HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing—currently watching it and pulled up the page to see this Soviet-style monstrosity.
it's almost like they took design elements from The Lighthouse and just threw on some balconies

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:38 PM

Proposed concepts to the conservatory at the old Mendel Gallery site. I like the modular and pronged concepts the best.

Source: https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...c-conservatory

Last edited by NotToScale; Jun 10, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:48 PM
Has been

This Baydo thing is all political posturing. We release Meng Wanzhou and they call the whole thing off.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post

Proposed concepts to the conservatory at the old Mendel Gallery site. I like the modular and pronged concepts the best.

Source: https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...c-conservatory
At first glance I really like the "modular" option as something that could be iconic but I wonder about the cost of building such a structure to a high quality of design and finish (Remai quality, not Baydo quality). Clearly these are very preliminary sketches without a lot of design rigour or costing applied.

But in the end I think the current south exposure of the conservatory and landscaped forecourt is really important to the original design concept of the Mendel, so to build directly on to that side or conceal it from view with a new structure would be a disservice to what is now a heritage building.

Source

For that reason I favour any option that is offset from the north-south organizing axis of the Mendel Building to preserve the south exposure. It looks like the "expand" option is the only one that does that, but I would like the pods too if they were spatially offset like that:

This is to say nothing about how on earth this project will be funded, given the talk about a new arena/convention centre and central library. I've been told that an expanded conservatory would be intended to be revenue-generating by being able to accommodate weddings and special events. I suppose a capital fundraising campaign and introducing an admission fee would be on the table as well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 8:35 PM

^^^^ I agree with your comments. The cost and final look will change most definitely, these are early concepts.

I think much, or all, of the existing building should be maintained as much as possible. The reason I like the two options mentioned is to the linear nature of the buildings. The conservatory always felt as a separate node to the art gallery, and these two additions are a continuation of that. The modular does have a physical separation from the existing structure which is nice. And it would create an enclosed courtyard setting between the buildings.

Side note, but I wonder if there is a way to come up with a concept to accentuate and bring the ferry dock into the overall design, if they push the addition towards the river. The dock seems hidden and looks dated.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:46 PM

I would love for it to become something as great or greater than the Muttart Conservatory's Pyramid botanical gardens in Edmonton. They sure are a tourism attraction and place for us permanent folk to take our minds off of the winters, and get exposed to some different climates in the summer. We could name the domes "Atchison Domes"

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 2:14 PM

The Muttart Conservatory is one of my 5 year old nephew's favourite places to go....and he is very much a "little jock", but still loves walking around the 'pyramids'.

I think the combination of the Children's Museum and the Conservatory is a winner! Hope it actually happens.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:05 PM

While we're on the topic, some fantastic photos of the exhibits at Nutrien Wonderhub have been shared on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/wonderhubsk/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:06 PM

When I first saw the Baydo proposal I wasn't against it, but after reading the materials on what should be, yikes. I'm all in favour of more height but this is the type of development that adds fire to the NIMBY flame. Saskatoon needs smart developments which provide benefits to the wider community whether they commercially or aesthetically. This proposal provides nothing but a sister prison to go along with the Holiday Inn downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
We could name the domes "Atchison Domes"
Only if they are relocated to Stonebridge.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:45 PM

Baydo is staying mum on its plans for the 25th St site but in a news release today announced that they'll be building their Broadway project. No mention of a start date but the tweet is a screenshot of the release, so that detail might be cropped out.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
When I first saw the Baydo proposal I wasn't against it, but after reading the materials on what should be, yikes. I'm all in favour of more height but this is the type of development that adds fire to the NIMBY flame. Saskatoon needs smart developments which provide benefits to the wider community whether they commercially or aesthetically. This proposal provides nothing but a sister prison to go along with the Holiday Inn downtown.
I've been thinking about this lately as well... where a poorly designed development can be counter-productive to the cause of infill and intensification.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Baydo is staying mum on its plans for the 25th St site but in a news release today announced that they'll be building their Broadway project. No mention of a start date but the tweet is a screenshot of the release, so that detail might be cropped out.

Well, I've been wrong before!

Taken today:

Last edited by SaskE30; Jun 11, 2019 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:14 PM

I think the Luxe would classify as recent residential. By the way didn't Ken Achs try to build his at least this high?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I think the Luxe would classify as recent residential. By the way didn't Ken Achs try to build his at least this high?
I think the release states that it is the first residential rental to be built in the area since the 70s, which seems about right. Good to see developers providing options near the core, even if they leave something to be desired.

That said, I think the Broadway proposal is somewhat better than the city park monstrosity.

Urban Capital, basically.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I would love for it to become something as great or greater than the Muttart Conservatory's Pyramid botanical gardens in Edmonton. They sure are a tourism attraction and place for us permanent folk to take our minds off of the winters, and get exposed to some different climates in the summer. We could name the domes "Atchison Domes"

Or maybe a smaller version of the Canada's Diversity Gardens they are building in Winnipeg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlyFuTasXk8

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:19 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:00 PM

Re. 880 Broadway

This is slightly better than the "City Park Atrocity" but part of that's just due to its smaller scale I think.

The podium looks OK but a bit boring. But the whole thing together looks like a mess. I don't care for the strong horizontal elements on the tower that conflict with the vertical elements on the podium, and I don't like the small windows on what I presume will be vast expanses of stucco. Other than the colours the tower and podium look totally incongruous. I think some clever design could tie the podium and tower together and at least obscure the current appearance of "cheap cheap cheap" a little bit.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:57 PM

Baydo's Broadway project looks like mostly siding over stucco to me. Likely a combination of sheets and plank. It also looks like they took elements that work well on a house or town house project and transferred it to this. At best I'd say it looks 'meh' and I think Broadway deserves better! Hopefully some tweaks can spruce it up a bit. I do like the idea of adding some rentals to the market though!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:29 PM

Wow that Canada's Diversity Garden is pretty darn cool. I personally love these dome's full of tropics more than an art gallery and would love to have seem the same amount of money put into something of that scale here in Saskatoon. Those domes really improve the mood of people in the winter here - especially after the rough one we just came off of.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:07 PM

Agree....the Diversity Garden in Winnipeg looks like it will be amazing! We can only hope for something as good...I do like the domes option in the Saskatoon version...nothing like that in Saskatoon, as of now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan