HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page:

So, the holiday pop-up store for Lush will be in the park in front of city hall.

I wish them well, but I find this an odd location. If Lush were really attempting to test the Moncton market prior to opening a full service permanent location, I feel strongly that they should have opened a kiosk at CF Champlain instead. Their permanent store locations are almost always mall based (with some high street locations in larger cities), so I don't think a mobile location in a park in December in Moncton will give a fair appraisal of the strength of the Moncton market.

I am pretty sure a mall based pop-up would generate more traffic than a trailer in a park in front of city hall..........

I feel like there was probably no room for them to set up in CF Champlain. So maybe that's why they chose to set up in front of city hall? I agree with it being an odd location. But hopefully people will give it a lot of support, so they decide to open a permanent location.

Here is an example of what the pop-up will most likely look like: https://youtu.be/-0B2Ro_XFv8

Also, one of the city councillors (Greg Turner) confirmed that the pop up will be 1,200sq.ft in size and will be open Monday-Saturday: 11am-8pm and Sunday: 12pm-5pm.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
From Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page:

So, the holiday pop-up store for Lush will be in the park in front of city hall.

I wish them well, but I find this an odd location. If Lush were really attempting to test the Moncton market prior to opening a full service permanent location, I feel strongly that they should have opened a kiosk at CF Champlain instead. Their permanent store locations are almost always mall based (with some high street locations in larger cities), so I don't think a mobile location in a park in December in Moncton will give a fair appraisal of the strength of the Moncton market.

I am pretty sure a mall based pop-up would generate more traffic than a trailer in a park in front of city hall..........
From what I heard, they 100% wanted to be downtown...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:37 PM

some more info on the Lush pop up store in today's T&T
Lush pop-up shop confirmed for city hall lawn
Quote:
The Canadian cosmetics, body and bath products retailer will set up a 30-foot by 40-foot tent-style structure on the lawn at the corner of Botsford and Main Streets and be ready for business by Dec. 4, and run until Christmas Eve.
Also mentioned that it will be Lush's first-ever pop-up store in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonBoy View Post
From what I heard, they 100% wanted to be downtown...
In the T&T today, these two points were noted:

1) - This Lush pop-up is very much a test to determine if a full fledged store can be supported. Moncton has been identified as a potential market by Lush.
2) - The city was motivated to support this pop-up on the plaza in front of city hall because "they were excited about having the possibility of a permanent Lush store in the downtown area".

So, this probably explains why the pop-up is downtown rather than in any of the retail districts. Lush is apparently thinking of opening a permanent location in the downtown core instead, perhaps on Main Street.

One wonders about a portion of the recently refurbished former BDC space fronting Main Street at the base of the Delta Hotel as a possible location............

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 20, 2019 at 8:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This Huddle article indicates that Lush may in fact be thinking of opening a Moncton location in 2020/21.

https://huddle.today/lush-cosmetics-...-pop-up-store/

Another thought regarding a downtown location would be in the Hyatt Place Hotel. It's opening next June, will have space for ground floor retail, and will have a high profile location across the street from the Avenir Centre. There will also be a "signature" national chain restaurant off the lobby of the hotel, and all these factors would certainly help to drive traffic. There is also a reasonable amount of free two hour parking on Canada Street.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:09 AM

Aéropostale and Bluenotes are teaming up for a collaboration which will see "shop in shop" stores at select 75 Bluenotes locations on Nov.28th.

Here in NB: only the Dieppe (CF Champlain) and Saint John (McAllister Place) locations are going to have this "shop in shop". Source: https://blnts.com/pages/aeropostale-stores

Also, Aéropostale has future plans of an expansion of 20-30 freestanding new concept Aéropostale stores here in Canada (from the East to West Coast) in 2020!

Last edited by DyAm00394; Nov 22, 2019 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's a job advert out on indeed.com for the new Starbuck's on Granite Drive.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Retail&...3177f1bc50b8d4

Opening soon I guess.........

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:36 AM

Interesting the Aeropostale and Bluenotes partnership. I'm guessing YM, Bluenotes parent company, is licensing the Aeropostale name in Canada. It's only been a few years since the chain closed all of their Canadian stores as part of their bankruptcy.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Interesting the Aeropostale and Bluenotes partnership. I'm guessing YM, Bluenotes parent company, is licensing the Aeropostale name in Canada. It's only been a few years since the chain closed all of their Canadian stores as part of their bankruptcy.

You are correct. They are now the "exclusive license partner" of Aéropostale here in Canada.

https://blnts.com/pages/aeropostale-x-bluenotes-faq

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 3:08 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Rumour has it that GNC in the Champlain Mall will be closing at the end of the year. A new business is already in line for its spot but no announcement of the name of said business yet

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 4:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

An online article from earlier this year indicated that GNC would close up to 900 stores in the USA and Canada as leases expire.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gnc-...-stores-2019-7

Apparently a number of stores are closing in the next few months in both NB and NS, with a particular focus on mall based stores, including the CF Champlain location. High rents are a definite issue.

It appears that Cadillac Fairview was aware that GNC's exit at lease termination was coming, and have been planning accordingly. There is apparently a new tenant ready to move in early next year. The rumour is that it will be a food court type business (not surprising given where GNC is located in the mall), and may be a relocation of another business within the mall (maybe Starbucks, maybe Pretzelmaker/Mrs. Fields).

If Pretzelmaker, this means that all of the CRUs facing the Sobeys store in the mall will be vacant (except Cuts 2000). An opportunity for redevelopment perhaps???

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 2:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further indications of a shuffle of retailers at CF Champlain after Christmas. A source has advised me that Jump+ will be moving to a new location in the mall before next summer. For what its worth, I had been previously aware that Jump+ had been interested in finding a slightly larger location for their store.

I am aware of which unit in the mall Jump+ may move to, but since this is considered privileged information, I cannot reveal it at present.

There are always store closings and relocations after the holiday season. It will be interesting to see what else transpires..........

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 3:30 PM

How is the vacancy at Champlain? CF has a mall here in London and I am constantly amazed at how they manage to fill space when something leaves. This mall had a Target and a Sears and redeveloped and filled the space in a very short time. Now they are going to have to deal with a large 2 level Forever 21 store, but I have no doubt they will have it filled within months, if they don't already have somebody lined up.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
How is the vacancy at Champlain? CF has a mall here in London and I am constantly amazed at how they manage to fill space when something leaves. This mall had a Target and a Sears and redeveloped and filled the space in a very short time. Now they are going to have to deal with a large 2 level Forever 21 store, but I have no doubt they will have it filled within months, if they don't already have somebody lined up.
CF Champlain has an occupancy exceeding 95%. There used to be a waiting list of stores wanting into Champlain Place and, while this is no longer true since the retail apocalypse, as a general rule storefronts don't remain empty for long. We lost a Sears two years ago too, but it was replaced with a TD Bank corporate banking centre. At full roll out (next year I believe), there will be 1,100 well paid banking employees in the centre. I want to stress this is not simply a call centre. Half the employees will be CPAs, and the centre is responsible for corporate accounting services for North America. This pool of "captive" employees within the mall has resulted in a stable customer base for mall based retailers, and especially the food court and coffee shops.

Otherwise, anchors include Sobeys, WalMart, H&M, Toys R Us, Sports Chek, Urban Planet, Bass Pro Shops, Cineplex and Chapters. Higher end retailers include Roots, lululemon, Pandora, Fossil, Victoria's Secret, Swarovski, Sephora, Ernest, Eddie Bauer, Jump+ etc.

The mall continues to do well. All three big NB cities have one main mall. CF Champlain here in Moncton/Dieppe, Regent in Fredericton and McAllister Place in Saint John.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:

An online article from earlier this year indicated that GNC would close up to 900 stores in the USA and Canada as leases expire.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gnc-...-stores-2019-7

Apparently a number of stores are closing in the next few months in both NB and NS, with a particular focus on mall based stores, including the CF Champlain location. High rents are a definite issue.

It appears that Cadillac Fairview was aware that GNC's exit at lease termination was coming, and have been planning accordingly. There is apparently a new tenant ready to move in early next year. The rumour is that it will be a food court type business (not surprising given where GNC is located in the mall), and may be a relocation of another business within the mall (maybe Starbucks, maybe Pretzelmaker/Mrs. Fields).

If Pretzelmaker, this means that all of the CRUs facing the Sobeys store in the mall will be vacant (except Cuts 2000). An opportunity for redevelopment perhaps???
The CRUs facing Sobeys haven't had the best track record in the past. It would be great to see them try something different in this area. What that would be I don't know. But some type of redevelopment as you suggest, would be nice to see.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 6:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CF Champlain should really try to recruit something iconic for this part of the mall - something that can stand on it's own and serve as a traffic generator.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:33 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
CF Champlain should really try to recruit something iconic for this part of the mall - something that can stand on it's own and serve as a traffic generator.
Yes, because having Sobey's at that end of the mall isn't really driving people at that location. People think well Sobey's is down that way......so I'll go a different way. Having a grocery store at that end of the mall is a real crowd killer.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Yes, because having Sobey's at that end of the mall isn't really driving people at that location. People think well Sobey's is down that way......so I'll go a different way. Having a grocery store at that end of the mall is a real crowd killer.
I don't think a grocery store is really a mall traffic generator anyway. People go to a grocery store and then leave because a bunch of the stuff needs to get in a fridge or freezer. And not many people are going to wander a mall and say "oh I think I will go buy some milk now".

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:07 AM

Quote:
I don't think a grocery store is really a mall traffic generator anyway. People go to a grocery store and then leave because a bunch of the stuff needs to get in a fridge or freezer. And not many people are going to wander a mall and say "oh I think I will go buy some milk now".
Who knows if any of the businesses opposite Sobeys that failed would have had more success had they been in a better location. But being down at that end of the mall didn't help. The question is, what would succeed down there?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 12:24 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Exactly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces