HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
An article on the project, a few wrong facts, ie that Tiffany Towers will be the tallest in the province. But an interesting detail was released, the two towers will combine for 432 units! Great stuff.

Here's the link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...owers-308.html
There's some opposition mounting to the project according to the notes for the Monday Council Meeting. Some people are pulling out all the stops -
Don't need tall building, spoils the scenery,
Aircraft will crash into the buildings,
There's not enough water pressure,
Too much traffic,
Too much development, etc.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
There's some opposition mounting to the project according to the notes for the Monday Council Meeting. Some people are pulling out all the stops -
Too much traffic,
Unfortunately we will always see this type of resistance.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:37 PM

If the city listens to those foolish complaints and does not approve this I am seriously moving to Halifax. Over 70% of people are in support of it and it is a great project. I honestly don't know what is wrong with people..

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:34 PM
ARTchitecture

LMAO! "airplanes will crash into the buildings" Who the hell are these people? Probably born back in the days of lead paint Or just too much glue sniffing...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
If the city listens to those foolish complaints and does not approve this I am seriously moving to Halifax. Over 70% of people are in support of it and it is a great project. I honestly don't know what is wrong with people..
Now, now... there's no need to go all Insanity Wolf. You have to stay in St. John's, with Tiffany Estates.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
LMAO! "airplanes will crash into the buildings" Who the hell are these people? Probably born back in the days of lead paint Or just too much glue sniffing...
Unfortunately this is the stuff you have to deal with in this city.....

As well, this individual submitted a handwritten letter of concern to council. So yeah, he probably was born during the days of lead paint.... LOL.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:14 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Too much traffic,
Can you link to the notes for the council meeting?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...011%202013.pdf

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:19 PM
ハルウララ

Are you guys writing in/attending council meetings/voicing your approval for such a development in the public domain? There are plenty that feel the same as those of us on here but just aren't vocal about it, and if there is one or two willing to there will certainly be people who bandwagon on the cause if they see others supporting something they believe in/want.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, that's what our St. John's Steel-toe Boot Squad thread is about. It's very important we all speak up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, that's what our St. John's Steel-toe Boot Squad thread is about. It's very important we all speak up.
If you ever need help you can always call in the big guns (me )

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 8:47 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Re: the Nimby comment above (not from the poster) - "Aircraft will crash into the buildings". I just want to note the heights of control towers (they are often tall); also that at many airports, hotels are attached to the terminals and are often 14 floors high. LOL.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Re: the Nimby comment above (not from the poster) - "Aircraft will crash into the buildings". I just want to note the heights of control towers (they are often tall); also that at many airports, hotels are attached to the terminals and are often 14 floors high. LOL.
Has that guy even seen the height that planes circle the city at? The airport is at such an elevation that aircraft on approach for runway 16/34 (which points almost directly at Tiffany Lane) are usually still near 1000ft over sea-level when they near this proposal's area.

Any body with those types of concerns should look at Billy Bishop Airport in Toronto. You could hit it with a baseball thrown from the observation deck of the CN Tower...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 10:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This isn't even NIMBYism anymore. It's NIMCism.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 10:09 PM

Most of the complaints about having two 16-story buildings instead of four 10-story buildings don't even make sense.

1. Planes hitting the building: Completely and utterly impossible. I literally laughed when I read that.

2. Increased traffic: There are less units in this proposal than in the previous 10-story proposal, thus less traffic impact than what was already approved years ago.

3. "Amount of condos/apartments in the area is appalling: You live in an urban environment. That's what it's supposed to be like. Get used to it, or move to Paradise.

4. Lack of green space/takes up too much land: This proposal uses much less land and leaves much more green space than the original four, 10-story buildings would have

5. Tiffany lane is a LANE and cannot handle more cars: It's the name of the road. Next will you be saying we cannot drive on Majors Path anymore because it is just a path, not designed for vehicular traffic??

6. T'will look too prominent: It is much more visually appealing to see varied heights in a skyline. Personally, I think five basically identical 10-story buildings would look cheap and bunker-ish. Twin towers that stand out have a much better visual effect. (IMO)

This new proposal is better in every way than the old. If it is not approved solely on height, there is something seriously wrong with council. I have faith it will be approved though!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 10:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

lol Hear, hear!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:19 AM

No worries, I'd say this'll be approved. The main arguments against the proposal are laughable at best, and I would hope that council is capable of thinking this one through properly and seeing how beneficial this development could be

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Too much traffic,
At only 16 stories that far away from the airport? I wonder how Porter manages to land at Billy Bishop ariport with the CN tower so big and close?

THIS was a challenging landing:

From Iloveplanes.com blog

I would have loved to have flown into Kai Tak airport before it closed! But anyways, Hong Kong has a much less challenging airport these days and it wasn't a death trap back when Kai Tak was open, so this just goes to show the absurdity of what some of the NIMBYs trudge up.

Basically, what I take from most of the anti-everything-crowd comments is 'yeah, I know the city had experts check all this out, but I know I'm right and they're wrong!' 'Don't ruin my view of the gorgeous Torbay Road Mall!'

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 2:42 PM

Here is a reply in the telegram to Ryan Crockers March 5th letter

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/L...ough-already/1

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:14 PM

Awfully presumptuous to assume that Mr. Crocker's desire for high-density development is already well-met... she obviously doesn't know our friend SHH...!!

Fact is, that block of land is terribly under-utilized in terms of density and is an ideal location for true high-density development. Within easy walking distance you have schools, churches, groceries, pharmacies, banks, liquor, Tim Horton's, hardware, fast food, restaurants, etc, etc. And its proximity to walking trails, parks, post-secondary (MUN, CONA, Marine), downtown, Quidi Vidi Lake, airport, ORR, etc make it a great location to live. We have such a great opportunity to create a true urban environment in this area. It's absolutely shameful that there's a vocal opposition at all.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 3:39 PM

It's not very nice to be mean to people who have opposing views, but that woman is just plain dumb.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's