HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I think they will find out why people in BC affectionately state that the abbreviation stands for bring cash.
Considering BC had a net positive inter-provincial migration in 2017, while Saskatchewan's was negative, it seems that people (and businesses) are being attracted there for a reason despite having a carbon tax for a decade, high housing costs and a supposedly business-unfriendly government. I have had a handful of friends move there in the past five years. They must be doing something right.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Considering BC had a net positive inter-provincial migration in 2017, while Saskatchewan's was negative, it seems that people (and businesses) are being attracted there for a reason despite having a carbon tax for a decade, high housing costs and a supposedly business-unfriendly government. I have had a handful of friends move there in the past five years. They must be doing something right.
It is a beautiful place but plan to be much poorer unless you owned a house for many years.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabusinessstudent View Post
Hi all! Been reading these forums for a while now and just recently decided to create an account. An absolute complete change of topic, but does anyone have any info as to the construction/development of any of the Cannabis Retail stores?

Very interested in it business and development wise.

Cheers!
Not in Saskatoon, but I had read this article in the Clarks Crossing Gazette about one of the cannabis outlets in Warman. It includes an artists rendering as well as some interesting info on how they plan to enforce things:

=======
Warman grants approval to cannabis retail outlet
https://ccgazette.ca/2018/08/23/warm...retail-outlet/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Kelowna's winter's aren't actually all that nice. Not as cold as ours obviously, but pretty gloomy. I think a lot of people get surprised by this.
This is what I heard from some locals as well while we were out there a couple weeks ago--the smokey skies made for an extra level of suck because it was like winter when they don't see the sun and that's what they wait to get through each winter. They definitely don't have to deal with the cold though so it's a trade off for sunny blue skies and frigid temperatures I guess.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I have had 10 family members move to Kelowna in the last 8 years (bw my family and my wifes). They all love it, but they do comment about the adjustment to lack of sunshine in winter and also the "new norm" of smoked out summers from wildfires(3 consecutive years now)...they also try and plan get aways out of kelowna back to Sask in summer, as it gets crazy busy/crowded there in the summer.

What that news story does emphasize is the importance of Saskatoon needing to provide the best possible quality of life options for residents/businesses to overcome our either real (or perceived) negative climate. This means downtown arenas, libraries, pro sports, cultural amenities, winter activities and amenities, art galleries, professional theatre, etc. We have some of this, but need to add more and improve on what we have. It is called "investing" in your city for the future!
I'm not sure what Kelowna is like in the winter, but having been there a few times in the summer it is definitely way too busy and the traffic is terrible--much prefer other areas of the Okanagan for a more laid back atmosphere.

Gas prices were pretty crazy in BC this summer (peaked on our travels at $1.49.9 around the Golden/Revelstoke area, mid $1.40's in the Okanagan), but I think not having PST on restaurant meals more than made up for the difference in gas prices in our case eating out almost every meal on holiday. Obviously that wouldn't play into matters as much living there though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Not in Saskatoon, but I had read this article in the Clarks Crossing Gazette about one of the cannabis outlets in Warman. It includes an artists rendering as well as some interesting info on how they plan to enforce things:

=======
Warman grants approval to cannabis retail outlet
https://ccgazette.ca/2018/08/23/warm...retail-outlet/
Thanks Wyku! That's a great little write-up. Kind of going to be answering my own question, but this article just came up from CBC on r/Saskatoon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ions-1.4809583

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:46 AM

Don't forget BC has the highest average auto insurance rates in Canada. BC is a beautiful place but way too expensive, you get nickel and dimed to death there. BC is fast losing its economic advantage for the average worker. Great if your in the new economy of high tech or real estate. But industry, oil and gas and mining not doing to good.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Don't forget BC has the highest average auto insurance rates in Canada. BC is a beautiful place but way too expensive, you get nickel and dimed to death there. BC is fast losing its economic advantage for the average worker. Great if your in the new economy of high tech or real estate. But industry, oil and gas and mining not doing to good.
I moved from Saskatoon to Victoria in 2013. A few things I noticed:
- property in Victoria and Saskatoon was in the same ballpark (That is now changed).
- You pay a bit more for auto insurance etc. However at the same time your taxes go down a fair bit. So it is a bit of a wash.

Vancouver has some very unique costs built into living there. Those don't exist in the rest of the province.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:37 AM

When you say taxes do you mean total combined taxes or just property taxes? im just curious is all?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:02 AM

New Bridge

Rode by the new bridge yesterday and took this photo, first lift of pavement complete:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:04 AM

Such gorgeous views in that area - you can see for miles!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:35 PM
Has been

The 3 foot picket fence and all the parking blocks have been removed from lot on the northwest corner of Broadway and 9th. Something must be afoot.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:55 PM

Politicians seek to speed up development of Saskatoon's city yards
A report from city hall administration on the Arbutus proposal suggested complete development of the property could take 25 to 30 years.

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Updated: September 4, 2018

Quote:
The developer behind an ambitious proposal to transform the city yards located north of downtown left city hall more encouraged than he had been.

Jeff Drexel, president of Arbutus Properties, attended Tuesday’s meeting of city council’s finance committee, where his company’s proposal to buy and redevelop the city yards was discussed.

A report from city hall administration on the Arbutus proposal suggested complete development of the property could take 25 to 30 years.

Several committee members expressed dismay about the timeline for the yards, as had Drexel.

“Instead of saying, ‘Here’s how we could approach (the proposed redevelopment),’ it felt like (the report) was shutting it down,” Mayor Charlie Clark said.

The committee supported Clark’s proposal to study the possibility of speeding up a phased approach to redeveloping the yards, including moving city operations.

The city yards comprise about 32 acres of land north of downtown in the Central Industrial area. The city report points out up to 750 city employees work in the area, which also includes office buildings and storage of vehicles and equipment.

“I was somewhat encouraged,” Drexel told reporters outside council chamber. “I definitely like the approach that was taken.”

The report on a faster approach to moving and redeveloping the yards is expected early next year. Drexel said Arbutus will remain focused on its proposal, which includes a mix of residential and commercial properties, as well as a full-sized grocery store.

City hall has proposed moving operations from the city yards, but has yet to find the money to do it. A move to the civic operations centre has been shelved in favour of the possibility of establishing satellite yards throughout the city.

Neither the city administration nor Drexel would offer an estimate of the land’s value. Drexel pointed to the City of Saskatoon’s purchase this year of a former Saskatchewan Transportation Company building located in the city yards for nearly $5 million as a good indicator of land value.

[....]
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ons-city-yards

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:21 AM

Just wanted to add my two cents in on what seems to be a (albeit off-topic) Kelowna vs Saskatoon debate as someone who is currently transitioning out to Kelowna after spending 40 years of my life in Saskatoon....

It's not really THAT expensive:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...&city2=Kelowna

But the sunshine tax is real ... if you work for most companies based here. Pay is less. However, If you work remotely and have a skill set like many here do, you get the best of both worlds.

Yes, there's not a lot of sunshine in the winter in the valley. But if you drive 60km east and spend a day (or weekend) snowboarding at Big White, there is plenty of sun and fun there. And yes, the fact that it's never usually much colder than -5 to -10 even in January helps a lot.

Yes, it's busy and hotter than hell in the summer ... but you just plan your routes for time, avoid the tourist trap areas, and it's not that bad. You can literally bike anywhere in this city almost faster than you can drive, and do it almost year round in actual bike lanes, go figure.

All in all, Saskatoon and Kelowna are both very beautiful cities for many different reasons, and you really can't go wrong choosing either as your home. Kelowna currently has a TON of in progress, approved, and proposed exciting tower developments and it's great to see. A few of them over 30 stories.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
But they are short, and there are ski hills. And despite a couple frigid -15C days, it stays pretty moderate which is why the lake doesn't even freeze. Anyways, I know Jeremy and his family, I'm sure they're going to love the Okanagan.
Don't get me wrong. I love Kelowna and would be happy to retire there if I did not already have other plans. I am just repeating what recent prairie expats are saying about the gloomy winters. I think Kelowna has so much to offer, but not necessarily in certain job categories.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:48 PM

How much difference in basic medical $150/month for family making over 42K per year in BC unless the company you work for pays for it, $80 in BC for prostrate exam, like i said you get hit by lots of little things that you don't know about until you need them. And I agree BC is nice place to live but became just a little too rich for me. I'm done no more about this from me. Back to construction.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:27 PM

It looks like Urban Capital is about to announce a project in Edmonton...

I was really hoping to hear more about the proposed Broadway project this summer. For now, I'll assume no news is good news.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
It looks like Urban Capital is about to announce a project in Edmonton...

I was really hoping to hear more about the proposed Broadway project this summer. For now, I'll assume no news is good news.
They mention a hotel/condo project again. Maybe their Broadway proposal could include a hotel! That would be awesome for broadway! Whenever I go to Edmonton I like to stay at the boutique hotels on Whyte Ave as you're right next to some late night fun.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:59 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 10:14 PM

My folks have a place in Kelowna and I go a few times a year - their downtown isn't close to as great as ours, it's a dead town in the winter compared to ours, and the summers are now smoky a large amount of the time. It's a temporary pretty for the first few times you're there but over time you realize Saskatoon's a lot more enjoyable with more to do - unless you're a wino which I am not haha. It's definitely an old folks city, and I don't feel close to as safe in their downtown as I do in Saskatoon in the summers at night. I'd also debate it's less walking friendly compared to Saskatoon - which is strange for an old folks retirement town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan