HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Edgewater II in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 6:58 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Edgewater II | 260 FT | 22 FLOORS

http://www.realen.com/pages/projects.asp?p=edgewater

Title: Edgewater II
Project: 250 apartments
Architect: ??
Developer: Realen Properties
Neighborhood: Logan Square
District: Center City
Floors: 22
Height: 260 feet

Realen Properties is planing to build phase two of the Edgewater Apartments at the corner of 23rd and Summer Streets in the Logan Square neighborhood. The development will go on the surface lot on the corner and will contain 250 units in what looks like a 24 floor tower.

Realan is meeting with the LSNA tomorrow to discuss the project:
http://www.lsnaphilly.org/announceme...erconstruction

Another surface lot bites the dust

Last edited by summersm343; Aug 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:14 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Nice find summer. I like this design better than Phase1 but in that location I wish it was slimmer like 1706 Sansom.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 6:06 PM

It's hard to tell from the the 80's watercolor rendering, but this will not be directly adjacent to the waterfront. It looks like this will be built on the lot behind Edgewater 1, meaning Edgewater 1 will be between this ans the river. I like the height on this (looks like it will be close to double Edgewater 1) and think it will be a nice addition to the waterfront area. Now if only we could fill in the giant lot along 23rs between JFK and Cherry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyskyline View Post
Nice find summer. I like this design better than Phase1 but in that location I wish it was slimmer like 1706 Sansom.
I don't think there is a 1706 Sansom. Did you mean 1706 Rittenhouse?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
It's hard to tell from the the 80's watercolor rendering, but this will not be directly adjacent to the waterfront. It looks like this will be built on the lot behind Edgewater 1, meaning Edgewater 1 will be between this ans the river. I like the height on this (looks like it will be close to double Edgewater 1) and think it will be a nice addition to the waterfront area. Now if only we could fill in the giant lot along 23rs between JFK and Cherry.
Yes hopefully this tower will act as a diversion to those horrific Parktowne commie boxes.

Agree 100% about that enormous parking lot. There is developing happening in all directions around that donut hole.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Yes hopefully this tower will act as a diversion to those horrific Parktowne commie boxes.

Agree 100% about that enormous parking lot. There is developing happening in all directions around that donut hole.
Well lets throw the huge lot at 23rd and Market into the mix

The lot at Cherry and 23rd would seem very desireable for residential with the river frontage - Maybe some pedestrian way using the Septa RR bridge

This genral area of Logan sq is sort of coming together with all the prospects at 19th and JFK too

TJs is expanding too

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 8:19 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Quote:
I don't think there is a 1706 Sansom. Did you mean 1706 Rittenhouse?
Oops! Your correct. At that location it would be nice to see a slimmer tower (although I understand the cost might be prohibitive) because you have the Center City skyline and the emerging U-City skyline in the backdrop depending on what direction you are coming from.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 9:31 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Edgewater I is hideous so the change in style is pleasant. I can see the locals making a stink about the usual issues.

I wonder if they're considering flooding? That area is in the 100 Year floodplain but there have been a couple of storms in recent years nearly that bad (Floyd in '99 flooded that far).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Realen has already met with Logan Square Neighborhood Association to work out the development plan, the community groups seems to be okay with the project. The company is going through the zoning process and anticipates that it could be finished with that process by the end of the summer.
http://phillyshark.blogspot.com/2013...ase-tower.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:16 PM

Looks like this will reach 300 ft

Quote:
While ground-breaking may be a year away, plans for Edgewater II, a 20-plus-story 300-foot tower
Quote:
In order for the tower to be constructed, developers must first receive a variance for the height. When the proposal goes before the Planning Commission this spring, Panek expects the project will be denied for that reason. Then it will go before the ZBA where the LSNA community decision not to oppose will be considered and the project will likely be approved. That means it will still be some time before groundbreaking can take place. As such, it also seems timing is hinged on when financing is made available.
http://nakedphilly.com/logan-square/...i-coming-soon/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:55 PM

There is another corny watercolor rendering on Realen's webpage:

From http://www.realen.com/pages/projects.asp?p=edgewater

I believe the Edgewater II is the one in the middle, which only appears shorter than the Rivers Edge condos to the right in this picture due to perspective. It's not quite as nice as the first rendering, but it does still show that this will have a nice impact from the river trail. By the way, does anyone know where NakedPhilly is getting the 300 ft figure from? It does not appear on either Realen's webpage or the LSNA page (which only has zoning reports posted up to January 2013 at the moment). 300 ft would definitely be a decent height for that location.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
There is another corny watercolor rendering on Realen's webpage:

From http://www.realen.com/pages/projects.asp?p=edgewater

I believe the Edgewater II is the one in the middle, which only appears shorter than the Rivers Edge condos to the right in this picture due to perspective. It's not quite as nice as the first rendering, but it does still show that this will have a nice impact from the river trail. By the way, does anyone know where NakedPhilly is getting the 300 ft figure from? It does not appear on either Realen's webpage or the LSNA page (which only has zoning reports posted up to January 2013 at the moment). 300 ft would definitely be a decent height for that location.
I believe they attended the LSNA meeting, where the developer stated how tall it will be.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:27 PM

Guess not. According to this it will be 22 floors and 260 feet

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...%20website.pdf

Some renderings in there as well

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 8:35 PM

summersm, you are just a Philly development beast if you don't mind my saying! Thanks for finding this. Eh, 260 ft isn't terrible. It's taller than anything around it. The design is a lot nicer looking than Edgewater I. I'm not to thrilled with the pre-cast cladding, but it could be a whole lot worse. Overall I think this will be a nice addition to the Schuylkill water front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Guess not. According to this it will be 22 floors and 260 feet

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...%20website.pdf

Some renderings in there as well

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
summersm, you are just a Philly development beast if you don't mind my saying! Thanks for finding this. Eh, 260 ft isn't terrible. It's taller than anything around it. The design is a lot nicer looking than Edgewater I. I'm not to thrilled with the pre-cast cladding, but it could be a whole lot worse. Overall I think this will be a nice addition to the Schuylkill water front.

Agree on nearly all fronts and additional kudos to Summersm!

I think 260 is not bad for the area at all, and in terms of the cladding, not great but better than the exisitng Riverview it would appear. Not sure we would get much more from this as Realen is sort of mass producer of apartments so this may be the best we can get from that.

I would still love something more grand and substantial on the lot closer to Market on the river but this is a really infill on this small lot - will add a lot the area both for visuals and foot traffic

This will actually frame out 676 on the 76 approach considerably

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Agree on nearly all fronts and additional kudos to Summersm!

I think 260 is not bad for the area at all, and in terms of the cladding, not great but better than the exisitng Riverview it would appear. Not sure we would get much more from this as Realen is sort of mass producer of apartments so this may be the best we can get from that.

I would still love something more grand and substantial on the lot closer to Market on the river but this is a really infill on this small lot - will add a lot the area both for visuals and foot traffic

This will actually frame out 676 on the 76 approach considerably
Thank you both

...and I agree, I think 260 is a fine height. I'd rather have a 22 story tower than a surface parking lot

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Not sure we would get much more from this as Realen is sort of mass producer of apartments so this may be the best we can get from that.
True enough about Realen. I just wish they'd mass produce a little bit faster. They've been sitting on the Liberty Title and Trust building for way too long, and I've given up on Philadelphia Gateway (see also:
PHILAPHILIA Empty Lot of the Week: PennDot PPA Realen Fail Lot). I'm just glad that this looks like it will happen and be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 7:34 PM

The CDR recommended approval of this. I believe it will now bypass the Planning Commission and go straight to the ZBA.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2013/...ons-soko-lofts

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 2:05 AM

more info here:

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 12:16 AM

Wonder if Edgewater will every buyout/get rid of that billboard. Its such a bummer to look at from the trail, can only imagine what it's like to have it right outside your window from Edgewater I. Those nice bright lights must be fun shining in your window as well.

(Photo from: http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...l-river-trail/)

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:09 PM

Seriously handsome addition to the skyline. Hope it doesn't hit any zoning snags along the way,

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive