80 South Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
I wonder if Silverstein is among the bidders? He seems very bullish at the moment.
There are a number of developers it could be. But it's a prime site with a lot of buildable sq ft for residential, with approvals already in place. Possibly a design ready to go as well.

Quote:
Sources said that only five firms have been approached to bid on the property. Those five firms couldn’t be confirmed by press time.
Sounds like they've approached 5 sure things, making the bidding exclusive.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:02 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Well, here's the nub:

If 2MW can now rise without a committed anchor tenant, why not this?

Larry really, really should follow precedent here if he wants to see the final piece go above grade before that one fateful night when he puts sleepy head to pillow and closes his eyes for the last time.

And his last waking thoughts could be one of two:

1. "I took the chance and my reward rises skyward."

2. "I missed the chance and my legacy waxes a big, fat 'what if'."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Well, here's the nub:

If 2MW can now rise without a committed anchor tenant, why not this?

The big difference is that office leasing has been strong, but high end luxury condo sales have not. I'm not sure anyone would start this project in the current market. But we just need someone who will start it when they can, and not just hold on to the property - which by the way, no New York developer would do. So we have that going for us.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:50 PM

Now, you have to see if those who buy the site still build the 1,400 foot tower.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 3:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Now, you have to see if those who buy the site still build the 1,400 foot tower.
Or maybe they'll just keep passing it around to the next bidder. No one in New York ever builds anything.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:22 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

NEW YORK | 80 South Street: We Have A Render!

YIMBY.com's Nikolai Fedak produced this jaw-dropper today...Not even 15 minutes ago:

http://https://newyorkyimby.com/2019/04/exclusive-reveal-for-lower-manhattans-tallest-proposed-supertall-at-80-south-street.html

1,550 feet is certainly within the realm of possibility

Mods: Please help with title format. TYVM.

Edit: Hurdles abound still; but at lest we have something.

Last edited by Prezrezc; Apr 10, 2019 at 12:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:33 PM

Exclusive Reveal For Lower Manhattan’s Tallest Proposed Supertall, At 80 South Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK 8:00 AM ON APRIL 10, 2019

http://https://newyorkyimby.com/2019...th-street.html

Quote:
Among New York City supertalls expected to rise as part of the current development boom, 80 South Street has been the only major project of prominence to retain near-complete secrecy when it comes to architectural visualizations. Today, YIMBY has the exclusive reveal for the plan tentatively in the works for the site, for developer China Oceanwide Holdings, which would result in the tallest building by roof height in all of Lower Manhattan, likely approaching 1,500 feet above street level.

Exact details and specifications for the site, including its architect, have not been revealed. However, the company that created the renderings, ATCHAIN, has previously worked with a litany of New York architects on visualizations, including Kohn Pedersen Fox, which YIMBY suspects is the firm behind these plans.

80 South Street, rendering by ATTAIN

80 South Street, rendering by ATTAIN

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 12:34 PM

Looks good to me. I prefer the first version.

Lower Manhattan desperately needs two or three such towers, if it wants to keep up with Midtown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:00 PM
New Yorker for life

The eastside of Downtown needs that peak to balance with the W TC. This and 45 Broad together will do that. Whether or not this is the design chosen depends a lot on who the winning bidder is.

I do like the one on the top better. Looks like a better fit with 45 Broad too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully China Oceanwide Holdings can bounce back and get this rolling, if not, if the property is bought and current designs or concepts remain in place. It would be a real shame to not see something like this rise. It would utterly transform that side of the Lower Manhattan skyline.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

I think something like that will rise regardless of who buys it. As for when, the market will determine. Also for a height comparison, 1 Seaport is 670 ft.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:40 PM

#2 looks friggin great!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 3:42 PM

Loving both 1 and 2!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 4:11 PM

Wow, I never expected to get renderings of 80 South before 270 Park. I figured this project was dormant for the next few years. I like both renderings but I love the crown on the second one. It’s a great modern update on the classic crowns of Lower Manhattan like 70 Pine, 40 Wall, etc.

I’m disappointed SHoP got the boot, though. I’m sure they would have come up with something even more stunning.

Last edited by DeSelby; Apr 10, 2019 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 6:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

According to Nikolai, aka YIMBY, the floor count on the 1st design is 120 floors+.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 6:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'll just post what he wrote on the yimby forums:

Quote:
The rendering shows a series of very high mechanical and/or office floors near the low-mid section of the project, so there would definitely be 10-20 floors of “super” heights in this proposal, on top of a general floor height of what I would guess would be 12’ for residences & 10-11’ for the hotel. All in all, it could easily be 1,500’+.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
According to Nikolai, aka YIMBY, the floor count on the 1st design is 120 floors+.
Not surprising. I mean compared to 1 Seaport alone, it's at least 3 times the height, at least in the rendering.

Rough look...

I would like to see it in a skyline rendering with 45 Broad as well as all of the other recent additions that are missing.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:47 PM
Meh

I like both. The top of the first one would probably be more interesting from certain angles, but I really like the 3 balconies in the 2nd one and how they complement the top. They give the facade a little more depth and texture and make the crown a little more relevant to the overall design. Supertalls sometimes can be a little boring with their facades. Being that they're so tall it's hard to implement a design that breaks up the monotony of a 1,400+ foot tall facade. Tops sometimes, too, seem to be an afterthought with some designs. A syndrome of base, shaft, top, but with little cohesiveness between the elements in those sections of the building. I guess I'd have give a nod to the 2nd one for that reason.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think something like that will rise regardless of who buys it. As for when, the market will determine. Also for a height comparison, 1 Seaport is 670 ft.
Solve:
If 1 Seaport is 1/3 the height of 80 South St.(see pic), then which best describes 80 South St.??

a.) huuuuge
b.) NY's first megatall
c.) 2010 ft./670 m
d.) all the above

1 Seaport>>
https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...45-777x578.jpg

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:59 PM

One seaport in these renderings is clearly stunted. It's supposed to loom over 180 Maiden Lane, which is a mere 554ft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals