HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:49 AM

Sorry, but I still don't get why some of you were so excited about the first design. Especially since it is right next door to the Canopy.

That first design would not have filled out that corner the way the second, and certainly the current design does. It would have been out of place.

Those that like the first design, can you give SPECIFIC reasons other than it was unique, (how so?), or "ground breaking", (again, how so, seemed pretty ordinary to me)?

I'll agree, the river level looked very nice in the first renderings, but I have no reason to believe that will not be the case in the final form.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:49 AM
JACKinBeantown

^^ For lack of a better descriptive, it looked like a giant picture frame encasing the building and attracting your eye. The material looked like it would have been top notch (at least in the renderings). It was unique in that no other building looks anything like it, but in a good way... not in a shiny glass "look at me" way. There's too much glass in cities already... San Antonio doesn't need a bunch of glass buildings for them to be noticed and respected. People put too much stock in glass. Glass doesn't necessarily make it good or modern. It was elegant and simple but certainly not plain. To make an analogy, to me it fit of the mold of, "Don't tell people you're smart, just be smart and they'll think it for themselves." People would have been taking pictures of it and posting them on Instagram (or wherever) much more than will happen with the approved version.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Sorry, but I still don't get why some of you were so excited about the first design. Especially since it is right next door to the Canopy.

That first design would not have filled out that corner the way the second, and certainly the current design does. It would have been out of place.

Those that like the first design, can you give SPECIFIC reasons other than it was unique, (how so?), or "ground breaking", (again, how so, seemed pretty ordinary to me)?

I'll agree, the river level looked very nice in the first renderings, but I have no reason to believe that will not be the case in the final form.
I agree. The only "unique" aspect of the first design was that it was a box with a slight turn, similar to the overpriced, underdesigned Convention center next to the Grand Hyatt downtown.

This new design is very pretty. And I think they changed it because of the changing architectural landscape and desire for more glass – something I believe the frost tower had much influence on. If the Hilton Canopy took place a 1 year later, I bet there would have been more glass, but at current, I am not unhappy with the design. It's one of my favorite projects right now.

Last edited by Fryguy; Jun 13, 2018 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 2:00 PM
Paradise

The first design was just very beautiful and different to me. Would have been perfect just needed to be a little taller imo. The second one is great, however. I still really like this project and hopefully it’s a design catalyst for that area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:35 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
The first design was just very beautiful and different to me. Would have been perfect just needed to be a little taller imo. The second one is great, however. I still really like this project and hopefully it’s a design catalyst for that area.
This current design is actually the third design.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:11 PM

@restless 1, nothing to really "get". We can all share what we think here. But remember, they are opinions. Not right, not wrong.p Personally I like taking them all in weather I agree or not.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Same here. I appreciate all opinions. I also appreciate all respect for each other.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:43 AM

^

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:39 AM
JACKinBeantown

That was just a comment on how it's good when everybody shows each other respect. That's something that's good about this forum. Everybody here loves buildings and construction. That's our shared nerd superpower and it's a good one.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:30 AM

Sorry Jack, I meant to give a arrow with a thumbs up sign! Dont know why it put the question marks?!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Sorry Jack, I meant to give a arrow with a thumbs up sign! Dont know why it put the question marks?!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That was just a comment on how it's good when everybody shows each other respect. That's something that's good about this forum. Everybody here loves buildings and construction. That's our shared nerd superpower and it's a good one.
For me, I'm pretty easy to please. Yes, I think most of the new stuff popping up around SA probably wouldn't blow anybody from Austin, Houston, or Dallas away because they're used to seeing modern 40 floor construction on a regular basis. However, what we are getting is very much better than what was there before. At least we're not going backwards. We've seen nothing change in SA for so long, so to see what's happening the past couple of years has been refreshing. The Pearl went from an eyesore to an absolute gem in a relatively short amount of time...and it is still growing. I believe that the developments we're getting in the short term will set the precedent for future growth. When Frost is done, some developer will come along and desire to 1-up the Frost Tower. We are fortunate enough to have elected officials that really understand the need to keep SA competitive on the national level, especially with an estimated 1 million more residents expected by 2040.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntransplant View Post
For me, I'm pretty easy to please. Yes, I think most of the new stuff popping up around SA probably wouldn't blow anybody from Austin, Houston, or Dallas away because they're used to seeing modern 40 floor construction on a regular basis. However, what we are getting is very much better than what was there before. At least we're not going backwards. We've seen nothing change in SA for so long, so to see what's happening the past couple of years has been refreshing. The Pearl went from an eyesore to an absolute gem in a relatively short amount of time...and it is still growing. I believe that the developments we're getting in the short term will set the precedent for future growth. When Frost is done, some developer will come along and desire to 1-up the Frost Tower. We are fortunate enough to have elected officials that really understand the need to keep SA competitive on the national level, especially with an estimated 1 million more residents expected by 2040.
I agree with a lot of what you have said. But, I have been casually browsing the Austin and Houston pages. And I would take the Frost Tower over anything new going up in either of those cities. If someone 1-ups the Frost Tower here in town than that would be a truly awesome building. Also, let's not forgot how great San Pedro Creek is and will be. With development on lower Broadway, River North, downtown, Southtown, and San Pedro Creek going on simultaneously San Antonio is taking a giant step forward.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on your statements!

Two thoughts:

We are San Antonio, and not Dallas, Houston or especially Austin. You can clump these three cities together, but San Antonio is "different, historical, and unique"

And who said bigger and taller is better?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
This 100%. It's absolutely my opinion on our current development in San Antonio. I love that we are finally getting more modern developments and I hope this sets a precedent for future growth. That said, I love the new design of the Floodgate and I'm really glad the developers didn't settle for a generic design after deciding to increase the height of this project.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:17 PM

Also agree! Theses developments IMO are currently the best things going not just in TX, but pretty much a anywhere!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Also agree! Theses developments IMO are currently the best things going not just in TX, but pretty much a anywhere!
All we have seen of both the first design and the second design are pretty renderings that (esp in the case if the second plan) hardly show what it will look like. It is all gauzy and watercolored. I’m sure after it gets value engineered to something that is actually buildable, you won’t like it as much.

I hope the project works, but obviously the first interation didn’t pencil out, so we’ll see.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 11:40 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
All we have seen of both the first design and the second design are pretty renderings that (esp in the case if the second plan) hardly show what it will look like. It is all gauzy and watercolored. I’m sure after it gets value engineered to something that is actually buildable, you won’t like it as much.

I hope the project works, but obviously the first interation didn’t pencil out, so we’ll see.
I’m not sure I’m understanding. Are you saying we might not like the 17-story design?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 1:00 AM

0h, I'm pretty sure I'll like it!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I’m not sure I’m understanding. Are you saying we might not like the 17-story design?
I’m not saying you won’t like it. I’m just saying that conceptual renderings for HDRC are very early designs, intended to get prelim approval before a bunch more money is spent on additional architectural and engineering work.

As that process moves forward, change is inevitable, so just that there’s not a whole lot of point debating which of those two designs are better.

But, as I write this I realize how curmudgeonly I sound, and really it’s fun to talk about cool stuff in SA, so just ignore me and carry on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio