HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:50 PM

Oakland nimbys going to have something to say about this

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:55 PM

Not sure if this has ever been posted... and it's not anything too exciting, but the other day I noticed what looks like residential construction on the Northside between the Parkway North/28 ramp and Veterans Bridge.

The new home for Light of Life Rescue Mission near Madison, E. Lacock, and Progress streets.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 4:04 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

^I've been watching that building go up. It is quite prominent from RT 65N near the E. Ohio St and Chestnut St exits. Without knowing too many details, this seems to be a much better location for Light of Life than the current location on W. North in the Mexican War Streets.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:43 AM

My wife told me tonight AIA is trying to get architecture, engineering, and construction re-classified as "life-sustaining businesses" in order to get all of the projects in the state out of limbo.

Not sure if that's a good idea to be honest.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:05 PM

^ yeah, I don’t know about that. I think many people might assume that construction workers wouldn’t really be at much risk of exposure since they’re outside.

But the fact is that they’re only outside during earlier phases of construction and with all of the different trades on a construction site, there’s lots of close encounters with fellow workers. To say nothing of the daily deliveries to construction sites by drivers coming from all over.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ yeah, I don’t know about that. I think many people might assume that construction workers wouldn’t really be at much risk of exposure since they’re outside.

But the fact is that they’re only outside during earlier phases of construction and with all of the different trades on a construction site, there’s lots of close encounters with fellow workers. To say nothing of the daily deliveries to construction sites by drivers coming from all over.
One of the issues they're running into is a lot of projects are stuck in the "unfinished panelized wall sections" state right now. They can handle a bit of rainy weather like this, but if they're left exposed to the elements long enough, they're going to lose structural integrity and everything will be ruined.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 2:56 PM

Fnb hq

The bank's 2019 Annual Report has a different rendering of the proposed office building. I prefer this rendering to the one shown when the project was announced.

It's on Page 10 of the 2019 Annual Report.

https://www.fnb-online.com/About-Us/...Annual-Reports

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 11:07 AM

Settlement pending? Opponent of proposed Oakland office tower may back scaled-down version.

Quote:
A Baltimore developer has picked up a key endorsement for a plan to cut three floors from a proposed office tower it is seeking to build on Forbes Avenue in Oakland.

The board of directors of Oakland Planning and Development Corp., which strongly opposed Wexford Science + Technology LLC’s original plan to erect a 13-story building, is backing the revised proposal for 10 floors as well as a new community benefits agreement accompanying it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 1:18 PM

Does anyone know what's being built near the East End Food Co-Op? There's a pretty significant steel skeleton. Or perhaps something is being demolished? I didn't get close enough to get a good look. Just the top of the steel was visible from a couple blocks away.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Does anyone know what's being built near the East End Food Co-Op? There's a pretty significant steel skeleton. Or perhaps something is being demolished? I didn't get close enough to get a good look. Just the top of the steel was visible from a couple blocks away.
Echo Realty project. There's a rendering on the previous page.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:42 PM

News is very slow now, but a couple things are still happening:

1. Spear Street got their (extremely surface-parking heavy) redesign of the Sears Outlet into office space approved last week.

2. Construction on UPMC's new project at 5051 Centre Avenue (former Ford building) has begun again. While many hospital projects (such as the new UPMC Mercy building, and AHN's work on the North Side) have continued without skipping a beat, apparently UPMC had to apply for a waiver here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
News is very slow now, but a couple things are still happening:

Spear Street got their (extremely surface-parking heavy) redesign of the Sears Outlet into office space approved last week
I figured this would go through, considering that the parking is basically already there... they'll be just re-configuring things a bit and painting lines. And since both Childrens and West Penn hospitals have massive surface parking lots in the very near vicinity. The Childrens lot is especially enormous and riverfront.

This redevelopment of the Sears Outlet into a large employment hub is going to be a major shot in the arm for Upper Lawrenceville revitalization. I would be surprised if that foundry continues to operate in that location for too much longer once this redevelopment takes hold. Emissions scrutiny will only increase, the owners will NOT invest in the best emissions technology, and a dollar amount will be reached to make it attractive enough for the owners to sell. And of course they'll blame those bad "environmentalists" for causing them to shutdown and put people out of work... never mentioning that their executives all cashed out by selling the land to developers and the business to another holding company. It's always the same story line.

It will be interesting to watch the neighborhood dynamics unfold over the next few years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2020, 8:10 PM

On the topic of Upper Lawrenceville riverfront development...

I know that there have been talked about plans to move some City DPW/Environ Svcs. facilities from the Strip to this ~15 acre riverfront tract between the Sunoco Logistics plant and the 62nd Street Bridge.

I think that would be a big mistake and a terrible use of riverfront land. Large, riverfront tract of land in upper Lawreceville/East End with full linear frontage on Butler St. and direct access to Rt. 8/62nd St. Bridge/Rt. 28 and across bridge from redeveloping Etna/Sharpsburg/Aspinwall riverfronts and neighborhoods.

Yeah... let's put our garbage trucks, yard waste facilities, and streets department equipment, and auto pound there...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 12:14 PM

Marshall-Shadeland: PPS Horace Mann School Redevelopment

Having literally purchased my first home in the shadow of the former PPS Horace Mann School in Marshall-Shadeland I am beyond thrilled to see that there is a proposal on the table for its redevelopment!

https://www.frd.us.com/pghschools/pd...20-%20Mann.pdf

The historic edifice itself will feature 44 mixed-income apartments. The large field behind the school will house 24 new townhouses with the townhomes fronting the streets and some green space behind them.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The historic edifice itself will feature 44 mixed-income apartments. The large field behind the school will house 24 new townhouses with the townhomes fronting the streets and some green space behind them.
Awesome. That is a very cool building, and your investment seems well-timed.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Having literally purchased my first home in the shadow of the former PPS Horace Mann School in Marshall-Shadeland I am beyond thrilled to see that there is a proposal on the table for its redevelopment!

I'm not quite understanding the orientation of the townhouses pointing towards Mullins Street. It looks like they don't front on the street, instead fronting on some new road running roughly where the fence of the current ballfield is. While this is understandable due to to the grade change - and is possibly for the best considering the townhouses have driveways (meaning surface parking won't be eliminated on Mullins) it will make for an extremely awkward intersection wherever the private road actually comes out.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the house. I've always liked that general area of the northside, going up from Manchester into Marshall-Shadeland and Brighton Hts. Has an old-school urban, bit of an east coast-ish vibe to me for some reason.

Used to play softball on that field years ago and would frequent the "Home Plate" bar on the corner. Glad to see new investment. Kinda unfortunate that the neighborhood will lose the ballfield though -- it always seemed to be the central gathering spot for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:21 PM

While all the city planning commissions are down, the URA has continued to meet virtually, and has posted its agenda for tomorrow. Items of note.

1. The Penguins are still going ahead with purchasing the parcel which will eventually house the new 24-story mixed-use tower. I won't talk about it in detail since the project has been discussed here previously.

2. The reuse of the continues to move along. Current plans for Phase 1 (a Catalyst/Desmone/BGC project) are to build a 44-unit residential development, with 38 of the units being affordable. It sounds like they are adding two stories to what appears to be the low-rise wings of the buildings which formerly housed a school. Eventually the rotunda will be converted into office space and a community space, but it not a part of the current development before the URA.

3. The URA is moving forward with funding the Action Housing project Flats on Forward. The plan now is for a 43-unit residential building. Office space planned for the building has been eliminated, but there will still be 10,000 feet of commercial space available for rent on the first floor.

4. The URA is increasing the funding it is providing for "Sixth Ward Flats" - the Lawrenceville United project building 35 units of affordable housing around Doughboy Square. Excavation for the project began prior to the general shutdown of construction, so this is an already in progress project. Apparently the local soil was found to be contaminated, and utility lines need to be moved, which has led to a cost overrun.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
The bank's 2019 Annual Report has a different rendering of the proposed office building. I prefer this rendering to the one shown when the project was announced.

It's on Page 10 of the 2019 Annual Report.

https://www.fnb-online.com/About-Us/...Annual-Reports
A new article on the PBT today about the Pens' commitment to buy the parcel for this building has a rendering that shows that same design with a caption of "the most recent design of the new office tower", so what you found in the annual report may actually be what's planned at this point.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 3:38 PM

It would be odd to evict residents en masse that are paying rents of $1,200+ per month in order to help speed up renovations. Though work stoppages I'm sure have set schedules and project budgets into disarray. The air conditioning would be a major issue in that building... southern and western-facing units on the upper floors would be stifling greenhouses.

Regardless, once the new glazing in complete, this building is going to look really nice.

Company letter urging Parklane tenants to vacate Highland Park apartments by June interpreted as eviction

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s/202004100142

Last edited by pj3000; Apr 16, 2020 at 3:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations