HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 11:13 PM

BEAUTIFUL shots of Oakland, wow. This was MUCH needed as no one really treks down there for photos in this forum. It's much appreciated homebucket!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:40 AM

Thanks, homebucket. Great pictures...and projects! The Cathedral Building is one of my favorite buildings in the Bay Area, so thanks for capturing that as well.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:35 AM

Yes, great pictures!

Why do I like 601 City Center so much?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:48 PM
Metal Up Your !

Homebucket those pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing and taking the time!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Yes, great pictures!

I had the opposite reaction. Depends on how much nostalgia you feel for the '80s, maybe?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
I had the opposite reaction. Depends on how much nostalgia you feel for the '80s, maybe?
I'm just excited that the project was revived. I wish it looked a bit more edgy in its design, especially given the site sat idle for a decade (and it feels to me like that was the design from the '00s), but what's most important is the jobs it is allowing to be based in Oakland. I like 1100 Broadway much better, especially because it is fusing old & new without trying to make one look like the other. And, there are taller and more architecturally impressive office projects underway in 2020 (at least 2 already announced in Uptown). Good times in the East Bay!!

ATLotb

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:47 AM

Excellent photos, homebucket! I'm usually in the Bay Area at least once a year and I stay with friends who live in Oakland, so I have become somewhat familiar with the city. The trajectory of the city over the last several years is impressive. It's rather regrettable for me that I wasn't able to relocate there in 2014 as I'd hoped! Thanks for sharing these!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 6:58 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
BEAUTIFUL shots of Oakland, wow. This was MUCH needed as no one really treks down there for photos in this forum. It's much appreciated homebucket!
Thanks gilly! Hopefully more of us can make it over there to take photos more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Thanks, homebucket. Great pictures...and projects! The Cathedral Building is one of my favorite buildings in the Bay Area, so thanks for capturing that as well.
Thank you! The Cathedral Building is also one of my favorites

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Yes, great pictures!

Thanks! Personally, I'm not a big fan of 601 City Center aesthetically. It looks rather squat and bulky when viewed from the West, and I don't really like white horizontal panels on buildings, although it does match well with its neighbor 555 City Center across the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Homebucket those pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing and taking the time!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Excellent photos, homebucket! I'm usually in the Bay Area at least once a year and I stay with friends who live in Oakland, so I have become somewhat familiar with the city. The trajectory of the city over the last several years is impressive. It's rather regrettable for me that I wasn't able to relocate there in 2014 as I'd hoped! Thanks for sharing these!
Thanks! Yes, it is pretty amazing how much development is occurring in Oakland now when it has laid dormant since 2002. It's about time it gets some positive attention! Hopefully the trajectory continues and Oakland can continue to cement itself as the "Brooklyn" to SF's "Manhattan".

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Hopefully the trajectory continues and Oakland can continue to cement itself as the "Brooklyn" to SF's "Manhattan".
Heh, I hope so! Especially with the projects happening in Brooklyn Basin. Phew, Oakland/East Bay is going to look so nice in the 2020s

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:22 AM

Site prep starting at 1431 Jefferson for the new Marriot Hotel

Courtesy of @oakbuilt - https://twitter.com/oakbuilt/status/1044278218537095168
https://twitter.com/oakbuilt/status/882730709453897728

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:52 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuvalu View Post
This photo sorta reminds me of a scene from the Pixar movie Up. I’m sure once the beams are up it’ll look even more so like it. Up was supposedly inspired by a true story. Another interesting random tidbit is that the local Oakland ice cream shop Fentons Creamery was also featured in Up.

But ugh, that is one ugly design for the Marriott. Could pass for a high end prison.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 5:01 PM

That is an ugly design for a building that's constructed in 2019-2020...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

Myself, I'd prefer not to see the design of it. Just report a new Marriott is going to be built in Oakland, and leave it at that! Having stayed in a number of hotels in South/Central America, the design would be completely different, there'd be balconies and/or rooftop deck to compete with the others. At least it will look inviting at night when the lights are on.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
That is an ugly design for a building that's constructed in 2019-2020...
The design was tweaked a bit, but unfortunately, it's not a huge improvement.

www.mercurynews.com

www.mercurynews.com

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 2:52 AM

What's with 226 13th street? Doesn't look like it's progressed at all for months

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:18 PM

Thank you to ALL who have invested in sharing Oaklands highrise development photos and updates! I have ALWAYS thought Oakland has a really nice Downtown and has a ton of growth potential! I hope though that developers will not push out residents like SF and LA has been doing and include more affordable housing projects in thier mix! Anyway glad to see Oakland receiving some nice new developments

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 2:41 AM

I know it has been a while, but figured I would pass along a couple of these. Some are outdated at this point:

Lots of construction between MacArthur, Auto Row, Uptown, and Telegraph. Plenty of activity in JLS as well! Will try to get some photos along soon. Thank you all for your updates and contributions in the meantime!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 5:42 AM

I’m planning to do a drive through the Downtown/Uptown/Temescal/JLS areas next weekend. Will take pics of all projects but still not the best at the posting process. Will keep at it until I get it down. So much going on in Oaktown and lots more to come, especially in Downtown with a few more towers set to start rising in the next 6-months or so. Exciting times.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:05 PM

The building permit has been filed for 2015 Telegraph.

It looks like the design has been updated a bit since I last saw as well:

Renderings via Studio KDA

More infill in central Oakland moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:53 PM

Sorry to be that guy interrupting with this question Does anyone know if there is a local site/development forum for Oakland/east bay...or is this the one with the most info? Seems to be more up to date than the one at SSC. I come from Minneapolis, where we had a local forum too (streets.mn), and now I am in Oakland. Wanted to see if there is anything similar that us nerds go to

Thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations