HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:17 AM

Summertime Off, Travel and Photo Contemplation Help

For the next couple weekends, my entire summer leave in July, and an expected long weekend in august, I plan on visiting several different cities in Canada and part of the US. My reasoning behind this is mostly to explore and contrast the different cities via filmography in a fair fashion from a singular perspective (myself).

Intended places include, in the intended order of arrival (Subject to change):

Petawawa/Pembroke, Ontario (Early June)
Ottawa, Ontario (Mid-Late June)
Toronto, Ontario (Late June)
Vancouver, BC (Early July)
Naniamo, BC (Early-Mid July)
Comox Valley, BC (Mid July)
Jersey City through to Fort Lee, NJ (Mid-Late July)
Manhatten, NYC, NY (Late July)
Montreal, QC (Late July)
Akron, Ohio (Early August)

My intention for Ottawa, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, the North-East New Jersey Waterfront, and New York City, is to start before sunrise and not stop walking and taking photo's until after sunset, so as to capture the city from awakening to sleep. What my plan includes is identifying prime locations for photography beforehand, and going everywhere inbetween going from point to point by foot. Unless it is a landmark or special form of transportation (Seabus and Skytrain in Vancouver, Subway in NYC, etc), I intend to walk the whole time. I expect to go anywhere from 20 - 40 kilometers or more per day (13 - 25+ miles).

Petawawa, Pembroke, Naniamo, Comox, and Akron I don't expect would be day long, and based on the spread out build form and smaller pops of the first three I likely will use transit to get around.

Petawawa and Pembroke I intend to explore on my own next weekend, and should be my first photo thread.

Ottawa
- Following weekend or July 1st and 2nd. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated. If anyone is willing to provide a room on the 1st give me a shout.

Toronto - I want to do the following weekend, and would be arriving Saturday morning at around 6am. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated. I'd like to be flying out to Vancouver late that evening. However, if I can't get a redeye, I'd perfer to get a Sunday morning or afternoon flight if someone is willing to let me crash for the night. Else I have to leave the city before I like too or book a hotel for the night.

Vancouver - July 5th or 6th. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated. I plan on doing UBC along south false creek, into downtown, across to north shore, then back to downtown via seabus.

Vancouver Suburbs - 6th or 7th Pending, though I want to ride the WCE again. Haven't done that since 1995.

Naniamo - Early-Mid July. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated.

Comox Valley - Mid July. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated.

North-East New Jersey - Mid-Late July. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated.

Manhatten - Mid-Late July. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated.

Boroughs of NYC - Late July. Pending; however, points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated should I go ahead with it.

Montreal - Layte July. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated. A place to crash for a ngiht would also be appreciated. Likely 24th of July. Take note I don't speak a word of french.

Akron - Early August. Points of interest and people willing to tag along are wanted and appreciated.

Points of interest from every city are always appreciated, I need places to go (points of interest include good resteraunts and public shitters). Anyone local who wants to tag along from each are also welcome and much appreciated. If you are willing to provide a room for a night at the city specified, it would be greatly appreciated, as it saves me an average of 100 per night on lodging. For anyone wanting to tag along or provide a place to crash send me a pm. be forwarned I am not very politically correct, though if requested I will bite my toung for certain special occasions like dinner at a finer resteraunt, around kids, etc.

Additional info, I'm a 19 year old in the military. Only dangerous when armed. I like to explore, as I think would be evident by this. I value the journey more than the end, try to keep an open mind, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States