HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I haven't seen a map where it shows how resounding a win was by the shade or blue or orange. Do you have a link?
Right? The ability to find a good election map has been horrendous. Almost everybody online links to the same crappy one - which also isn't mobile friendly.

The map I saw was on twitter this morning, I'll post if it pops up again.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:15 PM

There's a nice user made map on wiki

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Riding.svg.png

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:18 PM

Student vote. 165k ballots cast across all 87 ridings.

http://studentvote.ca/results/ab2019

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Student vote. 165k ballots cast across all 87 ridings.

http://studentvote.ca/results/ab2019

Apparently, Catholic school teachers were sending this home with children after having discussed it in class:

LINK - https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/com..._at_my_school/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Obviously UCP is the ruling party, but of these three still undecided electoral districts, I hope Toor does not make it in. It is just not right to have a temporary foreign worker as a slave and still be able to make in into political office.

LINK - https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...nce-vote-count

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
There's a nice user made map on wiki

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Riding.svg.png
Nice! Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:07 PM
DRINK

Honest question...

For those that are unhappy with the UCP, would you rather turn back the clock to the days of the PC's? While they obviously had some baggage as a result of their political dynasty....use of gov planes....penthouse.....etc....was it really that bad?

I cant help but think the vast majority of those who strongly oppose the UCP (and many moderates who held their nose and voted for the UCP) would be much more accepting of the fairly central approach the old PC party had. It was obvious that 2015 didn't actually reflect the real Alberta and it would go down in history as a weird blip in our record books...not some sort of dramatic shift in our politics that some foolishly believed was occurring.

So yeah, would any of you jump in a DeLorean and go back in time and change what you did?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:11 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Honest question...

For those that are unhappy with the UCP, would you rather turn back the clock to the days of the PC's? While they obviously had some baggage as a result of their political dynasty....use of gov planes....penthouse.....etc....was it really that bad?
Many of us are not fans of Klein. To us, Klein is an embarassment. Stelmach was an improvement but Redford signalled that the part had been around too long and needed to reform. The decision to reform under someone who modelled himself after Klein. . . yeah, we're definitely not impressed. Some of us do feel a bit threatened.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:28 PM

Hard to believe that the communist Anne McGrath is even close.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:41 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Many of us are not fans of Klein. To us, Klein is an embarassment. Stelmach was an improvement but Redford signalled that the part had been around too long and needed to reform. The decision to reform under someone who modelled himself after Klein. . . yeah, we're definitely not impressed. Some of us do feel a bit threatened.
Oh man I've heard stories about Ralph. Back in his days at the Leg my partner was deeply entrenched in the inner workings of the legislature and was one of Klein's informal handlers. He'd make problems go away for him, cover up his indiscretions, Make sure he got back to his apartment after getting so drunk in his office he couldn't walk. Every once in a while a carton of cigs or a bottle of scotch would show up at my S.O.'s door. The Klein days were a carnival, and it didn't just stop with him.

One of the best things was Klein & Decore going at it in the house like they were about to jump across the floor and kill each other. Then behind closed doors they'd be best friends. All the politicians were like that. They're probably still like that.

Klein was not a social conservative. He wasn’t even really a conservative, he was a populist. He resonated with Martha & Henry, and Alberta is still mostly Martha & Henry’s. There were however quite a few social conservatives who had very secret lives. The ones who were some of the most religious fundamental social conservatives with really ugly skeletons in the closet were apparently the worst to deal with *cough*StockwellDay*cough* Klein was everyone's best friend, but remember, Ralph Klein was never in charge. Rod Love pulled all the strings and made things happen. All the cuts and privatizations were at his hands, not Kleins.

One thing I couldn't get over was how bad the infrastructure in this province was when I moved here, and it's still garbage. For such a rich province the place is a dump. I spent years putting band aids on hospitals that were so far gone it was amazing they were still standing. The conservatives let this place go to shit, and it's still shit, even after 15 years of trying to fix it. That to me is totally irresponsible and not the proper way to manage assets.

Jason Kenney on the other hand has done some really horrid things. Yes that was a long time ago, but he's proven just how much he's willing to ignore to get into power. I don't see how principled conservatives are going to be able to stand with him in the long term, that could be the UCP's downfall.

Last edited by 240glt; Apr 17, 2019 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
One thing I couldn't get over was how bad the infrastructure in this province was when I moved here, and it's still garbage. For such a rich province the place is a dump. I spent years putting band aids on hospitals that were so far gone it was amazing they were still standing. The conservatives let this place go to shit, and it's still shit, even after 15 years of trying to fix it. That to me is totally irresponsible and not the proper way to manage assets.

Jason Kenney on the other hand has done some really horrid things. Yes that was a long time ago, but he's proven just how much he's willing to ignore to get into power. I don't see how principled conservatives are going to be able to stand with him in the long term, that could be the UCP's downfall.
I will let Kenny have a chance, He is like Harper and will have his hands full with the back benchers.

And I as well have made a pretty good career at fixing the Infrastructure that was left to decay. I still remember doing a test on a hospital OR in a small town. That OR was never used since we could see into the OR from the AHU.

We will see if Kenny lets things slide. At Least the NDP understood we were way behind on Infrastructure.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 9:11 PM
HVAC guru

^ I remember when we worked on the AHU's for the OR's at Foothills. The machines that provided air to the seven operating theatres. Rusted out floors with standing water underneath them, broken P traps gassing methane into the air stream, rotten acoustical insulation full of mould in the plenums. It was terrible.

I will say, as much as I'm not a huge fan of Alberta or Edmonton, this province delivered on the "Alberta Advantage" to me anyways. When I was hired over the phone to come from Vancouver to Calgary in Y2K my salary doubled overnight. It almost doubled again when I moved to Edmonton. Without the last 19 years in Alberta we sure wouldn't be shopping for semi-retirement property on Kootenay Lake right now, that's for sure.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ I remember when we worked on the AHU's for the OR's at Foothills. The machines that provided air to the seven operating theatres. Rusted out floors with standing water underneath them, broken P traps gassing methane into the air stream, rotten acoustical insulation full of mould in the plenums. It was terrible.

I will say, as much as I'm not a huge fan of Alberta or Edmonton, this province delivered on the "Alberta Advantage" to me anyways. When I was hired over the phone to come from Vancouver to Calgary in Y2K my salary doubled overnight. It almost doubled again when I moved to Edmonton. Without the last 19 years in Alberta we sure wouldn't be shopping for semi-retirement property on Kootenay Lake right now, that's for sure.
You're a true progressive. As long as you get your share you don't give a fuck about anyone else.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:51 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
You're a true progressive. As long as you get your share you don't give a fuck about anyone else.
Does that make you a true conservative? As long as you get your share, you don't give a fuck about anyone else?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:22 AM

I think they are both human.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Does that make you a true conservative? As long as you get your share, you don't give a fuck about anyone else?
When have I ever said anything to make you think that? I want the entire country to prosper which is basically what Jason said all campaign. I've never advocated for another region's industries to be shutdown.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:59 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
That’s sad you think that. I certainly don’t agree with your politics but I’d never say you don’t give a fuck about anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I think they are both human.
I agree. I appreciate the voice of reason. Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 11:00 AM

Goddamn the first thing Kenney bas said he’s going to do is confront BC and threaten hi turn the taps off. Albertans, congrats on electing a constitutional crisis making nightmare.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 5:42 PM
ARTchitecture

I mean, not that I support Kenney, but BC most definitely did that first when they threw up economically devastating road blocks against Canada's prosperity. Kenney is responding in kind.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:48 PM

To be fair, BC didn't actually end up doing anything to block the pipeline or it's product despite their bluster. Neither has Alberta, yet. If we do, that's when the game changes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia