HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Is it Quesada across the way from them ? They're probably not going to make it much longer either, and to be honest I can't see Cora's surviving much longer in that location either.

It is generally a terrible location - hidden from the main road, no traffic flow, no households, no hotel to draw from . Not surprised Milestones bombed
There are quite a few businesses on Hebron and surrounding area and more coming to the area. I can see Quesada, Harvey's, Starbucks, etc. continuing to do well. I think you have a valid point with Cora's - not sure how many people who work in that area avail of Cora's hours of operation.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
There are quite a few businesses on Hebron and surrounding area and more coming to the area. I can see Quesada, Harvey's, Starbucks, etc. continuing to do well. I think you have a valid point with Cora's - not sure how many people who work in that area avail of Cora's hours of operation.
The lunch trade is strong in the area. Verafin is already there plus other smaller offices. ExxonMobil Canada with its 400 odd employees is the tenant of the new building going up by Canadian Tire. And the Passport Canada office is relocating to the area as well. Freshii, Quesada, Starbucks, Harveys and Pita Pit are all very busy at lunch time. The Hebron Way area is definitely more of a business area as opposed to a commercial area. I wonder about Coras in general. They already closed the one downtown and I don't know how busy the one on Kenmount is outside of Saturday and Sunday.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Is it Quesada across the way from them ? They're probably not going to make it much longer either, and to be honest I can't see Cora's surviving much longer in that location either.

It is generally a terrible location - hidden from the main road, no traffic flow, no households, no hotel to draw from . Not surprised Milestones bombed
No traffic flow? Torbay Road is one of the busiest roads in the City. And Hebron Way will soon be joined up with Majors Path, which should increase traffic.

What about all the new office buildings open down there? There are easily hundreds of people going to be working down there. Should be great for lunch time sales. Most times I go to Pita Pit down there it's lined up out the door.

No hotels? There are 4 in approximately 2 km radius. And I'm pretty sure the 2 new ones by the hotel don't have restaurants. These would be the closest restaurants to the airport.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
No traffic flow? Torbay Road is one of the busiest roads in the City. And Hebron Way will soon be joined up with Majors Path, which should increase traffic.

What about all the new office buildings open down there? There are easily hundreds of people going to be working down there. Should be great for lunch time sales. Most times I go to Pita Pit down there it's lined up out the door.

No hotels? There are 4 in approximately 2 km radius. And I'm pretty sure the 2 new ones by the hotel don't have restaurants. These would be the closest restaurants to the airport.

It is extremely hard for Food based businesses to survive based on one time of the day being busy ( Ie Lunch ). They need a constant flow of customers all day long, Breakfast, lunch , dinner and late night.
Although there are plenty of business class people working in this immediate area, 99% of them are gone by 5 oclock everyday -- and then there is nothing left in the area to draw in the nighttime customers . This is where the theatre would have helped.

As far as the Hotels go, they need to be on your doorstep, to see an immediate impact for the Restaurant industry.

Just my views, I guess time ( as always ) will tell.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:23 AM

You also have 10,000 people driving past Hebron Way heading into the Torbay area where there are little to no food options. I have family in the area who regularly go Wing n It, Quesada, Starbucks and Pita Pit on the weekends and evenings.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:24 PM

Klondike jake's closing

Just seen that Klondike Jake's at the Village Mall will be closing permanently on Sunday September 8th at 5 pm. (As per their Facebook page)

I believe we've reached the saturation point as far as restaurants go. More restaurants will open, but for every one that opens, another will have to close.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Just seen that Klondike Jake's at the Village Mall will be closing permanently on Sunday September 8th at 5 pm. (As per their Facebook page)

I believe we've reached the saturation point as far as restaurants go. More restaurants will open, but for every one that opens, another will have to close.
As much as anything, I think KJ closing is probably due to reduced traffic at The Village in general.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:18 PM

I always found Klondike Jakes food kinda meh at most. Doesn’t help either when the mall you are located is quickly dying around you and losing market share. Plus I agree...I think we’ve reached a saturation point on these type of restaurants..

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:21 AM

There is always more to every story.
yes, Klondike Jakes has been slipping for years. I have also wondered how they have managed to survive as long as they did.
But them closing, comes as no surprise for many other reasons.
The Principle owner of this Restaurant, also was involved in Fog City which also closed. He had the Fish Exchange in Halifax shut down, and he also was recently bought out of the Keg Steakhouse.

Who knows what the real story is.... Maybe he is retiring.......maybe there are other reasons

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:27 AM

I can't be 100% sure, but while in Galway on the weekend, I noticed that the building across the parking lot from the new Dollarama, has a space being developed that Looks like it is going to be a FIVE GUYS BURGERS AND FRIES.
There is no sign on the spot yet, but the Red marque on the building looks very similar to those on Five Guys locations that I've seen in Ontario and Florida.

I could be totally wrong on this, but I'm calling it.... FIVE GUYS is finally coming to St.John's ( Dannyland to be exact )

Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I can't be 100% sure, but while in Galway on the weekend, I noticed that the building across the parking lot from the new Dollarama, has a space being developed that Looks like it is going to be a FIVE GUYS BURGERS AND FRIES.
There is no sign on the spot yet, but the Red marque on the building looks very similar to those on Five Guys locations that I've seen in Ontario and Florida.

I could be totally wrong on this, but I'm calling it.... FIVE GUYS is finally coming to St.John's ( Dannyland to be exact )

Hopefully I'm not wrong.
In one of the other threads (The Galway thread, I believe) there was a brief mention of some rumors around a Five Guys being developed in Galway. It was quickly shot down as it was found out to be an Urban Shoes. Just to be clear - are you talking about a separate location now? I'm can't recall where Dollarama is located in Galway.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
In one of the other threads (The Galway thread, I believe) there was a brief mention of some rumors around a Five Guys being developed in Galway. It was quickly shot down as it was found out to be an Urban Shoes. Just to be clear - are you talking about a separate location now? I'm can't recall where Dollarama is located in Galway.
Dollarama ( not open yet ) is in the same Plaza as the new Marshalls and the new PetSmart. The building I am talking about is in the same parking lot as this, but on the opposite side of the Lot. It is currently being finished, and it looks like it will have 5 Small retail spots available in it. The far right end of the building is the spot I am referring to. it has a RED marquee up, over the door, but there is no signage up as of yet. It looks very similar to the Five Guys look.
Again, I may be wrong, but to me, it looks like a Five Guys in the works.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Dollarama ( not open yet ) is in the same Plaza as the new Marshalls and the new PetSmart. The building I am talking about is in the same parking lot as this, but on the opposite side of the Lot. It is currently being finished, and it looks like it will have 5 Small retail spots available in it. The far right end of the building is the spot I am referring to. it has a RED marquee up, over the door, but there is no signage up as of yet. It looks very similar to the Five Guys look.

The spot you are talking about is definitely Urban Shoes. The company has a picture of that storefront on their Facebook page referring to it as their soon to be new location.

Dallarama has been open for about 2 weeks as well.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
The spot you are talking about is definitely Urban Shoes. The company has a picture of that storefront on their Facebook page referring to it as their soon to be new location.

Dallarama has been open for about 2 weeks as well.

Well that totally sucks if you're right.... I could care less about Urban Shoes !

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Well that totally sucks if you're right.... I could care less about Urban Shoes !
Oh well, you never know.... I still think it's possible Five Guys will open a location here. There's still some confusing around their announcement last year if a new location will be here or Saint John NB. We can always hold out hope. According to Galway's plan there's still a lot more development to be done.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Hopefully I'm not wrong.
That rumor was flying around twitter last week. That space is confirmed to be Urban Shoes who also have a store in Gander. Its actually a really good shoe store lol. Not a Five Guys to my husband's sadness.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:50 AM

Five Guys looking at locations soon...

I emailed the Company who has the Franchise rights for Five Guys on the East Coast of Canada asking about potential restaurant's coming to St. John's and when. What I received back was nothing short of excellent and exciting news.

"Thanks for your email. We will be scouting locations in early October 2019."

The Company is Koeppel Companies LLC.
www.koeppel.com

This is very exciting news.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmything1972 View Post
I emailed the Company who has the Franchise rights for Five Guys on the East Coast of Canada asking about potential restaurant's coming to St. John's and when. What I received back was nothing short of excellent and exciting news.

"Thanks for your email. We will be scouting locations in early October 2019."

The Company is Koeppel Companies LLC.
www.koeppel.com

This is very exciting news.
That really is exciting news! Thanks for inquiring!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:13 PM

Freshii have now opened another location in the departures lounge at YYT.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:25 PM

Here’s a link showing an updated site plan for the Shoppes At Galway. Still a lot of undeveloped land there. If you look at the site plan, there are several really small individual building lots there with some highlighted in orange. I think they might eventually be eateries of some sort as retail buildings tend to be in joined strips and eateries tend to want a drive-thru so they have to be separate. Just wild guessing here though.

https://shoppesatgalway.ca/wp-conten...Site-Plan1.jpg

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's