HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Checked out this site. All it is is NewGeography for libertarians that actually like to live in cities. Joel Kotkin and Co. have that schtick down for the suburban and auto-sewer set, and someone realized there's an opening in terms of a role to be filled by a similar shill on the same general ideological side but without all the very thinly-veiled urban-loathing.

Very 'fake intellectual' stuff, ie the type of content and 'research' and so forth that typically appeals to libertarians and freemarketeer/free-market fundamentalist types......

There's no 'there' there.....moving right along......
OK, sure. The point of my post isn't to discuss/advocate/defend my website or my ideas. I understand that my point of view is a minority among urbanists, and those attending the conference. I did not intend for the ideas on my website to distract from my inquiry. The conference in Boulder will have attendees from a wide spectrum (mostly liberal/progressive) and I'd hope activism in Chicago would be just as diverse.

I am simply reaching out to inquire about pro-development (YIMBY) activism in Chicago, regardless of political/ideological position. If this isn't a proper forum to inquire, I apologize. If there is a better forum to reach potential activists in Chicago, please let me know. If not, email me personally.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ this is a perfectly fine forum to reach out and inquire about pro-development/yimby activism in chicago.

just be aware that this forum tends to be a very ideologically rigid place and your website might turn-off many around here who might be interested in pro-development/yimby activism. just an FYI.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ this is a perfectly fine forum to reach out and inquire about pro-development/yimby activism in chicago.

just be aware that this forum tends to be a very ideologically rigid place and your website might turn-off many around here who might be interested in pro-development/yimby activism. just an FYI.
OK, thanks. Folks, please don't let my website/point-of-view dissuade you from replying. It's not about me, or my website. My point-of-view is one among many, and I don't intend to discuss it here.

If there is activism in Chicago, I just want to be able to connect them with the diverse array of activists in other cities and get them the support they need when I go to the Boulder conference.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 6:47 PM
Urbane observer

I don't know that political or even economic ideology is an issue.

But touting Houston as the model to be emulated . . . well, that doesn't exactly make me want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:12 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I certainly read the site differently......however, and at any rate - using Houston as an example of successful urbanism in any sense to me gives credence to the site/organization being used to promote this ideology of very light/almost no-touch market orthodoxy in the context of real estate development/land use? What else does Houston represent - if not that? Nobody who actually understands cities would even try to highlight Houston as an example of a successful anything "urban", after all.....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't know that political or even economic ideology is an issue.

But touting Houston as the model to be emulated . . . well, that doesn't exactly make me want to subscribe to your newsletter.
I wouldn't tout Houston as a model, but the truth is that most of Chicago's most cherished neighborhoods were built with no zoning.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 7:45 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I wouldn't tout Houston as a model, but the truth is that most of Chicago's most cherished neighborhoods were built with no zoning.
That's true as far as it goes, but when much of the older parts of Chicago was built there was also more of a common understanding about how a city should be laid out, a well-established grid system, and ordinances about building height and frontage consent rules that essentially codified "NIMBYs."

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 8:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
You can absolutely tout Houston as a model. In the best circumstances, the more urban parts of Houston have the same diverse mix of housing types that you see in 1920s Chicago neighborhoods like Ravenswood, Logan Square and Hyde Park. This kind of mixing isn't really allowed today, where many zoning districts don't even allow you to build the buildings that already exist there.

On a city lot in Houston, you build what the market will bear. Zoning doesn't tell you whether to build a single-family, a townhouse, or a 2/3 flat. It doesn't tell you to preserve a huge backyard in a dense neighborhood. The only thing limiting you is parking requirements - which can be a total bear, no doubt, but they're way less restrictive than a full zoning code. As a result, even desirable and reasonably dense urban neighborhoods in Houston tend to be more affordable than their counterparts in other cities.

There is no shortage of urbanity in Houston - most everyone who wants to live close to the center, in a neighborhood full of amenities, can find that for a reasonable price. It's just that most people in Houston want the suburban life, and the lack of zoning enables that as well.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Give me a damn break with this. So the hell what if they are chasing a trend? This is America. Let them build their damn headquarters wherever they want, at least it's in the city. Stop trying to act like you have all the answers. We get that it's a slight hike from the Metra depots. We all understand this. We are not nitwits. Neither is McD's. They will figure it out
Yeah, again - who cares? The great thing about this is that it DOESN'T follow the same conventional site selection logic you keep repeating. Google's regional office was a big step for Fulton Market, but McDonald's headquarters is a giant leap. It is a large number of prosperous, well-paid employees and one of the most global companies there is.

I fully believe McDonald's will bring the mountain to Mohammed here. They will do what it takes to make the transportation work, and provide big political pressure to better integrate this area with the Loop. Imagine if they sponsored the Kennedy cap after their executives get tired of walking across a smoggy canyon of traffic? Or if they threw their considerable weight behind a Loop Link extension west to Ashland?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
human decisions that are very often driven by individual key decision-maker preference, bias, based on 'feelings' and 'gut', and sometimes the result of faulty or incomplete analyses, or based on the wrong or incomplete criteria, and are in many cases highly influenced by outside advise and consultation (which in turn are driven by certain incentives and also those individuals' biases and preferences - and sometimes faulty analyses (or having 'bad' or incomplete criteria for the decision in the first place).
So, they are using essentially the same logic in their decision as you are in your "take-down" of that decision. Somehow, this irony is lost on you.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Imagine if they sponsored the Kennedy cap
lol, theyre big, theyre not that big.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Welcome... I know a few people from Denver going...you should seek out Ken Schroeppel who will be there. He is a friend and runs www.denverinfill.com

Bryan
Sure thing! I'm sure I'll get a chance to meet him.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:40 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
lol, theyre big, theyre not that big.
Seriously? You think this isn't possible? Millennium Park (also built atop infrastructure) was financed with over $120M in private contributions and sponsorship deals.

McDonald's has already sponsored things downtown, mostly minor things like the Millennium Park Bike Station and the dino lab at Field Museum, but with a downtown headquarters I imagine they'd be even more willing to contribute.

A real estate team demonstrated the cap could be financed purely through value capture (creating a new TIF district around the Kennedy corridor), but a large corporate partner could certainly fill in any remaining funding gaps.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

McDonald's has already sponsored things downtown, mostly minor things like the Millennium Park Bike Station and the dino lab at Field Museum, but with a downtown headquarters I imagine they'd be even more willing to contribute.
They do have the Ronald McDonald house in Streeterville. I know its not the same as what you're talking about, but that organization provides a great service for people in and around this city. I never really thought about it until my wife and I had to stay for a few days recently.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:16 PM
BANNED

WeWork

Amalgamated Bank building on State Street reno and 4-story addition. 6/7.

Image via Crains

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:34 PM
TL;DR

^ The Ronald McDonald Foundation is a separate entity than the McDonald's Corporation. But yes, they are a huge recipient of McDonalds philanthropy.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:18 PM

Riverwalk - phase III

4/26

5/2

5/20

6/02

6/06
The walkways under the bridges are hung on the caissons - reinforced concrete will hold this up in the end.

6/07

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:53 PM

Riverwalk

Great pics of riverwalk progress. Thanks for sharing. I'm eager to see what final design looks like for the final strip between Franklin and Lake. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen a drawing. The city website calls this area "The Boardwalk" and has a pretty cool rendering of a pedestrian bridge:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...riverwalk.html

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...eBoardwalk.pdf

However, the construction cam site: http://www.riverwalkexpansion.com/
refers to it as "Room 6" and current progress doesn't appear to be jiving with "The Boardwalk" rendering. Sorry for no images, too lazy at the moment.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Amalgamated Bank building on State Street reno and 4-story addition. 6/7.
Well that is terrible, such a cool little modernist box.

SSDD

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:35 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
I'm eager to see what final design looks like for the final strip [of riverwalk] between Franklin and Lake.
Friends of the Chicago River's free speaker series: Starting July 11, talks take place every Monday, 12:15 -12:45 p.m., in front of Friends' Bridgehouse Museum on the Chicago Riverwalk, 99 East Riverwalk—free and open to the public.

July 25 The Latest on the Riverwalk by Gina Ford, Sasaki Associates

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development