HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:10 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

The most dangerous cities in Canada - A Maclean's exclusive

Has this been brought up here before?

The most dangerous cities in Canada

Top Ten High Crime Cities:
1. Regina
2. Saskatoon
3. Winnipeg
4. Prince George
5. Edmonton
6. New Westminster
7. Chilliwack
8. Victoria
9. Vancouver
10. Halifax

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cime is down 49% in Winnipeg so far this year
www.winnipeg.ca/crimestat

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Arthabaska, Que., which sits halfway between Montreal and Quebec City, was Canada's murder city, 2006, but ranked 21st in the overall rankings.

In other words, they had 2 murders in 2006 instead of 0 or 1?

Beyond the actual crime statistics themselves, which you can get directly from Statistics Canada, the Macleans article is mostly worthless.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 5:47 PM
I am a typical

1. This list does not include Thunder Bay, therefore it is crap.

2. This isn't "a Maclean's exclusive"; this is data publicly available on Statistics Canada's website!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post

1. Regina
2. Saskatoon
3. Winnipeg
4. Prince George
5. Edmonton
6. New Westminster
7. Chilliwack
8. Victoria
9. Vancouver
10. Halifax
and I thought Mayor Pat had taken a bite out of crime.

When it is actually national trends in crime rates being reduced. Really, how can Pat Fiacco ( ) and the Regina Police Service actually claim that crime is going down when Regina is always at or near the top of this list????

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 8:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post

1. Regina
2. Saskatoon
3. Winnipeg
4. Prince George
5. Edmonton
6. New Westminster
7. Chilliwack
8. Victoria
9. Vancouver
10. Halifax

When I hear those cities mentioned the first thing that comes to mind is scary, downright sends a shiver up my spine! What a fucking joke, trust Mcleans to come up with shit like that.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 8:52 PM
Mooderator

WOW Regina is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, my dad had his ball-point hitch stolen from his truck once and then one time I saw this indian dude emerge from a 7-11 dumpster on Albert, I was like, man this place is crime-ridden.

whatever, Macleans, you can spin this shit all you want.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 9:29 PM

"A Maclean's exclusive"

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 9:45 PM
BANNED

How is this spin?

How can crime stats from the various police forces be spin?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:38 PM
Back from the dead

^It's not exactly. It's just that every time MacLean's has something to say about the state of this country , it seems that pretty much everywhere but Central Canada is going to hell in a handbasket. It's not so much the contents of the article but the choice of topics. You can rest assured that this is something that won't get brought up the next time Toronto gets three murders in a day and "Somebody has to stop the insanity !". Then it's a question of what the country needs to do and to get it done quickly...for the sake of all Canadians who have heard of Toronto's crime problems.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:43 PM

It's hard to judge how dangerous a city is today based on two-year-old stats. I don't think most people associate car thefts with danger. They make no mention of how much crime is actually reported in each particular area. They make no mention of how much of this was random acts of violence. I would venture to guess that some cities report at a higher rate than others. Things that get reported one night in any given city may not be reported in another city, or even in that same city the next night. We called the cops one night because there were a couple of drunk teenagers who were going to fight on the street in front of our house one night. Three other neighbors also called the cops. These kids yelled and shoved a bit but not a punch was thrown before one neighbor came out and a couple of their friends held them apart. The cops showed up and took away the kid who started the whole thing. So now you have a reported incident where nothing actually happened. A couple of kids who got drunk at a party and wanted to fight. And never actually did.

I don't care where you are...there are bad people right around the corner. A lot of it is perception. I remember a story a few years back about people on a tour from Winnipeg who refused to leave their hotels because it was so "dangerous". That's ridiculous. I don't think most of this crime is random...a lot of people bring it on themselves. Most of it is about who you associate yourself with. There will always be random acts of violence, and that's too bad. But it happens absolutely everywhere.

I have a friend who was beaten and robbed by 5 guys in Calgary on his way to work after class one day. He made it to the train and another guy tried to rob him. Of course he had nothing left for the guy to take. He had a horrible time in Calgary and had quite a few problems in the two years he was there. Calgary isn't even on that list. A lot of it is who you know but some of it is just crappy luck.

If Maclean's wanted to prove something, they would dig and dig until they found stats that are relevent today.

Last edited by BrannyMuffin; Mar 13, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:49 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

The top 9 are all in Western Canada.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 10:50 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
cime is down 49% in Winnipeg so far this year
www.winnipeg.ca/crimestat
Vehicle theft is also down.

"According to Manitoba Public Insurance, auto theft in Winnipeg was down 29% in 2007 compared with 2006. " taken from Sun Media Feb 26, 2008

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:17 PM
BANNED

Crime rates are down nationwide and in most western nations. That is why this type of list gives one a true sense of what is being accomplished. If a city, like Regina, is consistently in the top 3 in crimes then local authorities have done very little to actually curb crime, and are riding a national trend. On the flip side, if a city is consistently dropping on the list, then credit should, and can, be given to local authorities and the manner it which it was accomplished.

What this clearly shows is the Regina's Mayor Pat Fiacco is a complete failure at dealing with crime in Regina. Which happens to be one his so-called "accomplishments".

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 11:29 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Another pointless survey to make smug asswipes in Toronto feel good about themselves.

This is why I never read MacLeans. It's basically the Ontario digest.

Crime is bad here, but its bad in Toronto too.

I think 1ajs is right about Winnipeg's decreasing crime rate. For the last few years Edmonton has been beating us on the kill count, and I know that Vancouver tops us in drugs.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 14, 2008 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:04 AM
I am a typical

It isn't even the Ontario Digest. It's the "Area Code 905 Digest".

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:19 AM
BANNED

The funny thing is no one has made any legitimate criticism or manage to prove them wrong. That would be because they are right.

Toronto may have more crime in raw numbers but with 5 million people one's chance of being a victim is less then in Regina. That is a statistical fact.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:35 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Who you know and what kind of circles you run in actually increases your chances of getting attacked/shot/stabbed/etc more than anything.

A nice guy living on Maryland St. in inner city Winnipeg with no gang ties has less of a chance getting thugged than some part-time high school dope dealer living in North Kildonan.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 12:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Who you know and what kind of circles you run in actually increases your chances of getting attacked/shot/stabbed/etc more than anything.

A nice guy living on Maryland St. in inner city Winnipeg with no gang ties has less of a chance getting thugged than some part-time high school dope dealer living in North Kildonan.
There is no denying that is a fact, but these stats don't say that isn't true. What they do say is that a pt hs dope dealer has a better chance of getting rolled in Winnipeg then Toronto, and a average citizen has more chance of being mugged in Regina then Vancouver.

Don't read more into then is there, and don't argue apples and oranges.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:04 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
There is no denying that is a fact, but these stats don't say that isn't true. What they do say is that a pt hs dope dealer has a better chance of getting rolled in Winnipeg then Toronto, and a average citizen has more chance of being mugged in Regina then Vancouver.

Don't read more into then is there, and don't argue apples and oranges.
What I think it's saying is that Winnipeg's and Regina's urban underclasses constitute a larger proportion of those cities' total populations than Toronto's urban underclass does. My impression is that there are (proportionately) far more gangland-style shooting deaths in Toronto, while the murders in Winnipeg tend to be knifings that occur when fights break out at drunken parties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan