HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Just jab that knife a little deeper haha. Yes, we know all too well thank you.
When city rep said, "As Dengler said the biggest mistake here is Victoria Avenues development", I was almost going to mention Headingley in reply, but I guess no need.

Plus, I'm not the first person that said this.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:25 PM

Here's a quick solution to increasing traffic on the new bypass: build a combined Tim Horton's and Dollarama at each exit.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:26 PM

Google Maps has the new bypass, but some elements are missing. For example, Google will not let you exit onto or enter from Highway 6. It believes the bypass crosses it with grade separation, without an interchange. (I filed a correction, but it's not been processed yet.)

It will take some time for the traffic levels to build. Lots of locals don't even know it's open yet.

Personally, while I have driven the length of it for curiosity, I've also used it several times for practical purposes, including commuting from northwest Regina to extreme south Regina (it's within a minute or two of the commute time via Lewvan Drive or Ring Road, and when traffic isn't good on those routes, it's actually faster), and to and from the Cypress Hills last month (it's a much quicker way for me to get to Highway 1 West than going via Lewvan Drive). I also go to the US monthly via Highway 6 and will use the bypass to avoid the city traffic along Lewvan Drive or Ring Road on that trip as well.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Not sure where those vehicles are going to magically appear from.
Wishful thinking that traffic volume will mysteriously quadruple in 20 years on the $2B overbuilt ring road, what is Regina going to do quadruple the current population in 20 years?

Spending close to $2B on a ring road for a city of 235K was asinine and irresponsible for any govt. especially one that preaches financial accountability!

Last edited by rrskylar; Dec 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wishful thinking that traffic volume will mysteriously quadruple in 20 years on the $2B overbuilt ring road, what is Regina going to quadruple the current population in 20 years.

Spending close to $2B on a ring road for a city of 235K was asinine and irresponsible for any govt. especially one that preaches financial accountability!
I can't believe anyone would think the oil boom of 10 years ago will happen again, especially with the advances of extraction technology that has happened since. These are the same people who think Trudeau is to blame for the oil field's problems, but I digress. Saskatchewan (and Regina) isn't going to expand like it did then, likely ever again. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that. Most of the growth we have right now is coming from international immigration and that is just as much of an unsustainable expectation as hoping for another oil boom. That $2B would have went MUCH further if it was invested in high tech and other industries that we will need to attract to have any kind of hope for the future. The bypass and the GTH aren't going to get us the industries of the future (especially since automation of the trucking industry is not far away).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
When city rep said, "As Dengler said the biggest mistake here is Victoria Avenues development", I was almost going to mention Headingley in reply, but I guess no need.

Plus, I'm not the first person that said this.
haha ya all good.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:58 PM
BANNED

just wanted to come back to this, as someone who has visited Regina a few times, it was obvious to me as an outsider how wasteful this project was. how can anyone who lives there have thought it was a good idea? you have such a beautiful downtown and core area, so much could have been done to improve other forms of transit or city beautification.. just bizarre

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:55 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
just wanted to come back to this, as someone who has visited Regina a few times, it was obvious to me as an outsider how wasteful this project was. how can anyone who lives there have thought it was a good idea? you have such a beautiful downtown and core area, so much could have been done to improve other forms of transit or city beautification.. just bizarre
Ring road was built with Provincial funds so these projects would not have been possible.

The road was definitely needed but probably overkill. The west and east portions were badly needed. The central portion should be been built as an upgrade to #1 from the west bypass to where the road turns NE near the university. From that point it should have been built straight east until it rejoines the current alignment. There is no reason for the giant detour to the south.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Ring road was built with Provincial funds so these projects would not have been possible.

The road was definitely needed but probably overkill. The west and east portions were badly needed. The central portion should be been built as an upgrade to #1 from the west bypass to where the road turns NE near the university. From that point it should have been built straight east until it rejoines the current alignment. There is no reason for the giant detour to the south.
Public transportation is certainly something the province could have funded.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Public transportation is certainly something the province could have funded.
Goods aren't shipped via public transportation. Getting goods to and from markets in an efficient manner is key to a good economy.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Goods aren't shipped via public transportation. Getting goods to and from markets in an efficient manner is key to a good economy.
Yeah, in 1953.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
It will take some time for the traffic levels to build. Lots of locals don't even know it's open yet.
...to this point (not arguing that volumes will hit the inflated projects), getting the Bypass in all GPS software will help - if I weren't from Regina, and Waze or Google or Apple or Garmin tells me to take Vic/Ring Road from Winnipeg to Swift, that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to follow the bypass signage, and I doubt I'm alone in this.

Speaking of signage - there's still signage improvements needed to direct traffic to the Bypass. For example, heading south on Albert, the huge overhead sign for Winnipeg still directs traffic to the Ring Road... not to the Bypass. I'm certain there are other signs around the city that someone needs to change (Highways, in most cases, I assume - though there may be some that are the City's responsibility. I don't know the inner working of these, other than to know that the legacy signs are still up, and aren't directing traffic to the optimal route)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Yeah, in 1953.
No, that's always been the case and always will be.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:29 PM

I drove the west side from #11 to #1 on Sunday. Unbelievably light traffic. When I hit the Ring Road south between Albert and Wascana there was at least 10 times more traffic.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I drove the west side from #11 to #1 on Sunday. Unbelievably light traffic. When I hit the Ring Road south between Albert and Wascana there was at least 10 times more traffic.
I drove Victoria Ave east Saturday afternoon. It took me around 10 minutes to get from Costco to Ring Rd. There were only one or two semis but traffic was still pretty ridiculous.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Ring Road should be busier. It has all the local traffic.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
I drove Victoria Ave east Saturday afternoon. It took me around 10 minutes to get from Costco to Ring Rd. There were only one or two semis but traffic was still pretty ridiculous.
I live northwest, and was at Costco Sunday. We did the bypass all the way around from 9th North to Victoria. Took awhile, but at least I didn't have to fight the traffic.

I'm not sure it was faster, but it was definitely more relaxing.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 10:41 PM

I was in Regina on the weekend and headed home to Saskatoon on Saturday afternoon from Southland Mall. In the past, I would have went over to Lewvan and north on that to Highway 11. This time, I took the Trans-Canada west to the Bypass and then took that north to Highway 11. Definitely quicker, as there was very light traffic and I was able to travel unimpeded.

Just for fun, I just went to Google Maps to see what it showed for options and times to my Saskatoon address. Interestingly enough, the default route from Google is Ring Road around the east side of the City and then joining on to Highway 11. I'd never even considered it, but Google shows it as 2 Hours, 38 minutes. It shows the Bypass route as 2 Hours and 39 minutes and the Lewvan route as 2 hours and 43 minutes. So all pretty close. My feeling, however, is that the light traffic on the Bypass route will generally result in the fastest and definitely the lowest stress option of the three routes.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I live northwest, and was at Costco Sunday. We did the bypass all the way around from 9th North to Victoria. Took awhile, but at least I didn't have to fight the traffic.

I'm not sure it was faster, but it was definitely more relaxing.
Less stress is well worth the extra time.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Less stress is well worth the extra time.
just like how people will hit 11 then TCH to go between Saskatoon and Winnipeg in winter so they don’t have to stress themselves with the 2-lane Yellowhead Highway

=====
Again, I didn’t come up with this. Someone in this subforum told me it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan