HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 2:45 PM

I saw a green zoning poster for a liquor license posted in the NE corner of the building. The best location for a classy bar/restaurant!!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
It's been kind of quiet on the potential hotel front.
The DSD site shows a fire flow test on the property requested on June 20. It ain't nothin.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:07 AM

Unfortunately it looks like the hotel may have been scaled back to 19 floors with an overall height of 238' 8"

At least we're seeing progress. 19 floors is still a nice building.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:20 AM

Sorry no development news here... but has anyone seen any progress on the bar supposedly opening at Luhrs this fall?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Sorry no development news here... but has anyone seen any progress on the bar supposedly opening at Luhrs this fall?
You're referring to Bitter and Twisted (love that name). There is a liquor application in the window on the corner of Jefferson and Central so my guess is until it's approved they're not starting construction.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:29 AM

What was the original proposed height? It was originally 26 stories, so the drop to 19 isn't so bad... But, of course, it would've been nice to break 300' since 1) the southern part of downtown could use some true skyscrapers with most of the buildings being scaled back to similar heights as the new hotel and 2) they're knocking down a historic structure for this.

Regardless, demolishing the building seems inevitable so we might as well get it over with and get some people in that area. Another hotel will do wonders for Luhrs' retail potential and for CityScape.

Smeone mentioned upthread that the garage was being demolished in addition to the central building- any idea why? I can't imagine the hotel spanning the entire width of the block? I still don't understand why the hotel can't be built in place of the garage but it's a done deal.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
You're referring to Bitter and Twisted (love that name). There is a liquor application in the window on the corner of Jefferson and Central so my guess is until it's approved they're not starting construction.
According to their Facebook page, the license has been approved.

They were planning to open in September or October as of late August; has any work been completed, or is there no way this is possible?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
What was the original proposed height? It was originally 26 stories, so the drop to 19 isn't so bad... But, of course, it would've been nice to break 300' since 1) the southern part of downtown could use some true skyscrapers with most of the buildings being scaled back to similar heights as the new hotel and 2) they're knocking down a historic structure for this.

Regardless, demolishing the building seems inevitable so we might as well get it over with and get some people in that area. Another hotel will do wonders for Luhrs' retail potential and for CityScape.

Smeone mentioned upthread that the garage was being demolished in addition to the central building- any idea why? I can't imagine the hotel spanning the entire width of the block? I still don't understand why the hotel can't be built in place of the garage but it's a done deal.
It was originally announced to be 26 floors. It's unlikely that the southern part of downtown will ever get true skyscrapers due to being in the flight path of Sky Harbor. Nineteen floors isn't so bad. It will be on a more similar scale as the 10 and 14 floor Luhrs Building and Tower. Hopefully the exterior of the Marriott will be more traditional looking (i.e. brick/stone) to match the Luhrs buildings. It would be a shame to see something that looks like the Palomar go up adjacent to those two Art Deco buildings.

Last edited by nickw252; Sep 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:15 AM

I noticed Hansji (the developer) updated their website. They list the project as a 20 floor dual brand Marriott/Courtyard hotel.

Quote:

United States

Marriott Residence Inn/Courtyard by Marriott – Downtown Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ

Located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix (Central & Jefferson)
Development of 315-room - 20 story dual brand hotel – two brands/one tower
http://hansji.com/projects/

I also stumbled upon Degen and Degen which lists the Luhrs Center as one of their projects (no details). Anyone know about Degan and Degan?

http://www.ddseattle.com/p_inp_a11nanchang.html

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:10 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
It was originally announced to be 26 floors. It's unlikely that the southern part of downtown will ever get true skyscrapers due to being in the flight path of Sky Harbor. Nineteen floors isn't so bad. It will be on a more similar scale as the 10 and 14 floor Luhrs Building and Tower. Hopefully the exterior of the Marriott will be more traditional looking (i.e. brick/stone) to match the Luhrs buildings. It would be a shame to see something that looks like the Palomar go up adjacent to those two Art Deco buildings.
It would be a shame to see something like the Palomar go up anywhere, its a bad building.

I totally disagree that the new building should be faux historic though. That goes against most HP standards. New buildings/additions, should read as new so as not to dilute the historical significance of the actual old buildings.

A well done modern building could complement the old buildings extremely well. Perhaps the most famous example is IM Pei's glass triangle in front of the Louvre.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 4:12 AM

There looks to be some movement on a new permit for the hotel... Project #13-2753 LUHRS SOUTH "LUHRS MARRIOTT COURTYARD/RESIDENCE".

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 5:36 AM

We need a new construction item to keep us busy. Bring more on!!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:25 AM

Weird, I thought I saw something in the minutes of a recent meeting where it sounded like the developer had asked for an indefinite extension citing lack of funding given the economy. Maybe that was for the other components of the project, or I made this up?

Anyway, hard to get excited over the demolition of a historic structure for what renderings show as a bland, beige structure with less height than the Palomar. Additionally, are these not the same brands that would be taking over the Hotel Monroe likely?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:47 AM

New action on the 08-3377 Plan

I'm ready to see another tower crane.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:59 AM

Interesting...the hotel entrance will be off Madison, figured it would be off Central.
Quote:
Plan # LPRN T57868
Plan Description LUHRS HOTEL
Project 08-3377 LUHRS CITY CENTER

Scope Text = THE PROJECT IS LOCATED AT 132 S. CENTRAL AVENUE, AT THE CORNER WITH MADISON STREET, IN PHOENIX.

THE PROJECT IS BEING DEVELOPED ON A 41,512 SF LOT (0.953 ACRES).

THE STRUCTURE WILL BE A 19 STORY TYPE 1-B FULLY SPRINKLERED, CONCRETE HOTEL BUILDING WITH A BASEMENT LEVEL ANDS A POOL DECK
ON THE FOURTH FLOOR.

PARKING IS PROVIDED IN THE ADJACENT 5 STORY PARKADE STRUCTURE LOCATED AT 130 S. 1ST AVENUE.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 6:01 AM

The demo permit is confusing...partial interior demo? Pick-up of existing striation for relocation?

Quote:
Plan # LPRR T57866 Issued Expires
Plan Description BLD DEMO AND PARKADE REMODEL
Project 08-3377 LUHRS CITY CENTER

TOTAL PARTIAL INTERIOR DEMOLITION OF
PICK-UP OF EXISTING STUCTURE(S) FOR RELOCATION TO

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 6:05 AM

Yes, it says "main entrance." This was to be dual-branded, so would there maybe be a second entrance on Central for the second brand? Otherwise, hopefully a restaurant or something opens to Central... Which do you guys prefer for the main entrance? Both have benefits.

The demo permit mentions a partial interior demo and relocation of existing structure... Does any of that mean a possible facade restoration? Or, is it a fancy way if saying that they're demolishing the building but keeping the parkade?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 6:06 AM

Lol, us nerds must've just blown up their permit review system.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 3:27 PM

Alright, I think I may be confused a bit...

Is the Luhrs 19-story permit for a new hotel?

Then the Hotel Monroe is the rehab and conversion to a hotel. I realize this sale finally just closed.

Two separate projects, correct? I think I just answered my own question...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:26 PM
BANNED

I think it's great news. Glad their keeping the parking garage as it kind of has a deco style not many above ground garages have. Glad to get another tower, but why 19-stories? Why not 20? Is their a reason? I'm just curious since The Hub in Tempe is 19-stories.

Dang it, break the change jar on the counter and build the extra damn floor!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest