HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:34 PM

Is there not some type of obligation for the City top approve the renos? Such as approving the exterior? Or could they just put up whatever they want? Such as a 10 storey mural of Kermit the frog?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
There are none publicly available yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I asked for further renderings - for some reason the owner doesn't want anything released other than what is already out there.....it is strange.

based on what we have seen I think if whole building follows that theme it will look really nice but I am a bit worried if they are hiding something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I laughed harder than I should at, "Timbercreek treatment". The grey paint makes my soul dance with delight. Not yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is there not some type of obligation for the City top approve the renos? Such as approving the exterior? Or could they just put up whatever they want? Such as a 10 storey mural of Kermit the frog?
tbh I'd take the Kermit Mural over more Timbercreek grey lol

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Paint is not a renovation, you can do whatever you want – including Godzilla Kermit.

The city does have to approve materials, but paint is not part of that.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:00 PM

akman_construction
We are in the process of removing 2/3 of the exterior of this building creating balconies and loft style units!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6A-I9nA1Jk/

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:10 PM

I noticed in the render they had brick shown. Amazing they're leaving the original in place for small strips. I assume it will be painted.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 3:49 PM

Surely there must be some more renders that have been created? I've never seen a large construction project like this with just one render that doesn't even show the whole structure

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:21 PM

Those double floor units have the potential to be so cool. Really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
I noticed in the render they had brick shown. Amazing they're leaving the original in place for small strips. I assume it will be painted.
Looking at the renders, they could just be leaving the original brick. The way you can see the mortar clearly lighter than the brick would imply to me it's not being painted. I think combined with new glass, steel, and concrete, the old brick could look really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Surely there must be some more renders that have been created? I've never seen a large construction project like this with just one render that doesn't even show the whole structure
I was told by a commercial leasing agent it will be getting a full commercial podium. And if you look in the original article, it says "new, ground-level commercial plaza that could contain a café or a restaurant" – which maybe means like a u-shape with plaza/patio in the middle? The building is set back quite far from the street, there's lots of room for them to do something pretty interesting there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:07 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
There are full renders of course, but for some reason the owner doesn’t want them released.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I was told by a commercial leasing agent it will be getting a full commercial podium. And if you look in the original article, it says "new, ground-level commercial plaza that could contain a café or a restaurant" – which maybe means like a u-shape with plaza/patio in the middle?
That is awesome news. That area between St. Mary and Broadway is really starved of good storefront strips... having a nice new commercial plaza at the foot of that building will improve the feeling along Smith Street. I could see it being a reasonably attractive space given its proximity to a couple of other residential highrises nearby.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:21 PM

Also the work platforms they have on those construction elevators are quite impressive!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is awesome news. That area between St. Mary and Broadway is really starved of good storefront strips... having a nice new commercial plaza at the foot of that building will improve the feeling along Smith Street. I could see it being a reasonably attractive space given its proximity to a couple of other residential highrises nearby.
The timbercreek and antares buildings each have an empty CRU, so hopefully some businesses get interested. There are a few locations along that block already (EPH, Fast Signs), so it could definitely be nice to round it out.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:16 PM

^ Antares has done a good job renting out the spaces along the street. It's Timbercreek that needs to up its game, those blank walls at York and Smith are a bit of an embarrassment.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Antares has done a good job renting out the spaces along the street. It's Timbercreek that needs to up its game, those blank walls at York and Smith are a bit of an embarrassment.
I went to look at the empty space in 160 Smith, it's quite terrible. They've done nothing to it to try and even make it look enticing to prospects (floor isn't even levelled, everything exposed to the brick and roofs). It's also a double-wide space, but only has the one small window and door you can see, so it gets almost no natural light. There's also a bunch of mechanical stuff taking up a huge portion of the centre of the space. Overall it's just a really poorly designed building podium.

Looking at Smith overall it definitely has potential to be a pretty active street soon, though it's a shame the Library and PSB designs kill a whole block right in the middle. Quite a bit of residential concentrated on it, eventual possibility of SkyCity site, Sterling Lofts retail spaces, AMC main floor space is prime if they get their act together, etc.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 7:54 AM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 3:47 PM
Back from the dead

Does anybody know if they're going to remove the current cladding or just find something to integrate with the old?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:19 PM

Based on this render, it looks like maybe a fresh coat of grey paint on the existing masonry?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:22 PM

Seems interesting with the 2 storey units. Pretty snazzy. They've already got the floors removed.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 11:29 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 11:41 PM

Other side. You can see evidence of the two storey apartments here. These are a lot more common in the Toronto area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan