HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:21 PM
HVAC guru

Have noticed that the train has been consistently packed between Collesium and downtown. Have heard lots of positive comments about the event and the city. This is one event that Northlands does very well and I hope they continue to develop it!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 10:11 PM
Community Guy

Yee Hah.

Anyone going?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 10:50 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

"Not I," said the rooster.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 11:58 PM

I like most festivals and events in the in our berg. But this one does absolutely nothing for me.

Maybe if we put the Steers and horses on skates give them sticks and make it a best of 3 series.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:52 PM

Not my cup of tea. But I wish the organizers all the success in the world; I just hope they're not counting on my nickel.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:38 AM
HVAC guru

^ Hey, Calgary would steal this event from us in a second, and besides the CFR is generating a lot of traffic on the LRT and downtown. It's pretty clear that it is a net benefit for the city.

I am not much of a rodeo fan, but I may go see rodeo poker just because it is so ridiculous that it is very fun to watch. Other than that, the CFR has the farm fair, which having spent a lot of my late summers at the good old IPE in Armstrong way back when, I think is what's really missing from Capital Ex.

And from all accounts our pancake breakfast went great this morning

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 1:29 AM
Community Guy

Lots of rural folk around downtown the past few days. It is a great event and one we need to support and retain!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 10:38 PM

So spain is banning bullfighting...but good ole alberta is a proud supporter of its hickfest animal torture fair... something to be proud of yep... I dont care what business this brings to the city...its just sick and backwards...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The rodeo is a skills contest - to see who well one can do the basic tasks of a rancher. The only tournament that is questionable is the bullriding.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 7:48 AM

and calf roping...and bucking broncos or whatever its called...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 2:47 PM

I went with my 4 &6 year old sons, on comp tickets. They had more fun than at the football or hockey games we've been to. 'm sure we will be back in future years,even if we have to pay.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 5:49 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
and calf roping...and bucking broncos or whatever its called...
Calf roping is something you need to be able to do when ranching. Bucking bronco is the taming of a wild or irate horse - something that was needed to be done as a rancher/farmer.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 9:35 PM

i didn't know wild horses wore flank straps. Guess you learn something new everyday

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:17 AM

Quote:
i didn't know wild horses wore flank straps. Guess you learn something new everyday
Flank straps do not harm the animal, they are used as an incentive to get the horse (or bull) to buck higher. An animal that is in pain will not buck, and the misconception that the strap is place on the animal's genitals is totally false. Also, rodeo stock are treated like royalty compared to other animals, receiving the best feed and care available. If you think that rodeo is cruel to animals (which it isn't), then you would be appalled if you went to any feedlot in Alberta.

I hope that you take this as an opportunity to educate yourself further about the sport of rodeo.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Flank straps do not harm the animal, they are used as an incentive to get the horse (or bull) to buck higher. An animal that is in pain will not buck, and the misconception that the strap is place on the animal's genitals is totally false. Also, rodeo stock are treated like royalty compared to other animals, receiving the best feed and care available. If you think that rodeo is cruel to animals (which it isn't), then you would be appalled if you went to any feedlot in Alberta.

I hope that you take this as an opportunity to educate yourself further about the sport of rodeo.
Kind of like gladiators?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:02 PM

Quote:
good ole alberta is a proud supporter of its hickfest animal torture fair... something to be proud of yep... I dont care what business this brings to the city...its just sick and backwards...
Take it to a PETA forum.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:03 PM

I'll keep my bitching right here thank you. Considering rodeo has little to do with skyscrapers, my opposition to rodeo as detrimental to the image of edmonton is valid position to be considered. If i had not grown up in Edmonton i would find it hilarious that a rodeo is held in such high esteem. Though there are many people who enjoy the rodeo (mostly big hemi truck driving rednecks if you look at rexal's parking lot) there are many others who laugh at Alberta's love of rodeo and country bars...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
DRINK

and there are tons that laugh at metro's drinking gins.

At the end of the day this brings in a lot of money from out of town and fills up restaurants and hotels. My gf's family store has been packed this week from people from out of town buying home furnishings.

I feel like some fucking skoal.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:36 PM

Although I take no interest in such an event, I fully support it. It does what it needs to do, it brings a lot of rural Alberta together and it brings revenue and attraction to our city. I would say its also important in preserving and showcasing some of albertas history and culture. Only thing that worries me is how this event is where oilers begin their downfall in the past 4 years. BRUTAL its like a curse

Last edited by s4.audios; Nov 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: didn't finish

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'll keep my bitching right here thank you. Considering rodeo has little to do with skyscrapers, my opposition to rodeo as detrimental to the image of edmonton is valid position to be considered. If i had not grown up in Edmonton i would find it hilarious that a rodeo is held in such high esteem. Though there are many people who enjoy the rodeo (mostly big hemi truck driving rednecks if you look at rexal's parking lot) there are many others who laugh at Alberta's love of rodeo and country bars...
It's an event that brings in a lot of tourist and is good for the economy, simple, if you don't like it, don't go. Do you think the Stampede is detrimental to Calgary too? How about the NFR in Vegas?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton