HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Not sure what you mean but Seattle plays on FieldTurf Revolution, the artificial surface that the majority of teams in the CFL use.
After TFC lost to the Sounders the first time, many of the players were quick to blame the quality of the field, which they said was due to the Argos also playing on it.

Seattle has the same issue, however, since the Sounders and Seahawks play in the same stadium. Yet AFAIK it's never been a point of contention there.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Seattle has the same issue, however, since the Sounders and Seahawks play in the same stadium. Yet AFAIK it's never been a point of contention there.
Why would it, as I said, it's artificial turf.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:20 AM

Speaking of Seattle how did the MLS cup go? I missed it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Speaking of Seattle how did the MLS cup go? I missed it.
Seattle won 3-1

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 11:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Last edited by Acajack; Nov 19, 2019 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:56 PM

Think it's safe to say Canadian tennis has arrived. What a year with Bianca winning a major and Shapo winning his first title. Now Canada finishes runner up to the home team in the Davis Cup.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:24 PM
ハルウララ

Figured i'd post this since USports is a big sticking point for a few people here:

HFX Wanderers snap up Montreal Carabins duo Kriem and Sissoko

"HFX Wanderers FC bolstered their midfield depth on Thursday with the singings of Omar Kreim and Aboubacar Sissoko, one of the top U SPORTS midfield pairings of the past few years

The midfield duo has been a central part of the powerhouse Montreal Carabins team that made it to the three consecutive U SPORTS championship finals.

They played more than 50 games together in four years, leading the Carabins to a Canadian University title in 2018.

Hart liked the look of Kreim in last year’s U SPORTS final — in which he was named MVP — after making the pass that led to the Carabins’ winning goal in extra time.

Sissoko is a player Hart also thinks can make a difference in the CPL following an exceptional campaign that resulted in him being named the U SPORTS player of the year.
"

https://canpl.ca/article/wanderers-s...im-and-sissoko

CPL clubs continue to snatch up USports talent via the draft and free agency signings. These are the first two CPL signings for 2020.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 12:20 AM
Go Chiefs!

Canada will have 2 drivers in F1 next season. Nicholas Latifi secures a seat with Williams for 2020.

He's another boy with a billionaire dad but hopefully he is slightly more talented than Lance Stroll. I don't want Canada to have the 2 worst drivers in F1.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 2:02 AM

I posted months ago that I thought Latifi would make it to F1. This was while he was leading the F2 championship. He tested for Williams and Racing Point, but I didn't want him to drive for either. RP would look too much like nepotism if two Canadian drivers are on the team and Williams is worst team of them all by a country mile. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Regardless, this is fun having two Canadians in F1.

At first I wanna say Stroll isn't the worst driver in F1, but these days you don't have sponsored drivers/back markers making up the back of the field. Every driver is pretty much worthy. Stroll is better than any of those guys mentioned and did win the F3 championship. And he does have a podium in F1, which some drivers cannot claim.

The problem, which is not really a problem, is that he's too nice and doesn't have that edge to him. Not the right personality to make it to the next level and compete for championships unless he gets lucky like Damon Hill or Jenson Button or Rosberg with the far superior car. Guys like Lewis and Schumi and Senna and JV have that killer instinct. Prost was cold and calculating. Then you got guys who are absolute dicks from time to time like Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen, etc. Stroll is too much like Barrichello and Fisichella or Massa. The nice guy. But hope he really gets lucky and gets a #2 seat for a team that eventually develops the best car and catches some breaks and can win a championship. Or his daddy hires the best engineers and RP becomes the best team and his teammate Sergio Perez leaves just before this happens since he has been clearly outshining Lance.

Let's hope Latifi impresses with Williams and then he can land a seat at a competitive team.

On a related note, I was racing those fantastic euro karts for fun at Tremblant in May and saw the cool pic on the wall of Lance as a youthful go karter posing with Lewis.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 3:43 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I posted months ago that I thought Latifi would make it to F1. This was while he was leading the F2 championship. He tested for Williams and Racing Point, but I didn't want him to drive for either. RP would look too much like nepotism if two Canadian drivers are on the team and Williams is worst team of them all by a country mile. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Regardless, this is fun having two Canadians in F1.

At first I wanna say Stroll isn't the worst driver in F1, but these days you don't have sponsored drivers/back markers making up the back of the field. Every driver is pretty much worthy. Stroll is better than any of those guys mentioned and did win the F3 championship. And he does have a podium in F1, which some drivers cannot claim.

The problem, which is not really a problem, is that he's too nice and doesn't have that edge to him. Not the right personality to make it to the next level and compete for championships unless he gets lucky like Damon Hill or Jenson Button or Rosberg with the far superior car. Guys like Lewis and Schumi and Senna and JV have that killer instinct. Prost was cold and calculating. Then you got guys who are absolute dicks from time to time like Alonso, Vettel, Verstappen, etc. Stroll is too much like Barrichello and Fisichella or Massa. The nice guy. But hope he really gets lucky and gets a #2 seat for a team that eventually develops the best car and catches some breaks and can win a championship. Or his daddy hires the best engineers and RP becomes the best team and his teammate Sergio Perez leaves just before this happens since he has been clearly outshining Lance.

Let's hope Latifi impresses with Williams and then he can land a seat at a competitive team.

On a related note, I was racing those fantastic euro karts for fun at Tremblant in May and saw the cool pic on the wall of Lance as a youthful go karter posing with Lewis.
Pretty much spot on. Only in my opinion, Stroll is nowhere near as good as Barrichello or Massa. Maybe a poor man Fisichella.

Perez has more than twice the points and has out-qualified Stroll every race except 1 I think. If it wasn't for his 4th place in Germany, he would be right with the Williams.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 5:47 AM

Montréal will have 2 F1 driver next year. Latifi has been promoted, with Williams.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Montréal will have 2 F1 driver next year. Latifi has been promoted, with Williams.
Yes, this is what we've just been discussing. And he was born in Montreal but raised in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 1:24 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
He's another boy with a billionaire dad but hopefully he is slightly more talented than Lance Stroll.
Narrator: He isn't.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:40 AM

Finally got my Raps ring in the mail to go along with the other local teams to complete the "TO Collection". LOL at the Leafs ring. Shows you how long it's been. Okay this one is from 1942 and I have a more "recent" one but it is still dwarfed by the others.

Everyone who went to the season opener got a Raps replica ring. People didn't know this until the day of. Then word got out they were on sale for 20 bucks from Real Sports website. They quickly sold out before the night was over, but RS and Baron, the ring maker, both said they'll be re-producing more for sale in the coming weeks. Then couple weeks later they said ya that's not gonna happen anymore. So... had to order the knockoff from China for 12 bucks. The 640 "diamonds" don't show too well in artificial light.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:14 PM

That's definitely an old Leafs ring. I've never heard the Stanley Cup Champions refer to themselves as World Champions.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
That's definitely an old Leafs ring. I've never heard the Stanley Cup Champions refer to themselves as World Champions.
Hadn't actually thought about that. We're used to Americans using the term and in more recent times. Turns out it's an old phenomenon and Canadian too!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 11:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Finally got my Raps ring in the mail to go along with the other local teams to complete the "TO Collection". LOL at the Leafs ring. Shows you how long it's been. Okay this one is from 1942 and I have a more "recent" one but it is still dwarfed by the others.

Everyone who went to the season opener got a Raps replica ring. People didn't know this until the day of. Then word got out they were on sale for 20 bucks from Real Sports website. They quickly sold out before the night was over, but RS and Baron, the ring maker, both said they'll be re-producing more for sale in the coming weeks. Then couple weeks later they said ya that's not gonna happen anymore. So... had to order the knockoff from China for 12 bucks. The 640 "diamonds" don't show too well in artificial light.

Nice collection!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:11 AM

Thanks. Got about 15 now for local teams plus Team Canada and a few college rings. Between $5 and $17. Basically a conversation starter when people walk in and see them lined up on the book shelf.

Three of us at work ordered the Raps ring and we're gonna have a contest who can wear it the longest at work before our finger turns green or we develop carpal tunnel syndrome from the weight of the damn thing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:59 AM

^ I didn't know you could buy replicas that cheap... I guess I know what I'll be doing when the Bombers unveil their Grey Cup championship rings

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 11:44 AM

I ordered a Green Bay replica ring for my daughter after their last win. It was one of those Facebook ads, and I think it was around 30 bucks. It took so long I almost forgot about it, then I remembered it and submitted a credit card chargeback, which I got. And then the ring showed up several weeks after that, with no reversal on my credit card lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada