HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should there be City sections or SSP: locals for the major cities?
SSP: Locals for Winnipeg, Regina, & Saskatoon 12 21.82%
SSP: Winnipeg; City-section Regina, Saskatoon 8 14.55%
SSP: Local for Winnipeg 5 9.09%
City-section for Winnipeg, Regina, & Saskatoon 1 1.82%
City-section for Winnipeg 6 10.91%
Retain status-quo 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

According to the poll, the wish for change is greater than the wish for the status quo.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
According to the poll, the wish for change is greater than the wish for the status quo.
But for what type of change is the question. Too many choices has the change vote pretty widely split. Always interesting to see how this type of thing plays out.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:28 PM

If Winnipeg wants a city forum of its own, I don't mind. Just leave this forum for Saskatchewan and the rest of Manitoba.

On that note though, I was browsing the regional sections, and was surprised that cities like Detroit and Phoenix don't have their own sections, while Austin and San Antonio do. I suppose there's just not sufficient local interest in the former cities. But I also wonder why the regional sections seem to be so Canada-centric. Over twice as many posts in the Canadian forums as in the U.S. ones? Is some of that due to chatter not strictly related to construction or urban issues?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Yes it is! And I hope the mods will actually listen to democracy instead of just catering to the minority, who may appear to be more "influential" here but are still the minority.

I think at the very least Winnipeg should have a city section within the Mansask forum. I see nothing destructive about that.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:04 PM
surely you agree with me

seriously just leave it....its isnt broken.....what will changing it accomplish?

is it some kind of status symbol,,like finally getitng an ikea or NHL team?....we've got those...we dont need a local forum to prove our worth.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I actually find the Manitoba-Sask section cluttered and disorganized the way it is. It just seems like a random bunch of topics with no rythem or rhym. It seems like threads are consistently going off topic of the actual threads themselves, and that, as a reader is increadibly frustrating. I don't notice that in the other city sections. I think a bit more organization would do this section some good. Ultimately this will happen and I think most people know that. I, for one, will enjoy this forum much more with the additional organization of the threads.
This is my biggest ahhhh..problem with the Man/Sask forum. It is cluttered and for any new members wishing to join or browse or (use a search engine) the forum turns back MANY unusual results directing them to a multi Sask/Man. thread. when looking for specifics on an exact region/topic It's a mish mash of topics that almost make it feel like Man/Sask are the same province?..Yes a bizzarre statement but By passes..Man/Sask? Western Expresso? Thiers so many topics covered but you have to read 100's of posts to get an idea of whats going on...creates traffic and pageviews I'm sure but no specifics. I think a MOD said it best in this forum earlier...Don't change it if it doesn't benifit the site. I disagree with this as the majority so far feel it is time for a change.

I have heard MODS in past threads joke that Winnipeg is on it's 6,7th or 8th tread? Doesn't that show the regular user the views for Wpg. should have been about 5 Million + ? ,not City I City II? Simplify is just my thought. A City of 7-800.000 + should at least warrant a section of it's own?
PS: Love my Sask brothers..This just makes sense? But what does a rookie like myself on such a tight forum like this know. I guess the number crunchers and traffic stat viewers will have the final say. I just hope they view the general consensus that from the votes, the average joe want's change.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
seriously just leave it....its isnt broken.....what will changing it accomplish?

is it some kind of status symbol,,like finally getitng an ikea or NHL team?....we've got those...we dont need a local forum to prove our worth.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. It seems as though just because Van, Cal, Edm etc have these and we don't it makes us inferior.

I reiterate what trueviking asked - what will it change? So to see the Winnipeg stuff we will now have to click on a Winnipeg thread. All of the current and pertinent Winnipeg projects are always visible on the first page anyways.

.....oh well, better hit the gym and get my clicking finger ready.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
This is my biggest ahhhh..problem with the Man/Sask forum. It is cluttered and for any new members wishing to join or browse or (use a search engine) the forum turns back MANY unusual results directing them to a multi Sask/Man. thread. when looking for specifics on an exact region/topic It's a mish mash of topics that almost make it feel like Man/Sask are the same province?..Yes a bizzarre statement but By passes..Man/Sask? Western Expresso? Thiers so many topics covered but you have to read 100's of posts to get an idea of whats going on...creates traffic and pageviews I'm sure but no specifics. I think a MOD said it best in this forum earlier...Don't change it if it doesn't benifit the site. I disagree with this as the majority so far feel it is time for a change.

I have heard MODS in past threads joke that Winnipeg is on it's 6,7th or 8th tread? Doesn't that show the regular user the views for Wpg. should have been about 5 Million + ? ,not City I City II? Simplify is just my thought. A City of 7 million + should at least warrant a section of it's own?
PS: Love my Sask brothers..This just makes sense?
Personally, I don't get the "sky is falling" mentality of some people here if a change should occur. I also don't get the "oh you just want status" or something like that statements being made here either. For me, it is about organization and de-cluttering this forum, which is a giant clusterfuck as it stands.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 5:54 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
But for what type of change is the question. Too many choices has the change vote pretty widely split. Always interesting to see how this type of thing plays out.
The majority of votes for change are for the options that at least advocate for an SSP local for Winnipeg. The majority of those also seem to want city pages or SSP: locals for Saskatchewan's cities.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 6:06 PM

In what way does the current setup prevent us from engaging in the same kinds of discussions that people have in SSP Locals? At the end of the day it's still going to be the same few dozen active posters contributing more or less the same amount of content except it won't be possible to see the active threads at a simple glance anymore.

I could understand if there was some sort of Winnipeg membership boom where you had many new Winnipeg-centric threads starting every week... perhaps there would be a need to better sort them. But is that really a problem now? I don't think so.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:09 PM

Maybe the poll should have only 2 choices

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:30 PM
GQMF

It's like i stepped inside the winnipeg city council meeting. lol Where's Sam Katz?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
But for what type of change is the question.
Declining option polls should give us that answer.

Just to clarify, I don't care what happens.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:56 PM
Source?

My only complaint about the current system is that it is often difficult to find updates on some projects without spending a lot of time digging through a few hundred pages of the main city threads.

Perhaps if we had more project-specific threads (for example the centre point thread) for all construction projects it would be easier to find information. Since there aren't a TON of projects being built I don't think breaking up the forum into locals is totally necessary, but easier access to project information would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:10 PM

I would agree that if there is a thread for a particular project, updates should be posted to that thread rather than the catch-all construction thread. To reinforce this, mods should perhaps be more active in moving posts to the proper thread if necessary.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I would agree that if there is a thread for a particular project, updates should be posted to that thread rather than the catch-all construction thread.
I'd like this, I hate when the exact same huge image updates are posted both to the project thread and the construction thread. I don't think there's anybody who only reads one or the other.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:42 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Well, if anyone outside Winnipeg insists that we should have our own SSP Local, then by all means, and I really want to.

Have we really this time justified our very own SSP Local, since the last time this topic has been discussed seriously?

I'm all for it, but I won't be surprised if the idea for SSP Local: Winnipeg gets shot down again.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 7:59 PM

I have absolutely zero affinity for any further fragmentation. Additionally, while not to sound provincial, I do raise my eyebrows a little bit as to why the fragmentation of Winnipeg from Manitoba and Saskatchewan is being spearheaded by someone who near as we can infer is a resident of neither.

In the tradition of each individual to their own, I'll just click vote and be quiet.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:28 AM

Hi everyone,

Typically with locals they are created when one city or region begins to overwhelm a sub-forum with multiple threads and multiple city-centric discussions.

For creating project threads, if anyone would like to maintain separate project threads over and above general construction or specific top threads please preface them with the city name (i.e. [Regina]) as this make it easier for all visitors to identify city-specific discussions.

Once we see one city's threads clearly dominate a sub-forum we may opt to ask participants whether they would like to see a new sub-forum created for that city or a full blown SSP local.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan