HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 2:54 PM

The Perimeter is in East St. Paul. There are ESP residents inside the perimeter. So they are connecting their own community. If that's in fact the way this goes. I could see one potential issues of shortcutting as you mentioned. People head through Raleigh to headmaster to lag. Instead of using access from Birds hill rd.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:20 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Perimeter is in East St. Paul. There are ESP residents inside the perimeter. So they are connecting their own community. If that's in fact the way this goes. I could see one potential issues of shortcutting as you mentioned. People head through Raleigh to headmaster to lag. Instead of using access from Birds hill rd.
This is a good thing though because it takes pressure off of that intersection. Honestly there should be more of these flyover-style connections on major roads in the capital region. Just because roads intersect doesn't mean they should connect. I'm thinking of a few instances on such roads as Bishop, Chief Peguis, and route 90 to be specific. Same with Lag along its length.

Connecting neighbourhoods without forcing people to take the main roads is a good way to alleviate pressure on routes that should be freeways.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 3:38 PM
What could go wrong?

This will really not be that big of a deal. The big issue before was that ESP was going to allow WalMart to build just inside the Perimeter causing excess traffic on these COW residential streets.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 4:50 PM

I give it 3 years before Raleigh is opened to all traffic. As a resident of ESP, I’d rather not see this and instead a proper controlled interchange at 59/202. Safer for all.

Same problem on 100 / 101; God forbid we drive 2 miles to a proper interchange.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 8:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Raleigh will be open in a monthish
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 3:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

(ON) Shoal Lake 40 Freedom Road Completed!

https://www.drydennow.com/local/shoa...s-freedom-road

Construction of Freedom Road to Shoal Lake 40 (ON) is finally finished. Now we can finally talk about twinning TCH between Falcon Lake and Kenora.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Raleigh will be open in a monthish
This is just about done. Fantastic job, a real pleasure to bike through, although the asphalt path still isn’t finished. There are traffic control arms at both ends of the tunnel, to thwart the three Corollas and one Wagoneer that might want to traverse it daily. Need to save Browaty’s roads to the south from this deluge of traffic.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:57 AM

Nothing like riding a motorcycle on Saskatoba highways.

Drove a Honda 750 motorcycle from Killarney MB to Regina via Melita, Oxbow, Carlyle, and Stoughton.

The Good.
MB Highway 3
SK Highways 13 and 18

The mediocre
MB Highway 83
SK Highway 9 and 33 (about 40%)

The bad
MB Highway 18
SK Highway 33 (about 60%)

The bad - badly need resurfacing due to too many patches to count and outright holes that need to be filled. Several times my front tire would catch in the "Trolly Tracks" and I'd get the speed wobble that would scare the crap out of me. Got used to it as the day went on but was never comfortable. Highway 18 in Manitoba was supposed to get major work done on it this summer but aside from some new culverts, all work seems to have halted. SK Highway 33 issues aren't quite as bad but did not enjoy the poor sections at all.

The mediocre - MB Highway 83 and SK 33 were fine to drive but they will be in need of care to get the heavy truck ruts that are slowly starting to form.

The Good - They were very good, kept a steady 100kph on the throttle and felt completely safe as I roared down the highway. Any patches that were made were expertly feathered into the existing pavement to make the transition smooth. BZ to the highway maintenance crew!

All in all a good ride although I should have worn gloves since I burnt both hands today!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:00 PM

^ I'm not sure which part of MB 3 you were on, but I had occasion to drive down it for the first time in years when I had to visit Morden last week.

I was generally impressed with the state of the highway from Winnipeg to Morden, but the traffic volumes seemed very high for a 2-lane road. Loads and loads of semis and other industrial/farm trucks, and this was just a regular weekday morning.

I'm not sure what the order of priority is for future twinning projects, but I would imagine 3 from Winnipeg to at least, say, Brunkild, has to be high up on that list.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm not sure which part of MB 3 you were on, but I had occasion to drive down it for the first time in years when I had to visit Morden last week.

I was generally impressed with the state of the highway from Winnipeg to Morden, but the traffic volumes seemed very high for a 2-lane road. Loads and loads of semis and other industrial/farm trucks, and this was just a regular weekday morning.

I'm not sure what the order of priority is for future twinning projects, but I would imagine 3 from Winnipeg to at least, say, Brunkild, has to be high up on that list.
I’ve thought about it for quite a while too: is it possible to fit a freeway-to-freeway interchange (100 to 3 and vice versa) near Oak Bluff?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’ve thought about it for quite a while too: is it possible to fit a freeway-to-freeway interchange (100 to 3 and vice versa) near Oak Bluff?
That would be the appropriate thing to do IMO, but the combination of awkward siting (Oak Bluff comes right up to the intersection) and limited budgets (i.e. not enough to reroute the highway around town and/or to build a systems interchange) means that this intersection is slated to receive a diamond. Plans were announced some years back but it still hasn't happened.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

#3 West from Killarney to the SK border (you travel past Deloraine, Medora, Melita and Pierson). 3 turns into highway 18 in Sask and it is in very good shape as well. There is still quite a bit of oil field traffic in that part of both provinces.

In Manitoba, Highway 3 (west of Killarney) got a major rebuild about 5 years ago (I think). Last year I drove 3 east of Killarney and the province was working on it between Manitou and Morden. I agree with you that 3 south of Perimeter needs to be twinned for a certain amount of distance.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

So far we’ve talked about twinning 3 to 100 and 14 to 75. IMO there should only be free-flowing interchanges between twinned highways. Anyone artistic enough to draw up the designs for both?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:03 PM
Back from the dead

^Which highway are we talking about here?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
^Which highway are we talking about here?
A few pages back, we talked about twinning 14 from Winkler to 75. Then we discussed twinning 3 from Morden to Winnipeg (Oak Bluff).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:01 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was looking at the design of the eventual upgrade of the south perimeter to a full-fledged freeway. The future interchange with Highway 3 does envision it to be a divided 4-lane highway.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I was looking at the design of the eventual upgrade of the south perimeter to a full-fledged freeway. The future interchange with Highway 3 does envision it to be a divided 4-lane highway.
In the year 2052

By then we will havw flying cars and we will finally have upgraded the peeimeter to 2019 standards.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

6 needs more passing lanes added to it its like the autobaun in places

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
In the year 2052

By then we will havw flying cars and we will finally have upgraded the peeimeter to 2019 standards.
Maybe we can even teleport then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
6 needs more passing lanes added to it its like the autobaun in places
I heard the province "was supposed to" twin it. There better be cloverleaves between 6 and 101 in that case.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 2:09 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
#3 West from Killarney to the SK border (you travel past Deloraine, Medora, Melita and Pierson). 3 turns into highway 18 in Sask and it is in very good shape as well. There is still quite a bit of oil field traffic in that part of both provinces.

In Manitoba, Highway 3 (west of Killarney) got a major rebuild about 5 years ago (I think). Last year I drove 3 east of Killarney and the province was working on it between Manitou and Morden. I agree with you that 3 south of Perimeter needs to be twinned for a certain amount of distance.
Highway 3 is pretty good now for it's entire length (was there in January 2019 - travelled the length from Melita to WPG).

18 is supposed to be fixed between Ninette and Killarney, so I've heard.

They will probably never fix 18 between Lena and the border.. which is a shame. A lot of pig barns in that area avoid the highway and take gravel roads because they are in better shape. That stretch from 3/18 junction south is horrible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan