HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
You can see it on google street view if you go back to 2015:

That vs. how it appears currently (well, in 2018):

I don't get it. Did they get damaged since 2015?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I don't get it. Did they get damaged since 2015?
Yes, the construction next door weakened them. Then they started falling off the building. Very very glad they're being restored.

Last edited by Old&New; Apr 18, 2019 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:26 AM

I wasn't even aware the cornice had been removed until you pointed it out. The difference with and without it is huge, and so glad to see the ornateness reestablished. The facade on the Capitol will always be one of my favorites anywhere. It's like a beautiful Faberge Egg.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:26 PM

Temple Square Renovation Plans

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
So it looks to me like there won't be significant change, just the rebuilding of a few smaller structures, the seismic updates, and some updates to the grounds.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
So it looks to me like there won't be significant change, just the rebuilding of a few smaller structures, the seismic updates, and some updates to the grounds.
The temple itself you won't see any major changes as most will be hidden from eye with the seismic upgrades. However, the temple annex and south visitors center are changing dramatically. As well as the plaza to the East will be changing quite a bit. I would say overall it will be much more open and visible rather than being behind a big cement wall that blocks views if you are on street level on the north or south side.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:54 PM

I like this renovation. I hope it's not out of place to post the pictures here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 8:27 PM

I like how open this will be from North and South Temple. Getting rid of the walls will make it not seem like such a fortress.

I see 4 new buildings (2 on each side) being constructed. I wonder if those will be 4 separate visitor centers. I think the granite finishes and green roofs will complement the Temple nicely.

Also, I wonder if the current north visitors center will be torn down once all this is done.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 8:43 PM
Development Junkie

It's too bad they're not removing the north side addition that was added in 1962 and changed the footprint of the original temple.

My guess is that the 1962 change made irreparable damage to that north side that they just can't restore.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 9:49 PM

From what I understand, they are removing the addition on the north side in order to do their seismic work, and then they are rebuilding it again. So for maybe a year or two you will get your wish.

It's curious that the temple wasn't originally designed with more sealing rooms (there are only 3 inside the temple proper), and it is also curious that more rooms couldn't be added below ground, where they wouldn't impact the aesthetics.

There are other things about this renovation that will be interesting. I immediately began worrying about all the people who will 'jaywalk' into North and South Temple streets at the new openings in the wall, since the old openings line up perfectly with the crosswalks. I predict some sort of barriers will need to be built, probably in the middle of South Temple Street (like fence between the TRAX tracks) and on the raised curb in the drop-off area on North Temple.

The two new visitor's centers on the south side look very small. I wonder if they'll have anything else inside them other than bathrooms and that model of the interior of the temple? I was hoping that the North Visitor's center would get a complete renovation. I don't think those huge movie theaters they have on the west end of it are a good use of space, and overall it seems like such a Hodge-podge inside. It will have to happen some time, but I guess it is wise to stage the renovations so that the new south centers will be open before they touch the north one.

Also, has the Assembly Hall ever been seismically updated? I know the Tabernacle was completely rebuilt in 2006-07, but I don't think the assembly hall has gotten as much attention.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I like how open this will be from North and South Temple. Getting rid of the walls will make it not seem like such a fortress.

I see 4 new buildings (2 on each side) being constructed. I wonder if those will be 4 separate visitor centers. I think the granite finishes and green roofs will complement the Temple nicely.

Also, I wonder if the current north visitors center will be torn down once all this is done.
It doesn't look like they are actually getting rid of the walls. They are just shifting where the gates are. The walls will remain, just shifted around a bit.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:12 PM

I noticed that the Deseret News Article that was discussed from last week had an updated rendering of the Brinshore State Street project that is slightly different from the one I have seen in the past. https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...heres-how.html

The photo caption from the article said: "An artist's rendering of a mixed-use, 190-unit development being proposed by Brinshore Development LLC at 255 S. State Street in Salt Lake City. One building would stand 13 stories tall and the other eight stories tall."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 11:35 PM

^^^
Yeah, I like the look of the taller towers portion of the project. This rendering seems like they've flushed out some of their concepts for the project.

Here is another rendering just released of the Temple Square redo. Really like how these new annexes compliment the architecture of the Temple itself. I've always been a big fan of water features. One of the many aesthetic changes that will be made will be the large fountain that now sits squarely between the south side of the Temple and the South Visitors Center. That modern styled fountain will be eliminated along with the South Visitors Center. The new fountain, which will have a center stage focus close to the South
Temple entrance will be of a Victorian Style Bronze. Think more along the lines of the fountains at Washington Sq. or the Provo City Center Temple. As with the new buildings it seems keeping true with the period of the original historic buildings of the Square.

https://kjzz.com/news/local/lds-chur...ke-city-temple

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are releasing plans to temporarily close and renovate the Salt Lake City Temple and Temple Square. The temple will close on December 29 for four years. (Photo courtesy of Mormon Newsroom)

Last edited by delts145; Apr 20, 2019 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
I like this renovation. I hope it's not out of place to post the pictures here...

These buildings are hideously ugly.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:27 AM

Good 'ol Stenar. I was thinking that they could use some editing, but didn't think they were that bad. lol. I actually really liked the style of the south visitor center. It was very classy and clean.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:54 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

They should do that cast-iron fencing around the whole block that looks so much better than the fortress wall.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 2:09 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
They should do that cast-iron fencing around the whole block that looks so much better than the fortress wall.
Agreed. I think just the portion they have shown changes the entire bock significantly. That would really help the entire block and all of North and South Temple. Why hide all of the most important buildings in the state behind walls? They look awesome. Let people see them.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:17 PM

Looks like the hundreds of Cherry Trees planted up at the Capitol a few years back are doing great. Growing fast and so beautiful. I really like what they did with the Capitol restoration and grounds. Definitely one of the most beautiful in the nation.

Steve Griffin, Deseret Newshttps://media.deseretdigital.com/fil...c=6&a=e0717f4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Good 'ol Stenar. I was thinking that they could use some editing, but didn't think they were that bad. lol. I actually really liked the style of the south visitor center. It was very classy and clean.
I've always preferred the look of the south visitors center over the north. However, given the new entrance arrangement with the visual emphasis on the Temple, I much prefer the new designs. I've always felt that fountain in front of the south visitors center was at the very least out of place. The new fountain will be a huge improvement.

Many have said they should put the iron fencing around the historic grounds completely. I like the iron fencing too, but the problem with doing it completely is that it would destroy the peaceful feeling that millions of visitors have come to expect in certain areas of the grounds. The wall noticeably calms certain areas of the grounds from a lot of what would be unwanted noise from the bustle of that downtown location. Also, I wouldn't want that inward facing visitors center exposed over on the north side. I imagine it will always be there in some form or another.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 20, 2019 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:54 PM

[QUOTE=delts145;8546992]Looks like the hundreds of Cherry Trees planted up at the Capitol a few years back are doing great. Growing fast and so beautiful. I really like what they did with the Capitol restoration and grounds. Definitely one of the most beautiful in the nation.

Steve Griffin, Deseret Newshttps://media.deseretdigital.com/fil...c=6&a=e0717f4c

Fun fact, Utah has the most expensive Capitol complex in the nation.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:08 PM

Whatever happened to finishing this plan?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West