HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I kinda thought that but bringing up the NFL is kind of ridiculous and an over exaggeration...
I wasn't serious about NFL, I was specifically using it as an over-exaggeration to point out how ridiculous the thinking of some is (such as Don Cherry?)

If anyone can make a convincing argument why a NHL team could work in Saskatoon I'd like to hear it, but please base it on something tangible and not just "the power of positive thinking". I don't want to hear "our arena holds the same amount as Wpg's"... and I DEFINITELY don't want to hear "if Winnipeg can do it so can we". We all saw how difficult it was for Winnipeg to get a franchise again, and it took over decade of TNSE putting in place all the elements for a succesful business model, and even then, at almost 3x the market size as Saskatoon, Winnipeg is still criticized as being too small a market (which I obviously disagree with, based on season ticket sales).

I have no doubt we have passion for NHL and per capita would be able to show atleast as much support financially as any other fan, but I don't think it could even come close to enough volume for NHL success.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 7:14 PM

As a Jets fan I really wish that Saskatoon could have an NHL franchise, the rivalry would be great. But Saskatoon's population would need to at least double in order to be taken seriously by today's NHL. Saskatoon is soon to experience tremendous growth... but this is still far off.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Saskatoon is soon to experience tremendous growth... but this is still far off.
Saskatoon was the 3rd fastest growing metropolitan area in Canada (after Calgary and Edmonton) between 2006 and 2011 so its already experiencing tremendous growth. If Saskatoon can maintain this type of growth for another 20 years, they'd surely get a CFL team.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 4:04 PM

Let's change this thread name to Saskatoon NHL team...that has more legs then a CFL team and is more relevant right now. Don Cherry just this Saturday an coaches corner came out again in support of a team in Saskatchewan (Saskatoon). Commented that season tickets would not be a problem and also complimented CUC arena (not sure about that one!). Anyway...far more chatter about this, so lets change the thread?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 6:35 PM

Don cherrys ideal place for a team. Saskatoon has a metro population of 260,000 ppl, 80km more and theres 400,000. Then your good to go. This guy is taking this way to far and he should just stop now.

This reminds me of Hamilton tyring to get a nhl team. Get all the media hyped up, say you have everything in plc and throw a whole bunch of cash at it and look where that got them. NHl gets these deals done behind closed doors, we didnt even here about winnipeg getting it till like a week before. The thought ofStoons NHL team won't happen for atleast 25years.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:37 PM

Just to add more fuel to this little fire, ESPN sport analyst (and former LA Kings coach) has also just backed an NHL franchise for Saskatoon. He acknowledged the small population base but added that "typical measurements and economic arguments don't apply in a province like Saskatchewan as it "is hockey" ".

To be fair, On Ice Management (the suspected ownership group), has not responded to the rumours. Their comment has been "we do not comment on speculation ... nor would it be appropriate or professional for us to do so at this time. If and when we have a comment, it will be at the conclusion of any business dealings". Sounds like they are keeping negotiations behind closed doors, so like Winnipeg, there may not be any announcement until this baby is a done deal!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Just to add more fuel to this little fire, ESPN sport analyst (and former LA Kings coach) has also just backed an NHL franchise for Saskatoon. He acknowledged the small population base but added that "typical measurements and economic arguments don't apply in a province like Saskatchewan as it "is hockey" ".

To be fair, On Ice Management (the suspected ownership group), has not responded to the rumours. Their comment has been "we do not comment on speculation ... nor would it be appropriate or professional for us to do so at this time. If and when we have a comment, it will be at the conclusion of any business dealings". Sounds like they are keeping negotiations behind closed doors, so like Winnipeg, there may not be any announcement until this baby is a done deal!
I really hope this happens, as it'll be a great rivalry with my Jets. But my advice to all of you in Saskatchewan: Don't get your hopes up. The NHL has blocked moves to Saskatchewan before, who's to say they won't do it again. Plus think about the effect of splitting the corporate support with the Riders.

Now to the question. Team name? (for both CFL and NHL)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Now to the question. Team name? (for both CFL and NHL)
Only one choice - ROUGHRIDERS!!!! - for both NHL & CFL. Can't help but think of the comedy skit. Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQdRo51wQg

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan