HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
AC has become more agile over the years at responding to fluctuating demand levels. I remember 20, 25 years ago it was not uncommon to be on flights that had a lot of empty seats. By 2019 that was fairly rare unless you happened to be on a flight that was repositioning a plane for some reason.
Yes & good example of it Air Canada (AC) since 2021 has been using 1 heavy plane ✈️- a 787 or A330 doing the Montreal-Calgary-Montreal in Western Canada.

Not surprising as with Saskatoon & Regina-Montreal flights which is Summer (seasonal) only. Basically AC’s 1 heavy daily between Calgary & Montreal has a lot of extra capacity to accommodate alot of Saskatchewan passengers heading to Montreal via Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:51 PM

Flair Expanding its flights including new service from YEG-YQR!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8277670/f...-october-2021/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM753Fan View Post
Flair Expanding its flights including new service from YEG-YQR!

https://globalnews.ca/news/8277670/f...-october-2021/
Edmonton – Regina (YEG-YQR) - 2x weekly starting April 14, 2022

Edmonton – Saskatoon (YEG-YXE) - 3x weekly starting April 15, 2022

Great news! Hopefully this will force Air Canada will reinstate non stop Edmonton flights from Regina.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Oct 19, 2021 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post

Great news! Hopefully this will force Air Canada will reinstate non stop Edmonton flights from Regina.
That's great news.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:22 AM

Quote:

It’s Not going to Force Air Canada to resume Edmonton- Saskatoon & Regina nonstop flights✈️. As WestJet will be Flairs main competition on Edmonton- Saskatoon & Regina flights & along with Rider Express bus company which has the only Alberta nonstop bus service departing from Edmonton to Saskatoon/Regina.

AC is likely to be more focus on competing with WestJet on Calgary - Regina & Saskatoon nonstop flights departing Alberta which has more passengers demand & is more profitable✅.

Last edited by Calfan12; Oct 21, 2021 at 9:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
AC is likely to be more focus on competing with WestJet on Calgary - Regina & Saskatoon nonstop flights departing Alberta which has more passengers demand & is more profitable✅.

And remember that Air Canada is a hub-and-spoke airline. Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are their main hubs, which is why we have good service to the first three (and sometimes even service to Montreal). Even the flights we have to Winnipeg and Edmonton are primarily intended as secondary spoke flights - when flying Air Canada, I've connected through Edmonton and Winnipeg more than I've simply flown there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 1:03 PM

I have no idea if this will actually happen but this AC schedule is showing A220 replacing CR9 in early-mid January from YQR-YYZ.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...schedules.html

Its probably the closest thing to the old E190 in terms of capacity, in the AC fleet currently.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 1:09 PM

Quote:
I have no idea if this will actually happen but this AC schedule is showing A220 replacing CR9 in early-mid January from YQR-YYZ.

Its probably the closest thing to the old E190 in terms of capacity, in the AC fleet currently.
Not surprising. January/February is peek season for sun destinations from Saskatchewan. Could even see that peeking back to an A320 during that period especially given the situation with Delta.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:

It’s been back and forth all year. The Airbus A220-300 production hasn’t delivered any new planes to Air Canada since June 30. It was supposed to be the new A220-300 flying to Regina in Sept, and then was pushed back to November and now the new year. I was able to fly on the plane recently and it’s gorgeous (2 larger bathrooms at the back compared to the match box in the CRJ900). It will be well worth the wait once it fully replaces the CRJ900 on the YQR-YYZ route.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Oct 26, 2021 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Hard to say what will happen. The A220 was supposed to start in June, and then that was pushed back to September, and now it's pushed back again. The schedule you see in the future (4 months down the road) was input a long time ago, but they are updating it more frequently as the uncertainty with travel still lingers. For instance, if you try and book a flight on Westjet for instance next March, you might see them flying their Boeing 737-600 series. That plane has been retired from the Westjet fleet for many months now, and is not coming back.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 7:36 PM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
I’m very surprised this wasn’t already a route I thought there was an established route the whole time. It just seems like common sense to be honest. Nevertheless, this is great for both cities.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I’m very surprised this wasn’t already a route I thought there was an established route the whole time. It just seems like common sense to be honest. Nevertheless, this is great for both cities.
It has been off and on over the years. I could have sworn it was operating right up until the pandemic?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 1:59 PM

Quote:
It’s been back and forth all year. The Airbus A220-300 production hasn’t delivered any new planes to Air Canada since June 30. It was supposed to be the new A220-300 flying to Regina in Sept, and then was pushed back to November and now the new year. I was able to fly on the plane recently and it’s gorgeous (2 larger bathrooms at the back compared to the match box in the CRJ900). It will will be well worth the wait once it fully replaces the CRJ900 on the YQR-YYZ route.
I've just been on it on a brief YUL-YYZ trip. Let's hope this happens!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 5:03 PM

Looks like Flair is expanding their network to Winnipeg from both Regina and Saskatoon next Spring. Interesting to see if there is enough demand to fill 189 seats between these city pairings.

https://storage.googleapis.com/flyfl...9d1d9ba52d.pdf

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Looks like Flair is expanding their network to Winnipeg from both Regina and Saskatoon next Spring. Interesting to see if there is enough demand to fill 189 seats between these city pairings.

I feel like the agribusiness sector alone could fill those seats with regularity. I always welcome having more flights between Winnipeg and Regina or Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:06 PM

Was flying Porter recently and noticed their expansion map with their new Embraer E195-E2s in the inflight magazine:

Looks like Saskatoon is on the map, but not Regina unfortunately. In an interview in July, Michael Deluce mentioned "places like Regina, Saskatoon..." for Porter's western expansion - hopefully the boss' words are right and the map was just a oversight!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I feel like the agribusiness sector alone could fill those seats with regularity. I always welcome having more flights between Winnipeg and Regina or Saskatoon.
As long as the are round trip the same day at good times for business people. I just had someone in YQR today who had to drive from YWG for a meeting.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
Was flying Porter recently and noticed their expansion map with their new Embraer E195-E2s in the inflight magazine:

Looks like Saskatoon is on the map, but not Regina unfortunately. In an interview in July, Michael Deluce mentioned "places like Regina, Saskatoon..." for Porter's western expansion - hopefully the boss' words are right and the map was just a oversight!
I wouldn't read too much into that picture of potential destinations. I'm sure things will change as they build up their fleet with the new aircraft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan