HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:46 PM

If he was gonna pull a cruel practical joke, wouldn't he have gone for something taller than 27 stories?

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:22 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
Most of your San Antonio post seem to question the development here. Why are you so cynical about SAT? Why should we have to wait for a news article or press release to post relevant information, especially when they are from a credible source? Do you remember when you wrote this:

Individual real estate developers/development companies are not siloed from communicating with each other (i.e., on their own little island). It is a very close-knit group of people. Everyone pretty much knows what everybody else is doing long before you or I may hear about it in some type of news media. It’s a “life-or-death” responsibility for individuals in the real estate industry to know what’s going on in their market(s).

Timing is everything in this industry. Developers don’t have the relative luxury of “waiting” or being timid. They “eat what the kill” and if there is prey out there, they’re going to find a way to “kill” it or they will starve. In pretty much any city in the world, if there is huge demand for a specific segment of the real estate market (in this case luxury high-rise condos in SA), then local, national and even international developers will take note and act accordingly.
?
Yes, actually, I do remember writing that. If I may say so, it’s quite good. However, what is the relevance here? Who in this forum actually works in the industry and may have access to this information? Are they considered true “credible sources” or even “authorities?” And how are we to know?

You guys have this “thing” for Andres…And I’m sure he’s really good as the EO of 3D/I’s Central/South Texas Group. But as Complex01 pointed out, are we sure this is the “real” Andres? Even if it is, I’m quite surprised that he has the time to post responses in this or any other forum. Again; in this field, you reap what you sow.

I am not cynical about SA! I, and possibly a few others reading through here, would like to see some type of proof, affirmation, or some type of media buzz regarding a development “rumor” before we celebrate. For example, articles about the “possibility” of a W Hotel in Dallas and in Austin surfaced almost a year in advance of any “official” announcement. I just haven’t seen a single thing about the San Antonio project, which, according to Andres, “closes on June 1, 2007” – By that, I’m assuming it’s really a management contract, which will be signed by Starwood and the developer of the Kress site…

Also, I believe there was a question raised about whether or not this development would include condos…at 27 stories, I believe it may – unless the tower has a very small footprint, thus a taller, skinnier building (or “point tower”). W’s usually have 200-250 rooms; with a small footprint and 10 rooms per floor, I can see how this tower (hotel rooms only) could approach 27 stories.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:23 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

GoldenBoot is the resident fact-checker around here, from what I have seen. And it is important to have that guy, otherwise our board will start to look like one of the 48 different Disney in Houston? that were linked to in the other thread.

That said, sometimes being the accuracy/fact guy makes him look like a hater, which I don't think he is.

I appreciate how GoldenBoot keeps us on our toes and yet, on this one, I don't need any press release to tell me what to believe.

1- Go back and read Andres' posts.
2- Even if it all falls through, it is way more fun to be hopeful and excited than it is to be pessimistic and cautious...

Last edited by sakyle04; May 22, 2007 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:32 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Also, I believe there was a question raised about whether or not this development would include condos…at 27 stories, I believe it may – unless the tower has a very small footprint, thus a taller, skinnier building (or “point tower”). W’s usually have 200-250 rooms; with a small footprint and 10 rooms per floor, I can see how this tower (hotel rooms only) could approach 27 stories.
1 - Andres seemed pessimistic about condos. Very expensive ($400 sf) for a mediocre market.

2 - It is a very small lot. Check out the image below. You could maybe park 10-12 cars side-by-side on the lot (really squeezing them in).

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Yes, actually, I do remember writing that. If I may say so, it’s quite good. However, what is the relevance here? Who in this forum actually works in the industry and may have access to this information? Are they considered true “credible sources” or even “authorities?” And how are we to know?

You guys have this “thing” for Andres…And I’m sure he’s really good as the EO of 3D/I’s Central/South Texas Group. But as Complex01 pointed out, are we sure this is the “real” Andres? Even if it is, I’m quite surprised that he has the time to post responses in this or any other forum. Again; in this field, you reap what you sow.

I am not cynical about SA! I, and possibly a few others reading through here, would like to see some type of proof, affirmation, or some type of media buzz regarding a development “rumor” before we celebrate. For example, articles about the “possibility” of a W Hotel in Dallas and in Austin surfaced almost a year in advance of any “official” announcement. I just haven’t seen a single thing about the San Antonio project, which, according to Andres, “closes on June 1, 2007” – By that, I’m assuming it’s really a management contract, which will be signed by Starwood and the developer of the Kress site…

I basically come to this site to see what may be happening in San Antonio and south-central Texas in general. I am not interested in disputing what other forumers say or in a link to the Business Journal or the local press- many of us read the paper or can link the journals. If that were the case, why bother with this forum at all. With this being said, I have read many post that were in direct contradiction to their links-Austin included. A response to this type of post is usually not worth my time; they most often invite rebuttals from fiercely loyal locals- usually having a better grasp of the local scene- or an agenda. I can't grasp why you choose to do so or why you would even request a link.

The Houston hotel/condo site was announced several months ago. It was presented as- I believe- an upscale hotel project. In San Antonio, what is missing with respect to upscale hotel chains? I myself was tempted to speculate it was a W.

I would like to give you some information on myself. I have been a Construction Manager in Houston for a major homebuilder for the last 8 years. I am an alumni of Trinity and Incarnate Word. I plan to relocate to San Antonio and build mid rise apts, condos, single family homes- land development, and strip centers in the Broadway corridor and far northeast San Antonio (to include San Marcos) in the next two years.

I have no intentions of being confrontational, but let this forum be what it is- not the last word on projects.

Last edited by Schertz1; May 23, 2007 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 3:54 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

As for the Rivercenter mall hotel, I believe the developer said they are looking at Ritz or Four Seasons.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 5:05 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Honestly, Im kind of surprised that we haven't had these high end hotels earlier than Austin. We have a larger tourism industry and a larger convention industry. Its good to hear these names finally popping up on San Antonio's radar!

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 6:12 AM
Meh

I don't want to keep the arguing going, but I will say that I felt the same general way that Goldenboot did/does. I just didn't say anything about it because I didn't want to sound cynical or anti-San Antonio. I was cautious and skeptical but hopeful that this really is him. But the thing about the internet to remember is that it's totally annonymous and anyone can be on here. Broke down janitor, or millionaire banker. Trust me, I've seen it, this forum has had all kinds of people: good, bad, true and fake, honest and liar, poor and rich.

I'm also cautious to just jump in with both feet whenever I see or hear something. It's just something you come to learn and get used to on the internet.

The thing is if a project is "rumored" and you have these rumors happening over and over again about projects that may not even be real or have very little chance of seeing the light of day, then they never come about, that could look bad on the city that they're supposedly planned for. Multiple times of that and it can look bad on the city, and the credibility of people posting about it. Now, I'm in no way suggesting that these hotels are fake, or trying to discredit anyone's news, just saying that sometimes it's not always best to get overly excited about something that may not ever happen. There are some projects that have been mentioned in Austin, (in the media), and I haven't paid much mind to them until I see some firm evidence that they're on track to actually happening. Even the nice big ones that have been quiet I tend to put out of my mind until they make their move. In other words, I don't want to be let down if they never happen. Some projects that are talked about in the newspaper don't give enough details about the project thus making me think they don't have a firm concept going yet on it. So with those I don't even bother with adding them to the compilation lists.

As for the San Antonio bashing goes, I don't believe that Goldenboot was bashing San Antonio or even attacking anyone's credibility or source, just remaining skeptical and objective to things. Although his comment was a bit in your face, I think he was spot on in pointing out at how ridiculous rumors can become if they're allowed to be and if everyone falls for it. Of course let's all be optimistic about stuff and enjoy what we're here for - skyscrapers!

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
As for the Rivercenter mall hotel, I believe the developer said they are looking at Ritz or Four Seasons.
Is this the new San Antonio Trump Tower complex everyone is talking about?

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Is this the new San Antonio Trump Tower complex everyone is talking about?
Huh?

No, the new owner of the Rivercenter Mall is renovating the mall. A hotel is planned.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:19 PM

I guess if people are having a hard time believing it is Andres who is posting then why not call down to the 3D/I offices and ask.

(210) 227-2500

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:20 PM

Can't wait for some official word.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:48 PM

I work for Starwood, and our employee site, which announces all new builds and proposals years in advance, mentions nothing about this hotel. I'm showing W's proposed to open in 2012 and even later, and there are lots proposed, but nothing about a San Antonio W. All I show for TX is a W Austin hotel opening January 1st 2010. For anyone who is interested, here is a list of all new builds for Starwood.

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit Westin 455 rooms + 3001 5762 Not Started Managed 10/1/2008
67 residential units

Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel Sheraton 1000 rooms 1703 5727 Construction in process Managed 10/1/2008

The Westin Jersey City, Newport Westin 429 rooms 3049 5749 Not Started Managed 10/1/2008

W Hoboken W 225 rooms + 1785 5491 Construction in process Managed 10/30/2008
24 residential units

St Regis, Atlanta (Buckhead) St Regis 151 rooms + 1714 5703 Not Started Managed 1/1/2009
50 residential units

W Phoenix Hotel & Residences W 175 rooms + 1786 5704 Not Started Managed 1/1/2009
200 residential units

Westin Miami at Island Gardens Westin 345 rooms 1737 5711 Not Started Managed 1/1/2009

W Atlanta Downtown W 216 rooms + 1788 5712 Construction in process Managed 1/15/2009
86 residential units

St Regis Resort, Deer Crest St Regis 183 condo/hotel + 1588 5529 Construction in process Managed 2/1/2009
27 residential units

Westin Houston, Memorial City Westin 250 rooms + 3108 TBD Not Started Managed 2/1/2009
60 residential units

W NYC Downtown W 217 rooms + 3154 TBD Not Started Managed 3/31/2009
222 residential units

W Boston Hotel & Residences W 234 rooms + 1787 5710 Not Started Managed 4/1/2009
111 residential units

Westin Syracuse Westin 350 Rooms 3152 TBD Not Started Managed 4/15/2009

W Hollywood W 300 rooms + 1789 5705 Not Started Managed 5/1/2009
150 residential units

W South Beach W 419 condo/hotel 1599 5702 Not Started Managed 5/1/2009

W Philadelphia Hotel & Residences W 250 rooms + 3029 5744 Not Started Managed 8/13/2009
100 residential units

St Regis Resort, Bahia Beach St Regis 24 rooms + 126 condo/hotel 1961 5745 Not Started Managed 9/1/2009
Puerto Rico

Sheraton Puerto Rico Sheraton 504 rooms 1523 5707 Not Started JV 10/1/2009
Convention Center

W Austin W 235 Rooms TBD TBD Not Started Managed 1/1/2010

St Regis Bal Harbour St Regis 182 rooms + 36 condo/hotel + 1591 TBD Not Started JV 7/1/2010
24 fractional + 268 residential

Westin Baha Mar Westin 624 rooms +86 condo/hotel TBD TBD Not Started Managed 1/1/2011

W Baha Mar W 192 Rooms + 87 condo/hotel TBD TBD Not Started Managed 1/1/2011

St Regis Baha Mar St Regis 105 rooms + 85 condo/hotel TBD TBD Not Started Managed 1/1/2011

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 7:56 PM
Austinite

^^^^ Thanks for the listing! Another observation... I also do not see an entry for the Westin Hotel proposed at The Domain here in Austin. Perhaps they are not listed until the deals are finalized? Just curious.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 8:01 PM

Nothing is listed because nothing is finalized or a done deal as Andres has said. June 1st is when everything should come together.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:02 PM
Go Saints!!!!!!

uh huh...........just like the trump charlotte everybody's been waiting on with all these reliable sources, but no official words or even hinting of anything. i'lll believe when the shovel hits the dirt.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:36 PM
Endless Moments...

June 1st. 2007 - Judegment Day...

What will happen???

Will some feel like this ===>

Or like this ===========>

We will just have to sit and wait. Personally this is me ===>

Anyone care to join...

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 3:16 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

No doubt June 1st is a big day, but if I wake up on the 2nd and haven't heard anything, it won't mean any deal is dead...

If I wake up August 1st and have heard nothing, then I think disappointment will set in.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 7:57 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I think that there could be a chance of a W hotel in San Antonio, but one of the things holding it back is the clientele in San Antonio, there probably isn't enough of a business presence downtown yet to attract the high-paying customers needed to build a W Hotel.

Last edited by Double L; May 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 9:39 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

This is true...if companies would stop building out in the middle of no where....we would have WAY more of a business presence downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio