HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:44 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I for one would hope they make the intelligent decision and name the new Saskatoon team the Rough Riders.

I miss listening to those classic Roughriders V. Rough Riders confrontations over the radio; you never really knew who had the ball.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I for one would hope they make the intelligent decision and name the new Saskatoon team the Rough Riders.

I miss listening to those classic Roughriders V. Rough Riders confrontations over the radio; you never really knew who had the ball.
Regina Roughriders facing the Saskatoon Roughriders tonight after a dreadful loss to the Ottawa Roughriders last week.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 7:35 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:

Uh yeah, I really don't think that it will be allowed in today's professional leagues where they only allow one team to have a certain name XD. And yes, I am excluding collegiate leagues as they operate on a different system, and the NCAA has a buttload of teams.

The only other alternative for a name that might suit Saskatoon besides the Miners is the 85ers in referrence to the Northwest Rebellion, but I'm hoping that name will be reserved for a future NHL team :o

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Uh yeah, I really don't think that it will be allowed in today's professional leagues where they only allow one team to have a certain name XD. And yes, I am excluding collegiate leagues as they operate on a different system, and the NCAA has a buttload of teams.

The only other alternative for a name that might suit Saskatoon besides the Miners is the 85ers in referrence to the Northwest Rebellion, but I'm hoping that name will be reserved for a future NHL team :o
what about the Saskatoon Berries?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:55 PM
Canadian Urbanite

if Saskatoon were to ever get an NHL team.....I don't even know....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a name like the "Saskatoon ReginaBeaters", considering the long history of Saskatoon-ites having an inferiority complex that requires them to constantly hate on the city to the south.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
if Saskatoon were to ever get an NHL team.....I don't even know....
Only 30 short years ago it seemed as though Saskatoon would get the St. Louis Blues...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:09 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Only 30 short years ago it seemed as though Saskatoon would get the St. Louis Blues...
Yes - within that 30 years though they would have almost certainly been relocated.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with a name like the "Saskatoon ReginaBeaters", considering the long history of Saskatoon-ites having an inferiority complex that requires them to constantly hate on the city to the south.
Lol lol lol lol too funny lol

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
It is probably just as well that they didn't get a team. The NHL has changed over the past 30 years and there is not near enough corporate support in Saskatoon for a team to be profitable. It is good to see the Blades attendance up this year, but they are still 13th in junior attendance and 47th overall in minor/junior attendance, so they are hardly NHL caliber. I don't think you will ever see the NHL in Saskatoon. Maybe they could get an AHL team one day.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 4:25 AM

Quote:

hahaha I imagined that and it was awesome.

good job imagination

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 7:35 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
what about the Saskatoon Berries?
Aren't berries urban slang for testicles?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 1:37 AM

Say what you will, but those things are damn tasty.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:49 PM

Should we replace the title of this thread from CFL to NHL?... Don Cherry thinks so...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA View Post
Should we replace the title of this thread from CFL to NHL?... Don Cherry thinks so...
Maybe we should go for an NFL team instead.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Maybe we should go for an NFL team instead.
Lol, what? The NFL in no way compares to the NHL. What's your intentions with that statement?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:22 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Would be pretty sweet, but I don't think it will happen for at least a decade. But if they can pull it off, I am hoping that they will be called the Saskatoon Miners in referrence to the uranium mining business Saskatchewan is well known for
The CFL with 2 strong franchises in Saskatchewan would be such boon to the whole league. Potash Corporation would have to step up to the plate and Saskatoon grow another 140,000 residents, but neither is out of the question. At the rate Saskatoon is growing, they could be there within 20 years. Maybe the Okanagan will be ready for a team by then too.

Can you imagine how insane those Saskatchewan - Saskatoon games would be? NOISY!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Lol, what? The NFL in no way compares to the NHL. What's your intentions with that statement?
My intentions of this statement was to mock the idea of NHL in Saskatoon. Don't get me wrong, it is a great dream to have a team in the most talented hockey league right here with some of the best players in the world, especially considering a number of players are from these parts. It would also be good entertainment for those able to attend games. I just am dumbfounded by the media hype this is getting and stand in disbelief at those who think this is a feasible target.

I also realize this is just my opinion, and if there is really the financial clout in Saskatoon to make this happen I surely will try to attend some games. Everyone in my social circles I have talked to thinks this is as ridiculous an idea as I do. I don't like to be a downer but I just needed to vent because turning off the radio and news isn't working for me - I just wish people in media would keep their feet on the ground over this issue.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
My intentions of this statement was to mock the idea of NHL in Saskatoon. Don't get me wrong, it is a great dream to have a team in the most talented hockey league right here with some of the best players in the world, especially considering a number of players are from these parts. It would also be good entertainment for those able to attend games. I just am dumbfounded by the media hype this is getting and stand in disbelief at those who think this is a feasible target.

I also realize this is just my opinion, and if there is really the financial clout in Saskatoon to make this happen I surely will try to attend some games. Everyone in my social circles I have talked to thinks this is as ridiculous an idea as I do. I don't like to be a downer but I just needed to vent because turning off the radio and news isn't working for me - I just wish people in media would keep their feet on the ground over this issue.
I kinda thought that but bringing up the NFL is kind of ridiculous and an over exaggeration. NFL requires a stadium greater than 60,000, tens of millions of dollars in corporate support, over a million local population and have a player salary cap of $120 million (in 2011). The NHL's requirements would be much less those figures, and there is already a stadium able to be used and an owner with deep pockets. The revenue structure of both leagues are completely different also.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The revenue structure of both leagues are completely different also.
But that fact almost makes the NFL more viable than the NHL in smaller markets, since NFL is more television driven than gate driven (at least that's what I seem to always read).

Last edited by rypinion; Mar 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan