HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Dubai City Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 3:22 PM
BANNED

If it is George Lucas design for another STARWARS episode... or something alike, for good sakes I want to see the film right now. But srsly.... people again... another Babel Tower?, dont you remember the Japan 4km? Another never-built cancelled proposal for Emporis and then another empty bldg page here without diagram, it's a pity cause the design is tremendous...
Maybe in another planet, galaxy or nebulosa, cause this Earth is already very poor economically or technologically far behind to do that. Really ingenuous those believers. Ok, maybe some merchandising billboard in Dubai attracting investors... like the world, the palms and so on never finished.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 9:46 PM
Teutonic Barbar

Who made those renderings, anyway?
A governmentals organization, such as Nakheel?

Architecture is the prosecution of nature in its constructional work. - Friedrich Schinkel

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
Bosston

I would visit Dubai for sure if they built this. Someday they will build that high think.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Who made those renderings, anyway?
A governmentals organization, such as Nakheel?
Those renderings came off the Evolo website. They conduct yearly skyscraper competitions. This particular project won. Thats all I know.And it is not a Nakheel project.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 7:51 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

If something this tall gets built, it won't be in Dubai. Dubai, I believe, is going to get all it's glitzy towers built, run out of oil, and crash and burn. I think it will be built in Africa somewhere, because Africa is going to be the next middle east/southeast Asia in say, twenty years or so, and by then I'm sure we will easily have the technology to build this tall and this visionary and still not get too expensive. I think Nairobi or Lagos could build it in time. And if not Africa, then India could sure use a hypertall or ten.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
I believe, is going to get all it's glitzy towers built, run out of oil, and crash and burn.
and for some reason people don't get that, There is no demand for dubia so where are the tenants coming from??? how are they going to get there money when oil runs out??? and its running out fast.
Bet you dubia lovers never thought about that

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think it will be built in Africa somewhere, because Africa is going to be the next middle east/southeast Asia in say, twenty years or so, and by then I'm sure we will easily have the technology to build this tall and this visionary and still not get too expensive. I think Nairobi or Lagos could build it in time. And if not Africa, then India could sure use a hypertall or ten.
ummm... I don't know about that

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 7:03 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Actually, the Middle East powerholders and presidents have already thought about that. What if the oil runs out? Create the biggest, fastest growing touring destination on earth.

Tenants aren't there because of the oil, they're there because of the cheap leasing space. And those apartments are being sold. To a lot of people from the Middle East, Southeast Asia, America and Europe.

Don't blame the oil for Dubai being such a nice city. Well, yes, blame it. Because when people found out it was going to run out they began building hotels and attractions.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
how are they going to get there money when oil runs out??? and its running out fast.
Much sooner than everyone thinks; in 2010, actually, the oil reserves there will be considered "exhausted".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Actually, the Middle East powerholders and presidents have already thought about that. What if the oil runs out? Create the biggest, fastest growing touring destination on earth.
Even bigger than Orlando?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 6:56 PM

Quote:
If something this tall gets built, it won't be in Dubai. Dubai, I believe, is going to get all it's glitzy towers built, run out of oil, and crash and burn. I think it will be built in Africa somewhere, because Africa is going to be the next middle east/southeast Asia in say, twenty years or so, and by then I'm sure we will easily have the technology to build this tall and this visionary and still not get too expensive. I think Nairobi or Lagos could build it in time. And if not Africa, then India could sure use a hypertall or ten.
Dude your looking for at least 50 years before Africa begins to be developped. Half of the continent is in war and cant even substain its own people with food and water , but there are some countries right now in africa that are developping such as: South Africa, Botswana, Senegal, Egypt. I agree on the fact that Africa will be develloped very soon.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 1:49 AM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post

Tenants aren't there because of the oil, they're there because of the cheap leasing space. And those apartments are being sold. To a lot of people from the Middle East, Southeast Asia, America and Europe.

Don't blame the oil for Dubai being such a nice city. Well, yes, blame it. Because when people found out it was going to run out they began building hotels and attractions.

Couldent agree more this is a very very good way to spend the oil before it is all gone and Dubai and United Arab Emirates as a hole is focusing not just on tourism but trade and business alot too the jebel ali port one of the largest artificial harbours in the world was put up as early as the 1970s

and as some of u might know Norway also got a huge oil wealth of presumably 4000 billion wich to my big horror we actually are just sitting on and looking stupid when we really should be up there competing whit Dubai in being one of the greatest tourist destinations not just whit nature but with buildings too.

Because in norway when the oil runs out wich it will do very soon like in Dubai a very big chunk of our economy will just go away. And unlike Dubai we got no tourism or industy so big that it can keep up with that income. And half of the population in the country is over retirement age and dont work neither.

And if we then finnaly wake up the remains of the oil money will probably run out while we are trying to fix the most crucial things as infrastructure and long before we even hawe gotten a real alternative to oil economy going.

so i think that the way Dubai is doing it is very wise

and no i dont like being a Norwegian im quite emberrased by it

zry for the long article just wanted to make a point

and the superscraper looks insanely cool definitly seems like we are heading for a coursant like city skyline in the near future.

And all this hype around being the first to build over 1000 meters or the mile high 1,6 kilometers will probably make such amazing buildings as this reality in the not too distant future

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:28 PM
▓▒░

Hate to bump this for nothing, but this design reminds me of The Bank from Ocean's 13.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Elf View Post
And if we then finnaly wake up the remains of the oil money will probably run out while we are trying to fix the most crucial things as infrastructure and long before we even hawe gotten a real alternative to oil economy going.
in the not too distant future
Just don't worry. When your oil runs out, you'll just have to join the EU like every other country that is in need of money...´

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 12:06 AM

being that high up, wouldnt it ice over really easily

Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:40 PM

Talking

I think Dubai should be referred to as a city on steroids. Its good for them, but in the long run a lot buildings are going to end up slumped. Not a single building follows a "green efficient" code. I could be wrong, but climate change is amongst us and high rises have a large carbon footprint you know.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 8:41 PM

dubai's bankrupt. but there's no stopping them to propose it. It will probably build then they will cancel it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGreatOne View Post
I cannot imagine this building becomming a reality for a few reasons, most of which would present insurmountable engineering obstacles:

I I believe that a building of such height--2380 metres-- would generate so much pressure on the bottom floors, framework and internal structure that the building would collapse long before reaching that height.

II Any supertall sways in the wind. They are designed this way to in order to accommodate the pressures of wind. At such a height, however, there are two problems: the potential for some seriously strong winds and the amount that a building sways is a function of its height. These two factors could cause the top of the tower to sway, perhaps as much as tens of metres during a particularly strong gale.

III Have there been any studies to measure the effects of the human body on frequent changes in air pressure. At that height, the air pressure is only about 72 percent of that at sea level. True, people do live at such altitudes. However, frequent exposure to sea level and high-level atmospheric pressures may possibly be a concern.

IV Of course, there are more mundane concerns. A tower of such height could become a terrorist target. Imagine the number of lives lost because some terrorist organisation has no respect for the dignity of human life.
It's a bit rude to say that.
Maybe nowaday building that tower is not realistic, but who know what the future will bring?There must be ways.

Web Development

Last edited by hippocampus; Oct 20, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: sp

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 1:33 AM

I love how Dubai knows they are bankrupt but they keep on building....pretty if you ask me

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects