HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 3:21 AM

I hope not. People are still driving down to GFK for cheap fares from Allegiant. More choice usually means better pricing

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 4:16 AM

Yes but with westjets experience and jetlines routes I do not see that as a bad thing

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 5:18 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanYWG View Post
I hope not. People are still driving down to GFK for cheap fares from Allegiant. More choice usually means better pricing
I don't know why. If you're not completely set on your dates, Westjet Vacations is actually cheaper.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:37 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovell007 View Post
I honestly would not be surprised if westjet bought jetlines right at the start so jetlines does not take over
Why throw good money after bad? WS has a strong financial position and just like AC they could bleed 'em in the market if they ever get off the ground.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't know why. If you're not completely set on your dates, Westjet Vacations is actually cheaper.
This is Just one of the reasons westjet is one of the best airlines

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Why throw good money after bad? WS has a strong financial position and just like AC they could bleed 'em in the market if they ever get off the ground.
You have a good point We do not westjet going bankrupt like Air Canada has multiple times

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ If you seriously go to Flin Flon, then I'm guessing you'll appreciate getting there in a 737... that will be an upgrade.

It's interesting that they picked Flin Flon of all places... typically the larger national airlines go to Thompson when they actually go to Northern Manitoba. I think WestJet tried once or twice but couldn't make it work.

Northern Manitoba gets the shaft when it comes to air travel generally... three small cities and a whole whack of small settlements means that there is a fair number of people living up there, but the population base is way too spread out to sustain air service by major carriers.
I would bet that Flin Flon would see service 2X/week. ( . . or at the very most - 3X.) Calm Air and Perimeter are the dominators in Manitoba.

'737s are great 'n stuff; however, the inflight durations of 'jet'-powered aircraft are marginally less over shorter distances than turboprops. ('jet' = high-bypass turbofan, which is essentially the same as a turboprop.)

I think Thompson would have been more of a practical destination though.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 4:36 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
This is Just one of the reasons westjet is one of the best airlines
Oh, I prefer Air Canada any day of the week when I can get it...of course, soon it won't matter, as they'll both be flying the same 737s sans shoulder room.

Air Canada will still have far better in flight, especially with the addition of wifi that's happening far faster than Westjet.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Oh, I prefer Air Canada any day of the week when I can get it...of course, soon it won't matter, as they'll both be flying the same 737s sans shoulder room.

Air Canada will still have far better in flight, especially with the addition of wifi that's happening far faster than Westjet.
Well I would do that to but I do not have money to throw around every time I go on vacation

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:19 AM

There has been pretty much ZERO growth since the new terminal went up. Sure there are a few new winter destination's but as far as flight volume goes its pretty much been the same the last 5-6 years. The only real growth lately has been WS Encore service to YQR and YXE. Maybe the demand simply isn't there...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:37 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanYWG View Post
There has been pretty much ZERO growth since the new terminal went up. Sure there are a few new winter destination's but as far as flight volume goes its pretty much been the same the last 5-6 years. The only real growth lately has been WS Encore service to YQR and YXE. Maybe the demand simply isn't there...
Winnipeg airport just hit its highest ever passenger numbers. Seems like there is growth, even if it isn't happening as fast as some would like.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Well I would do that to but I do not have money to throw around every time I go on vacation
Westjet is usually less money for vacations, so I take Westjet....doesn't mean I would if I had the choice. I'm not sure why everyone is so in love with them. They're just an airline.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 6:43 AM

I read that Allegan operates under a different model than most other airlines. They take older, off lease plans which have higher operational and maintenance costs. They then shrink the seat pitch to extremes but so has WestJet. They then fly out of lower volume airports where they can get deals on their terminal costs. They also heavily monetize every cost including charging for carry on and even seat selection, no free 24 hour window there. The age of the aircraft can also lead to some nasty delays in departure times. All that said, the lower lease and terminal costs drive some significant savings which get passed on to the customers.

If Jetliners goes for this same model of operations instead of trying to fly 737 Max like AirCanada and WestJet plan to they definitely have an opportunity. The question is can they keep the costs down.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 11:56 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Westjet is usually less money for vacations, so I take Westjet....doesn't mean I would if I had the choice. I'm not sure why everyone is so in love with them. They're just an airline.
They are a far better airline than AC. Better check-in service, friendlier staff, better aircraft (Embraer aircraft are turds, RJs are too damn small) and most important of all far quicker baggage unloading.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 4:08 PM

I find that there is little real difference between AC and WS apart from the obvious (AC obviously has a far larger route network). I usually pick AC just because of the frequent flyer benefits as WS' new FF program is very weak... the occasional "free" trip or upgrade is nice. But if it weren't for that it would make no difference whatsoever to me.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 5:58 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It makes a huge difference if you are connecting from a foreign country through Toronto. AC baggage handlers are frequently too slow to allow the connection. Has happened to me many times, never happens on WJ.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It makes a huge difference if you are connecting from a foreign country through Toronto. AC baggage handlers are frequently too slow to allow the connection. Has happened to me many times, never happens on WJ.
If WJ was an International Airline I would take WJ everywhere So I am totally with you riverman

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 8:46 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I find that there is little real difference between AC and WS apart from the obvious (AC obviously has a far larger route network). I usually pick AC just because of the frequent flyer benefits as WS' new FF program is very weak... the occasional "free" trip or upgrade is nice. But if it weren't for that it would make no difference whatsoever to me.
That's exactly how I feel...except that Air Canada, at current, has far more shoulder room.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 9:12 PM

Quote:
That's exactly how I feel...except that Air Canada, at current, has far more shoulder room.
Because we all know how much shoulder room matters and not customer service baggage handling or any thing else like that.Even Westjet PILOTS are better I have not once seen an air Canada pilot let a child in the cockpit but every time I go on west-jet at least 1 child gets to go in the cockpit this is the exact reason why everbody is in love with westjet the company that would be a way better flag and name bearer airline so you

Old Posted Feb 22, 2015, 11:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

We just came back from San Jose Del Cabo. My baggage was all wet going in both directions, not sure why, and the unloading took over 30 minutes to begin in both Winnipeg and Vancouver. My brand new bags were dirty, scuffed, and damaged. I can have anecdotal evidence too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan