HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Separate sub-forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan
Yes 28 63.64%
No 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:21 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Personally, I see no value in splitting the forums. Myself, every so often I wander into the Sask threads to see what's happening next door.

This probably wouldn't be the case if I had to trouble myself with making a few extra clicks.

And let's be honest fellow Winnipeggers, we've spent the last 2 days discussing the novelty of riding on escalators so let's not all get ahead of ourselves with how much more activity there is in MB compared to Sask.

That said, if Man / Sask do split..

I'd be all for NorthWest Ontario being merged with the Manitoba section.

Vid is more or less an honourary Manitoban as it stands.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:56 PM

Can anyone provide any information as to why the subforums were merged in the first place?

That would provide some insight as to whether or not this might be the appropriate course of action...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 10:11 PM
the first stamp is free

If there are separate sub forums for Manitoba and Saskatchewan, why wouldn't we just merge all of Western Canada into one forum, with all the major cities having their own sub-forum?

What's the point of having two areas for AB/BC and MB/SK?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
I am a typical

Western Canada was originally all in one forum, then it was split into three: BC, Alberta, and Manitoba and Saskatchewan (which we called Mansack for a time). For about a week, Northern Ontario was grouped with Manitoba and Saskatchewan as well, but was re-separated because they don't want single provinces or states separated between multiple forums. Vancouver was then given a Local forum (the first one on SSP), which resulted in dwindling numbers in the separated BC forum (in addition to the Vancouver local, Victoria has VibrantVictoria). Low numbers in Alberta (Edmonton has its own forum as well, so it was mostly Calgarians in that forum), resulted in BC and Alberta being merged.

Considering Ontario and Quebec are both single forums with multiple locals, I guess a Western Canada forum with the Vancouver local and subforums (not locals, just a single forum below Western Canada) for Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg could work. Everything for smaller communities between the Pacific and Ontario as well as general Western discussion could go in the western forum.

Or you could just tag all Saskatchewan threads with a smilie like many cities do in P&C.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 12:17 AM
BANNED

What is the holdup? The results of the poll speak for themselves.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Personally, I see no value in splitting the forums. Myself, every so often I wander into the Sask threads to see what's happening next door.

This probably wouldn't be the case if I had to trouble myself with making a few extra clicks.

And let's be honest fellow Winnipeggers, we've spent the last 2 days discussing the novelty of riding on escalators so let's not all get ahead of ourselves with how much more activity there is in MB compared to Sask.

That said, if Man / Sask do split..

I'd be all for NorthWest Ontario being merged with the Manitoba section.

Vid is more or less an honourary Manitoban as it stands.
this

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:43 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
What is the holdup? The results of the poll speak for themselves.
Administration talks these things over in a process that is very similar to J. R. R. Tolkien's fabled Entmoot.

Just be patient.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Administration talks these things over in a process that is very similar to J. R. R. Tolkien's fabled Entmoot.

Just be patient.
I know patience is a virtue, but with all the negative/monotonous rhetoric coming from Winnipeg people in Regina threads, its getting to the point where this place is no longer fun to participate. I know its important to share opposing views on various subjects, but its actually gotten to the point where khabibulin is now telling us in the Regina thread that there is "far too much" glass half full talk about the stadium issue.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:11 AM

Quote:
I know patience is a virtue, but with all the negative/monotonous rhetoric coming from Winnipeg people in Regina threads, its getting to the point where this place is no longer fun to participate. I know its important to share opposing views on various subjects, but its actually gotten to the point where khabibulin is now telling us in the Regina thread that there is "far too much" glass half full talk about the stadium issue.
I never said that Migs. Go back and read my post again. And I am in Ottawa. There is a city really in need of a football stadium

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I know patience is a virtue, but with all the negative/monotonous rhetoric coming from Winnipeg people in Regina threads, its getting to the point where this place is no longer fun to participate.
I tend to see this as a recent even, specifically in the Regina thread. But honestly, the Winnipeg threads have to endure trolls from other regions of Canada (Tower Crane) and even the States (Wayward Prince) continually coming on Winnipeg threads, stating every single thing wrong with our projects (in their opinion), or just how much they think Winnipeg sucks or whatever. Oh, and let's not forget our favorite Edmontonians, feepa and Shofear, mocking Winnipeg projects as well as our attempt to retaining an NHL team. This is absolutely maddening and frustrating. I deal with it by taking potshots at those who mock, but that isn't always the best way to deal with it either.

Bottom line is that there will always be those who's opinion you don't like, but such is life and we must deal with it, because it won't go away anytime soon, even in seperate forums. That being said, however, I still would like to see seperate forum, or at the very least a Winnipeg local subforum.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 4:56 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Khabibulin is a troll. Ignore him. You can do that in your personal settings. If he is saying things that violate forum rules, use the report post button in the top right corner.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 5:59 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
I tend to see this as a recent even, specifically in the Regina thread. But honestly, the Winnipeg threads have to endure trolls from other regions of Canada (Tower Crane) and even the States (Wayward Prince) continually coming on Winnipeg threads, stating every single thing wrong with our projects (in their opinion), or just how much they think Winnipeg sucks or whatever. Oh, and let's not forget our favorite Edmontonians, feepa and Shofear, mocking Winnipeg projects as well as our attempt to retaining an NHL team. This is absolutely maddening and frustrating. I deal with it by taking potshots at those who mock, but that isn't always the best way to deal with it either.

Bottom line is that there will always be those who's opinion you don't like, but such is life and we must deal with it, because it won't go away anytime soon, even in seperate forums. That being said, however, I still would like to see seperate forum, or at the very least a Winnipeg local subforum.
Well, we know that it's clear there will be "haters" drinking the "haterade" over Winnipeg, no matter what, and I too am tired of it, but at the end of the day, who gives a flying f***? They only want to draw attentions to themselves anyway.

For me, I have a saying that goes "the louder they are, the dumber they get." Personally, it's my take on the classic saying "silence is golden."

Now back on topic, after looking through this thread again, if it results, to the very least, in Winnipeg getting a sub-forum, then I'm all for it, as a compromise. Separating Man and Sask would be cutting it too far in my opinion.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 6:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Now back on topic, after looking through this thread again, if it results, to the very least, in Winnipeg getting a sub-forum, then I'm all for it, as a compromise. Separating Man and Sask would be cutting it too far in my opinion.
I think this is likely the most realistic outcome. If we give Winnipeg our own sub-forum (local), and likely lump all non-Winnipeg (rest of Manitoba) with Saskatchewan, I think this will please most people.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

YO!!! guys chill!!!

1ajs

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
YO!!! guys chill!!!

1ajs
1ajs,

We are having a discussion here that will involve some people needing to vent, and this is a good place to do it instead of other threads. You need to understand that some people are frustration, and need a place to just let it out, and this thread is the place to do it. Please understand this.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Neat.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 20, 2011 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:03 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Just to play devils advocate for a second..

What is the real benefit of carving up the forum into all these niche specific sub-forums?

Nobody has presented a compelling argument for why we need to do this.

As I see it, right now active threads float to the top and there's a sticky for each of the three major cities.

That doesn't sound so bad.

It makes our little piece of the SSP rock easy to navigate, and even occasionally encourages discussion with our country cousins next door.

In my view, this whole excercise has resulted in a solution in search of a problem.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:07 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

^ completely agree.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:

What is the real benefit of carving up the forum into all these niche specific sub-forums?

As I see it, right now active threads float to the top and there's a sticky for each of the three major cities.

It makes our little piece of the SSP rock easy to navigate, and even occasionally encourages discussion with our country cousins next door.

In my view, this whole excercise has resulted in a solution in search of a problem.
See my previous post below, to save on repetition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Again, if there is no seperation of the two provinces from within this forum (as I am hoping there will be), I would like to see Winnipeg get it's own subsection, as we have enough posters/topics for a variety of subject matter happening within the city (ie retail, dining, entertainment, sports, construction, infrastructure, transportation, etc.), similar to cities like Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, etc. Winnipeg has a large enough membership to warrant this, plus I also think this will intice more "hidden" members to come forth and contribute with a more organized and increased subject matter.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:31 AM

Quote:

Excellent post.

I think that if people are serious about altering the format (which aparently many do feel strongly about, given to poll results), we should have a serious discussion about the problems are. If someone could post a pro's and con's list, that would be great.

But I have the feeling that whatever the perceived problems are, splitting the forum in 2 will not necessarily solve them: (ie: If some are upset that "outsiders" are posting in "their" threads, they need to realize that those same "outsiders" will still be able to post in "their" threads even if the forum is split.)

Maybe there are alternatives (like RTD has mentioned), or maybe things don't need to change at all. Either way, I'd really like to see the perspectives from those who voted for change on what isn't working now...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan