it got past the HDRC, is how much it is worth. The property owner, once approved by HDRC, could sell the land with plans and make >5X what it is worth now. But as of right now, all he can do is sell it for what it is and what we, or potential buyers, see it as; an eyesore and decaying property with alot of hurdles in the way.
  • Approval from HDRC and sale; buyer can build a 24 story hotel on property.
  • No approval by HDRC and sale; buyer has to "see" what he can do with the property.
I think it would be and is in his best interest, and worth the expense for him to squeeze whatever potential this property has out of it. I don't think this battle is done, or that it just won't happen. I just don't think it will happen right now. But it is a starting point for that property and it is good to see owners being active (unlike other mentioned fossil/antique/old building/crap owners.)
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 6:05 AM
Paradise

I want this to get built.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 3:17 AM

me too

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 9:58 PM

Well, this is back on the agenda and seems like we finally made some progress. Looks like we're one step closer. I guess the difference is the preservation of the Sullivan interior, whereas before, it seemed as if it was just the shell and facade. Although to some it might just seem like some thoughtful re-wording.

"the Historic Old Sullivan Façade will be restored and
the neighboring new structure will slightly step back and incorporate glass to provide clarity of the old and
new. In addition, at the street level, the new modern structure will have large glass storefronts providing
transparency that will help to 'celebrate' the historic structure."

Quote:
May 05, 2010
Agenda Item No: 13

HDRC CASE NO: 2009-169
IDENTIFIER: Sullivan Building
ADDRESS: 155 E Commerce
LEGAL DESCRIPTION: NCB 106 BLK LOT 33 & 34
ZONING: D HE RIO-3
CITY COUNCIL DIST.: 1
PUBLIC PROPERTY:
DISTRICT: RIO-3
LANDMARK: Sullivan Building
APPLICANT: Douglas Architects
OWNER: Pano Riverwalk Ltd.
TYPE OF WORK: Demolition, Restoration & New Construction

REQUEST:
The applicant is requesting Conceptual Approval to:
1) Construct a boutique hotel project located at the northwest corner of St Mary’s and Commerce consisting
of approximately 125 rooms, meeting space, Spa, Café, Bar and Restaurant. 159 E. Commerce, The 'Old
Sullivan' building with its limestone walls, wood timbers and cistern will be preserved and highlighted in the
new development giving the project a unique 'San Antonio'
identity. The river level will contain the café and bar which will include some outdoor seating along the River
Walk. Between the St. Mary’s bridge and the property, along the River Walk, a new river access stair is
proposed.
At the street level along St Mary’s will be the hotel lobby with a small retail coffee shop located at the corner
of St Mary’s and Commerce. Along Commerce Street, the Historic Old Sullivan Façade will be restored and
the neighboring new structure will slightly step back and incorporate glass to provide clarity of the old and
new. In addition, at the street level, the new modern structure will have large glass storefronts providing
transparency that will help to 'celebrate' the historic structure. The 'podium' of the hotel made up of the
second, third and fourth levels will include a small ballroom, meeting spaces, restaurant and administrative
services. Above the podium, levels 5 - 23 will be guestrooms, with level 24 the Spa level. Above the Spa will
be a pool deck.
RECOMMENDATION:
Staff recommends conceptual approval with conditions As design plans move forward consideration should
be given to: how the building meets the sky, i.e. screening HVAC; the pedestrian level materials, especially at
the corner of Commerce and N. St Mary's; the design of the new river access stairway; and how the
materials wrap the corners. Of particular importance is how the historic landmark building is treated both inside
and out. Even though it is interior to the new portion of the building, it is the exterior of the landmark building
and must be address. The plans for rehabilitation of the landmark building itself should also be submitted and
approved prior to final approval.

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 11:05 PM

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 12:14 AM
Paradise

Oh thank God, I was really losing faith in this.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:57 AM

If this is the future of downtown SA architecture (20-35 stories, modern yet subdued colors and materials), that's just fine with me. Lets become known for density and leave the height to the rest of Texas.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:57 PM
James

Quote:
If this is the future of downtown SA architecture (20-35 stories, modern yet subdued colors and materials), that's just fine with me. Lets become known for density and leave the height to the rest of Texas.
Could not have said it better myself.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 9:11 PM
JACKinBeantown

I agree to some extent... not because of density, but because of intelligent design. (Unfortunate choice of words in Texas, I know but...) Looking back, Michael Graves' design for the bank incorporating the facade of the Majestic Theatre would have been a better choice, but I was against it because the building would have been shorter than the proposed 30-story modern-at-the-time building that never got built. At least now there'd be a better looking 16-story building than the current 13-story one. (I searched but I couldn't find a rendering... sorry.)

But I digress... yes, better buildings over height for the short term because height will eventually make its presence known as available space fills up.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 12:22 AM
Meh

Quote:
Fort Worth has largely gone that route, and it has a very nice and active downtown.

If the residential boom really takes off in downtown San Antonio and brings in thousands of new residents to downtown, don't be surprised then if you start getting more proposals for office buildings since companies will be interested in having their offices so close by to their potential workers. Driving 10 miles to work<walking 10 blocks to work.

Even so, most of those office buildings will probably be small to start. That's what's happened in Austin. Google to space in an existing building, Facebook has come here. And Cirrus Logic, which moved to Austin in 2007 from California, is now building their headquarters in downtown, moving from their suburban office building in Southwest Austin.

I think you'll see that in San Antonio too. And I think down the road there will be larger office buildings planned by developers once demand for space in downtown goes up and up.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
I agree to some extent... not because of density, but because of intelligent design. (Unfortunate choice of words in Texas, I know but...) Looking back, Michael Graves' design for the bank incorporating the facade of the Majestic Theatre would have been a better choice, but I was against it because the building would have been shorter than the proposed 30-story modern-at-the-time building that never got built. At least now there'd be a better looking 16-story building than the current 13-story one. (I searched but I couldn't find a rendering... sorry.)

But I digress... yes, better buildings over height for the short term because height will eventually make its presence known as available space fills up.
Are you talking about the Texas Theater?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio