HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
So then are we referring to the original residential/commercial development or the Skip The Dishes development with regards to putting the pin in it? The original "put a pin in it" comment was quite vague with regards to which situation it was in reference to.
Just the tech proposal on parcel four.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:25 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Yes
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:39 PM

Ya I thought that was pretty clear. It's been mentioned a few times pretty much all of Railside South is ready to go.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ya I thought that was pretty clear. It's been mentioned a few times pretty much all of Railside South is ready to go.
Yes, but as we all know, things can change on a whim without significant notice. Which is why I was looking for clarity

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:23 AM

Saunas at The Forks, design by 546 Architecture.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:38 PM

The Provincial government will announce today tax-increment financing for the Railside development at The Forks.

Quote:
Paul Jordan, chief executive officer of The Forks North Portage, said archeological work and site preparation is underway and expected to continue in the spring. He expected building construction to start in the summer with seven private developers in the mix to help create mixed-use facilities and public spaces, including schools and day-cares.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Dec 18, 2019 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Added press release, remove press release Biff posted below

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:45 PM
What could go wrong?

December 18, 2019 - Manitoba Government News Release

MANITOBA SUPPORTS RAILSIDE DEVELOPMENT PROJECT AT THE FORKS

The Manitoba government will invest up to $11.9 million through tax increment financing to support Phase 1 of the Railside development project, a mixed-use development that will complement and build on The Forks’ unique character and amenities, Economic Development and Training Minister Ralph Eichler announced today at The Forks.

“The Forks is one of Manitoba’s significant cultural and tourism amenities, and draws millions of visitors per year,” said Eichler. “The new Railside development will create an even more inviting atmosphere at The Forks that will encourage visitors to explore and discover.”

The proposed mixed-use development is based on very substantial public consultation and includes a number of unique residential buildings with approximately 339 residential units, main floor retail and services as well as public piazzas and park-like spaces among the buildings.

“This will contribute to the continued evolution – the last 14 acres – of The Forks site,” said Paul Jordan, CEO of The Forks North Portage. “Not only will the introduction of this new, mixed-use development be a noteworthy public space in North America, this is a step in fulfilling our mission statement and a step toward giving the community what it wants to see here, and that’s high-quality, accessible public spaces.”

This partnership with The Forks Renewal Corporation is expected to provide substantial economic benefits for Manitoba, the minister said. The provincial tax increment financing leverages significant private investment including an estimated $111 million in direct private-sector investment, $10.7 million in retail sales tax and expenditures of $12.6 million per year by commercial operations with annual residential rent revenue of $7.5 million.

The 5.7-acre Railside property (Phase 1) is owned by The Forks Renewal Corporation and has remained undeveloped since the initial reclamation of the Canadian National Railway East Yards in the 1980s. The Railside lands are in a critical location that links the Canadian Museum for Human Rights and The Forks to downtown Winnipeg. Eichler noted the Railside development aligns with Manitoba’s Economic Growth Action Plan by creating an inviting village atmosphere that draws people in and encourages them to explore and discover, as well as with the government’s mandate to increase tourism and economic growth in the province.

Tax increment financing (TIF) is a financing tool that governments use to encourage economic growth and development through incremental tax revenues created by significant new developments. In December 2018, the Manitoba government announced the TIF framework as part of its Economic Growth Action Plan focusing on economic growth, value for money and limiting risk, which will strengthen the use of TIF as a tool to support economic growth and benefit municipalities and communities across Manitoba. The TIF framework will also assist with the Manitoba Works goal of creating 40,000 private-sector jobs over the next four years.

For more information on the Railside development project, visit:
www.railsideattheforks.com.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:03 PM

Great! Let's get shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:12 PM

Let’s see designs!!!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 4:28 PM

Is there a way to search this thread and bring up posts with images only?

There have been numerous building designs, concepts at least, posted in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is there a way to search this thread and bring up posts with images only?

There have been numerous building designs, concepts at least, posted in this thread.
I’ve complied them here :

https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=108

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Thanks for doing that. I had them, but was lacking in the effort to post all of them. I'm a poor forumer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Thanks for doing that. I had them, but was lacking in the effort to post all of them. I'm a poor forumer.
You are going to have one rough forum performance review this year, mister.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:21 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

I like the boxcar alley thing. Do we know who owns the space below. I would believe it's CN. The property line is essentially the building edge, when looking from overhead.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Awesome! Thank you!

I like the boxcar alley thing. Do we know who owns the space below. I would believe it's CN. The property line is essentially the building edge, when looking from overhead.
It's shared space between CN and TFNP. Forks stores all their maintenance in the shops under there. CN is willing to relocate their storage to somewhere else on the site, my guess is Forks will just have to build a new space.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:16 PM

Is no one else upset the province handed $12 million to The Forks to make this happen by effectively foregoing the education levy on property taxes from this residential development? Then we will get people moving in complaining about how there is no funding for the schools...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Is no one else upset the province handed $12 million to The Forks to make this happen by effectively foregoing the education levy on property taxes from this residential development? Then we will get people moving in complaining about how there is no funding for the schools...
No funding for the schools? This city has among the highest education property tax rates in the country and our school divisions are among the most well funded. The school divisions out of control tax rates effectively crowd out the city's ability to raise their own property tax because the combined bill makes it look like Winnipeg has some of the highest property tax in the country when really it's the school divisions driving it, not the City.

The school divisions should learn to do with a little less. Forgone revenue of $12 million per year probably just means a few less catered lunches for some administrations.

I'm not usually one to beat the fiscal conservative drum, but holy crap our school division tax rates are high relative to everywhere else but no one ever complains about it - but the moment the city wants to raise tax to build more roads, BRT, or community centres, people freak out like you are about steal their first born child.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Isn't that being phased out anyway? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, no, I am not upset by this plan. IMO having commercial and residential properties there is much more valuable to The Forks, and the city as a whole, than having that space stay a surface parking lot.

I suppose some would suggest The Forks wait until they find someone willing to develop the space who also is willing to do it without the tax credits. Preferable, perhaps, but considering the scale of the project/ number and type of buildings, etc. I honestly don't know how realistic it is to wait for a sugar daddy to come along and drop a bundle at the Forks, or anywhere else in town in the near future. Again, IMO it is hugely important to the Forks and the city as a whole to have large, visible developments taking place.

And I agree some people will complain; complaining is what some people do best!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
No funding for the schools? This city has among the highest education property tax rates in the country and our school divisions are among the most well funded. The school divisions out of control tax rates effectively crowd out the city's ability to raise their own property tax because the combined bill makes it look like Winnipeg has some of the highest property tax in the country when really it's the school divisions driving it, not the City.

The school divisions should learn to do with a little less. Forgone revenue of $12 million per year probably just means a few less catered lunches for some administrations.

I'm not usually one to beat the fiscal conservative drum, but holy crap our school division tax rates are high relative to everywhere else but no one ever complains about it - but the moment the city wants to raise tax to build more roads, BRT, or community centres, people freak out like you are about steal their first born child.
It's not $12 mil per year. It's $12 mil total.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Isn't that being phased out anyway? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, no, I am not upset by this plan. IMO having commercial and residential properties there is much more valuable to The Forks, and the city as a whole, than having that space stay a surface parking lot.

I suppose some would suggest The Forks wait until they find someone willing to develop the space who also is willing to do it without the tax credits. Preferable, perhaps, but considering the scale of the project/ number and type of buildings, etc. I honestly don't know how realistic it is to wait for a sugar daddy to come along and drop a bundle at the Forks, or anywhere else in town in the near future. Again, IMO it is hugely important to the Forks and the city as a whole to have large, visible developments taking place.

And I agree some people will complain; complaining is what some people do best!
Pallister has said they will begin to phase it out after they balance the budget which they anticipate doing in a few years I believe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan