HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 5:57 PM

I'm gong to move this convo to the Winnipeg roads and infrastructure thread.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:46 AM

Hello everyone,

My parents and I received a big shock yesterday. We found out that the Province's current plan for expanding the Interchange at 101 & 59N requires the expropriation of a sliver of land that bisects my parents home, where I now live. This evening we met with a representative from MMM Group, a engineer from Infrastructure and Transportation and manager from the Crown Lands Offices. They indicated that this sliver of approximately 1.977 acres cuts through the middle our house. They also want us to move on or before March 31st next year.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 1:24 AM

Pretty hard thing to deal with. Do you guys support the project or is this kind of a kick to the nuts? No disrespect intended.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
Hello everyone,

My parents and I received a big shock yesterday. We found out that the Province's current plan for expanding the Interchange at 101 & 59N requires the expropriation of a sliver of land that bisects my parents home, where I now live. This evening we met with a representative from MMM Group, a engineer from Infrastructure and Transportation and manager from the Crown Lands Offices. They indicated that this sliver of approximately 1.977 acres cuts through the middle our house. They also want us to move on or before March 31st next year.
That really sucks... I'm sorry to hear that. Are they buying you guys out, at least?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 3:02 PM

Anybody ever notice how short the green cycle is for 101 @ hwy 6?

Last night I was approaching the intersection on 101...the light turned green and literally 5 seconds later the 'prepare to stop' ambers started flashing....because one car pulled up on 6. My opinion is that on a highway that carries so much traffic, including so many semi trucks, the number of stops should be minimized (or ideally eliminated). If there needs to be traffic detectors installed at that intersection then at least increase the 101 green time to a minute minimum. I don't understand what MIT is thinking there.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:11 PM

Might be worthwhile to call MB Govt traffic engineering 204-945-3772 and let them know as the controller could be malfunctioning.

There are enough problems with the City of Winnipeg signals when things get damp that I would guess the provincial ones would also go bad .

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Anybody ever notice how short the green cycle is for 101 @ hwy 6?

Last night I was approaching the intersection on 101...the light turned green and literally 5 seconds later the 'prepare to stop' ambers started flashing....because one car pulled up on 6. My opinion is that on a highway that carries so much traffic, including so many semi trucks, the number of stops should be minimized (or ideally eliminated). If there needs to be traffic detectors installed at that intersection then at least increase the 101 green time to a minute minimum. I don't understand what MIT is thinking there.
Its been like that a long time. There are vehicle sensors but the programming is messed up. Pulling up on 6 or the left turn lane on 101 almost immediately changes the lights

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Might be worthwhile to call MB Govt traffic engineering 204-945-3772 and let them know as the controller could be malfunctioning.

There are enough problems with the City of Winnipeg signals when things get damp that I would guess the provincial ones would also go bad .
Thanks, I will.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:51 PM

^ If it's an issue of equipment malfunctions, then I wish MIT kept on top of that a little better. It's nuts that traffic on the dominant route (like the Perimeter or TCH) almost always has to stop at traffic signals with the short cycles in place. The main route should have a much longer green light than the secondary route... you typically see this in the US.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:07 PM

A main route would also have an overpass for the secondary to crossover with a cloverleaf. Manitoba Highways is under the impression that some time in the future overpasses will become cheaper or will be made redundant when electro-magnetic cars come into affect.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:18 PM

Is there really enough local expertise to build several large overpass projects at the same time? The CentrePort one finished last year and the 101/59 is gearing up. After that there will likely be something happening in the south-west corners (303, 2, 3, etc). The HWY 6/101 overpass is further down the line and part of the CentrePort build out plan.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:22 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Is there really enough local expertise to build several large overpass projects at the same time? The CentrePort one finished last year and the 101/59 is gearing up. After that there will likely be something happening in the south-west corners (303, 2, 3, etc). The HWY 6/101 overpass is further down the line and part of the CentrePort build out plan.
Cory,

Don't want to be a nay-sayer, but the Provincial government blew their chance at doing the right thing on Hwy 15 and 101 a few years ago when they didn't put an overpass in place and then added insult to injury by building a THREE LANE BRIDGE over the floodway.

And here is the because:

Because, the peak times for Hwy 15 were only the two rush hours of 7 to 9 and 4 to 6. Even though truck traffic has increased two fold since their last count.

And a further because that walks the halls of the 'LEGe', because as long as the Municipality of Springfield is Conservative (rotten Ronny Schuller) and not NDP, hell could freeze over and they wouldn't get an overpass.

History tells us that the Manitoba Provincial governments plays favorites. The Conservatives have always been the best road builders, extending all the way back to Duff Roblin's father, who built the bridge to nowhere out East of St.Annes, Walter Weir, who built the YellowHead up through Minnedosa, his home constituency. And, the NDP is not without fault either, Joe Borowski, built the road (Hwy 6) to Thompson and we have a bridge North of Selkirk that went through a certain NDP'r property. Good road building brings in good voter turnout.

Chances of what you are saying will happen depends on how the polls go for the government in power, so history says.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Cory,

Don't want to be a nay-sayer, but the Provincial government blew their chance at doing the right thing on Hwy 15 and 101 a few years ago when they didn't put an overpass in place and then added insult to injury by building a THREE LANE BRIDGE over the floodway.

And here is the because:

Because, the peak times for Hwy 15 were only the two rush hours of 7 to 9 and 4 to 6. Even though truck traffic has increased two fold since their last count.

And a further because that walks the halls of the 'LEGe', because as long as the Municipality of Springfield is Conservative (rotten Ronny Schuller) and not NDP, hell could freeze over and they wouldn't get an overpass.

History tells us that the Manitoba Provincial governments plays favorites. The Conservatives have always been the best road builders, extending all the way back to Duff Roblin's father, who built the bridge to nowhere out East of St.Annes, Walter Weir, who built the YellowHead up through Minnedosa, his home constituency. And, the NDP is not without fault either, Joe Borowski, built the road (Hwy 6) to Thompson and we have a bridge North of Selkirk that went through a certain NDP'r property. Good road building brings in good voter turnout.

Chances of what you are saying will happen depends on how the polls go for the government in power, so history says.
Not only did hwy 15 get screwed with that ridiculous three lane bridge, 101 traffic also has to contend with traffic lights and very frequent, slow moving (and sometimes completely stopped) trains. I have seen traffic backed up both ways on 101 for 2 kms or more. Left turning traffic of 15 to NB 101 backed up past the turn lane holding up 15 through traffic because the COW still thinks twinning Dugald between Plessis and 101 is not worth the investment. Then once the train finally clears, sitting and waiting for all that traffic to disperse through those damn traffic lights. I agree the province really screwed up on that intersection. Personally I feel the $70 million that is allocated for Plessis underpass would have done much more good by being put towards a rail overpass/interchange at Dugald/101.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfeather View Post
Its been like that a long time. There are vehicle sensors but the programming is messed up. Pulling up on 6 or the left turn lane on 101 almost immediately changes the lights
Called and logged my complaint...traffic engineers will be notified and look into the issue. Hopefully MIT traffic engineers respond to light timing issues faster than the city ones do.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:51 PM

Part of the issue with 15/101, which I did not previously mention, is the 20+ year plan for a replacement highway for Springfield with four lanes running between Dugald and Oak Bank. This would have a full interchange at 101 near Gunn Rd and tie into Chief Peagus/CentrePort Canada Way giving a single high speed, (in theory) grade separated route from 206 to HWY 1 west of Headingley.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Mind-blowing how that intersection tops the city's priority list over rush hour nightmares like Bishop/St. Mary's, Bishop/Waverley and Lag/Fermor!

The only positive I take out of it is that the word 'interchange' actually DOES exist in the City of Winnipeg's vocabulary. I hope now they start throwing that word around more often!
That stretch between the Mint and Springs Church on Lag is one of the most dangerous stretches I drive regularly. Too many places for people to turn into and out of, many of them in a bend when people are barreling down the road between 80 and 100, really needs some TLC. Can't recall many serious accidents, but I've seen more close calls there than everywhere else combined.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
That stretch between the Mint and Springs Church on Lag is one of the most dangerous stretches I drive regularly. Too many places for people to turn into and out of, many of them in a bend when people are barreling down the road between 80 and 100, really needs some TLC. Can't recall many serious accidents, but I've seen more close calls there than everywhere else combined.
Haha yup...my personal fave is the median crossover (without a dedicated left turn bay of course) off Lag immediately north of Fermor...for a gas station of all things. I have seen a couple rear-enders there and MANY more close calls.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Haha yup...my personal fave is the median crossover (without a dedicated left turn bay of course) off Lag immediately north of Fermor...for a gas station of all things. I have seen a couple rear-enders there and MANY more close calls.
.....and don't forget the Robin's and the apartment complex that the roadway goes to.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
That's a vintage stretch of roadway left untouched since it was first built in 1966 why change it. Leave paved shoulders, six-lane roadways, overpass's for progressive cities like Fargo, Regina and Saskatoon!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Cory,

And here is the because:

Just out of curiosity, which is the bridge to nowhere east of St. Annes?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan