HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wouldn't say it's overwhelming, and the ones who are complaining the most are suburbanites who swear they never even go downtown. That's a bit ridiculous. Traffic is one issue, but then again it's bad all over the city, and has been for about 2 decades now - well before this boom even started. I've learned that people will complain about anything on the internet.

My point was I've been surprised by the positive comments on this building and really any planned development in San Antonio, particularly with people saying they hope it upgrades the skyline. There was another article talking about Broadway, and people were saying they thought it was a good thing to see new development along the street.
San Antonio is going through the phase that practically every major city goes through at some point. With the rise of the highways people moved to the suburbs and the suburbs just kept on growing unchecked for several decades leaving the inner city somewhat forgotten (except for the tourism spots in SA's case).

Now there is a large group of people who realize that they don't like sitting in traffic and don't have much need for a backyard with a fence, so they choose to live in a more urban area with a nightlife and closer proximity to where they work. So now there is a need and a desire for growth in the city center both in terms of residential and office buildings (Pearl, River North, Frost, etc.).

Now if San Antonio can only get some rail transit in the works...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 5:01 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
So, I've heard the complaining from Austinites is that the new downtown development is too much, and too quickly, and much of the same downtown development. The new development in Austin is overwhelming to downtown residents, as well as others who work downtown.
I don't know where you get your data, but your assumptions are false. The majority of complaints are related to the fact that there are too many 400 footers going up. Forumers would like to see more of a variety in building heights (specifically taller proposals).

Of the 31 buildings either under construction, approved, or proposed (above 200' in height), ten are between 400' and 499' tall. I think forumers would like to see taller proposals (especially when some condo towers are being almost completely reserved in less than a week - The Independent).

People who live downtown do so because they want the urban feel. Furthermore, I have yet to hear of any business (or worker) complaining about too much development. In fact, it's the opposite. Businesses are lining up in queue to get space downtown.

Just my two cents - as a local forumer.

Let's get back to SA talk...I like the CPS museum/tech center plan designed by Lake/Flato!!!

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Jun 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:22 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Internationally Renowned Architects with Hometown Ties Selected to Design Frost Tower

Link to Article

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO, Sept. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Weston Urban and KDC have announced the selection of internationally renowned architecture firm, Pelli Clarke Pelli, to lead the design of the Frost Tower, Frost Bank's new headquarters and San Antonio's first downtown office tower in three decades.

The design of the approximately 400,000-square-foot office tower will be orchestrated by the architecture firm, based out of New Haven, Conn. In addition to its expertise in modern, iconic towers, the firm's leadership has strong local ties to the San Antonio community. Members of the leadership team Fred Clarke and Bill Butler will lead the project. Clarke, a senior principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli, was born in El Campo and is a graduate of the University of Texas, and Butler, a principal of the firm, was born and raised in San Antonio and is a graduate of Rice University.

"We couldn't possibly be any more excited to announce the selection of Pelli Clarke Pelli to lead the design of the Frost Tower," said Weston Urban President Randy Smith. "Throughout the lengthy selection process, Fred and Bill have consistently wowed us with their firm's understanding that great design is, in large part, local design, all the while bringing their international experience to bear. Pairing with a firm of this caliber is representative of the entire team's ambition for the project."

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:31 PM

Pelli Clarke Pelli Website

These guys have designed some incredible pieces of Architecture. I think its safe to say we can expect a unique and iconic tower no matter the height.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 6:36 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Pelli Clarke Pelli Website

These guys have designed some incredible pieces of Architecture. I think its safe to say we can expect a unique and iconic tower no matter the height.
Yep.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 8:12 PM
James

Wow this is really exciting. Their work is very impressive. I was nervous about who they would choose, but I'm so ready for this.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 8:47 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Wow! Petronas Towers, World Financial Center, Bank of America Headquarters. Yeah, I think they got "iconic" down pretty well. I wonder what elements they will draw on for inspiration. And now that this news is out, I bet interest in occupying the remaining square footage will increase ten fold.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:00 PM
Paradise

This is great. I hope it's really beautiful and modern.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Internationally Renowned Architects with Hometown Ties Selected to Design Frost Tower

Link to Article
Great news! Well worth the wait, now I'm really excited.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

Good choice. I hope they do something cool that works well in San Antonio.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 3:17 PM

Another Article from E-N

Weston Urban selects architects for downtown tower

Link to article

Quote:
Butler says for this project, designing a tower that will serve as Frost Bank’s headquarters, it’s important the building have the right impact to the skyline as well as the street.

“San Antonio at this point could use a response for both of those scales,” Butler said.

Butler called the 2.8-acre property, an entire city square block, “unusually large.”

“That’s a plus, because it allows you to accommodate the scale of a multitenant building, the parking garage and, hopefully, have enough active street retail,” he said.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 7:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

That's great to read. San Antonio has developed many troubles in its growth: traffic, sprawl, etc. But its downtown has always been a nice place. The fact that they have street level retail in mind as a priority is a very good sign.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 11:48 PM
Meh

Awesome news. Can't wait to see the renderings and then see it rise. Pelli Clarke Pelli are the kings of crowns.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:59 PM

A conceptual rendering cannot come soon enough on this one, I'm dying to see what they have in store for this project!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:01 PM

Reading several articles about the selection, there were a few things mentioned that stuck with me. They mentioned a desire to have an impact on both the street level and on the skyline. They talked about the opportunity to tie into the San Pedro creek project, and mentioned the rather large footprint for the building. And finally talked about space for retail.

The proposed site has lanes for motor banking (I would imagine they would want to keep that feature. They need parking for all of their employees, other tenants and customers. Also, the building was slated to be 440k sq ft. That is already limiting the impact on the skyline in terms of height. It has to be a more slender tower and if they link to the linear park, then there will probably be an emphasis on landscaping and green space.

Check out this project of theirs: http://pcparch.com/project/torre-cajasol

Wouldn't that be cool? Of course the sites and surrounding areas are very different. The area around the San Antonio site has most everything paved over and is smaller, but you can see similar elements working.

I know, I know; wait till next Summer to see.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 7:07 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I love projects like that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:17 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Frost Tower Has Selected Its Architects
By Anca Gagiuc, Associate Editor
cpexecutive.com
September 21, 2015
http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/sa...004127879.html

Quote:
Senior Design Principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, Fred Clarke. “As a Texas native, and with my business partner Bill Butler, a San Antonio native, we hope to embrace the Texan spirit, respond to the uniqueness of San Antonio and create a symbol for the city’s tercentennial, as well as the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of Frost Bank.”
Sure, no pressure...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 9:39 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Reading several articles about the selection, there were a few things mentioned that stuck with me. They mentioned a desire to have an impact on both the street level and on the skyline. They talked about the opportunity to tie into the San Pedro creek project, and mentioned the rather large footprint for the building. And finally talked about space for retail.

The proposed site has lanes for motor banking (I would imagine they would want to keep that feature. They need parking for all of their employees, other tenants and customers. Also, the building was slated to be 440k sq ft. That is already limiting the impact on the skyline in terms of height. It has to be a more slender tower and if they link to the linear park, then there will probably be an emphasis on landscaping and green space.

Check out this project of theirs: http://pcparch.com/project/torre-cajasol

Wouldn't that be cool? Of course the sites and surrounding areas are very different. The area around the San Antonio site has most everything paved over and is smaller, but you can see similar elements working.

I know, I know; wait till next Summer to see.

That would be awesome. However, over half of this (Frost) tower is still SPEC. And companies these days are preferring larger floor plates. Unless the total SF is increased (from the roughly 400,000 proposed), I believe this tower will have 20-30 levels of office space (depending on the final size of the floor plates). The tower could also rise higher by placing above ground parking under the office space.

Torre Sevilla/Cajasol (the tower depicted above) was a 1.9 million SF master development. The tower, itself, consists of 732,000 SF of space (roughly 18,000-19,000 SF floor plates). About 40% larger than the proposed Frost. So, although it is a really cool tower, and an example of PCP's work, I do not believe it is not a good representation of what Frost will (may) become...unless Weston increases the SPEC space by ~300,000 SF.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Sep 22, 2015 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 12:35 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

It won't be between 20 and 30 floors. Thats all I'll say.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:15 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
That would be awesome. However, over half of this (Frost) tower is still SPEC. And companies these days are preferring larger floor plates. Unless the total SF is increased (from the roughly 400,000 proposed), I believe this tower will have 20-30 levels of office space (depending on the final size of the floor plates). The tower could also rise higher by placing above ground parking under the office space.

Torre Sevilla/Cajasol (the tower depicted above) was a 1.9 million SF master development. The tower, itself, consists of 732,000 SF of space (roughly 18,000-19,000 SF floor plates). About 40% larger than the proposed Frost. So, although it is a really cool tower, and an example of PCP's work, I do not believe it is not a good representation of what Frost will (may) become...unless Weston increases the SPEC space by ~300,000 SF.
Or it could also incorporate other uses in the building. Looking at some of the other high rises designed by big firms, some of them are only tall because they also added hotel, residential, etc.

Another thing they could do, as I think CPS wants/wanted to do, is try to lure another company (or companies) with the tower making the square footage even larger. That would probably be more difficult though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio