HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 11:38 PM

It would ruin the endless water effect you get in the Schedd while watching the dolphin show. Other than that, me likee.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:21 AM
BANNED

Build this Junk in dubai not chicago.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:21 AM

I look at these drawings and say wish we could! But we aren't the kind of city that we use to be when stuff like Grant Park and Lincoln Park were created by visionaries with civic pride and a desire to create something for the city for the future generations to enjoy. Millinium Park will probably be the highlight of this generation.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:34 AM
The City

^ More like visionaries with legions of dirt cheap laborors at their disposal..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 2:47 PM

my good friend works for a spanish company that does wind farms all over the world. He sent me some pictures he took in SD, and they're pretty great. Try to imagine turbines approximately this size all in a curving row. At the same time it is amazing, it will also change things so much. I've said this a couple times now: change could be good, but I'm happy with what we already have. but here are two of the pictures he sent me

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 6:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

Chicago has the Dubai syndrome BIGTIME!!!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 12:24 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Anyone who says that needs a history lesson.

1. Modeled after the original Burnham plan (1909)

2. Is not filled with 10,000 multi-million dollar vacation homes.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 12:43 PM

^^^ ??
The curving breakwater........all you have to do is open your eyes and be
less antagonistic.

The 1909 Burnham Plan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 1:43 PM

also...

"The bridge, a 21st century update of a comparable breakwater scheme
in Daniel Burnham's celebrated 1909 Plan of Chicago."

"The breakwater would form a grand civic space and a harbor
stretching from Adler Planetarium on the south
to East Wacker Drive to the north."

"You could walk on it, jog on it, maybe even ride your bike on it."

Blair Kamin
Chicago Tribune architecture critic

Looks like you should enroll in that history class you mentioned Alliance.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:33 PM

I think the tower looks a little like the earliest type of Aneros (look it up, unless your under 18).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:57 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
also...

"The bridge, a 21st century update of a comparable breakwater scheme
in Daniel Burnham's celebrated 1909 Plan of Chicago."

"The breakwater would form a grand civic space and a harbor
stretching from Adler Planetarium on the south
to East Wacker Drive to the north."

"You could walk on it, jog on it, maybe even ride your bike on it."

Blair Kamin
Chicago Tribune architecture critic

Looks like you should enroll in that history class you mentioned Alliance.
If you were less antagonistic, you'd realize that I said that this was simply a reincarnation of the original Chicago plan and not something built for a tourist trap, therefore, not a product of "Dubai Syndrome."

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:46 PM
Windy City Dan

Maybe Dubai has Chicago Syndrome? Regardless, this will (hopefully) never get built.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:46 PM
BANNED

^^^ That is more accurate. Chicago was the original Dubai. much of downtown is actually built on fill where the lake used to be, in some places the shoreline has moved more than a mile...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Maybe Dubai has Chicago Syndrome? Regardless, this will (hopefully) never get built.
That's an accurate statement. . . regardless I like this proposal. . .

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 6:17 PM

I like this proposal too. I think it will add to the character of the area and it will be nice to have the large harbor there. I am still not sure about the wind turbines but I love the idea of the bridge across the harbor. It would get much use from tourist and also attract locals as a great place to run, walk, or jog. I think it would greatly benefit the city!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 6:47 PM

I misunderstood Alliance. I apologize.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 4:10 AM

Hmmm I love the concept of the gigantic harbor, but the wind turbines? Honestly I think the "green" feel of this will be very dated much too soon... in 30 years these bird choppers will have to be taken down due to them being not only ugly, but also obsolete. Wind is certainly never going to power this city. Its very short sighted to think that, and not really a good symbol for Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Hmmm I love the concept of the gigantic harbor, but the wind turbines? Honestly I think the "green" feel of this will be very dated much too soon... in 30 years these bird choppers will have to be taken down due to them being not only ugly, but also obsolete. Wind is certainly never going to power this city. Its very short sighted to think that, and not really a good symbol for Chicago.
we are part of the wind corridor
this part of the country has higher average wind velocities than anywhere else on shore in the country.

putting turbines on the top of towers is more economical, but saying this city cannot get a large quantity of it's future power from it's wind resources is just wrong.

In fact it is a long term solution, and our coal and oil addiction is actually the short sighted solution. A turbine is an investment, fossil fuels are a payday advance.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
hopefully it will

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 4:40 AM

Not sure if this article was ever posted on here before. I didnt see it and I just came across it online so I am going to post it.

Chicago is taking its status as one of the Top 10 Greenest Cities in the U.S. very seriously. While other parts of the country are recovering from the havoc wreaked on their poor infrastructures due to floods, hurricanes and collapsing bridges, The Windy City is looking toward the future with plans to develop one of the premier Eco-landmarks of the new millennium.

The proposed project, still in the planning phase, is a two-mile expanse of bridge that will extend in an arch from Adler Planetarium on the south to East Wacker Drive on the north. The bridge will create a breakwater in the Monroe harbor and provide a civic space for recreational activities, including running and biking, as well as additional protected area for boating and water sports.

Interestingly, the plan is a modern, updated version of the original breakwater proposed in the 1909 city plan of Chicago. The current plan features the construction of wind turbines to line the bridge and create and alternate source of power for the city. The actual breakwater itself will be built on a foundation of slag—a permeable byproduct of steel which will provide a habitat for aquatic wildlife in the lake.

Some critics insist that the project is way over the top. With the $1 billion price tag, and the futuristic high-end design, they feel that it is less about the environment, and more about the city’s 2016 bid to host the Olympics.

There’s no doubt that the project would draw attention to Chicago as a highly desirable tourist destination, which doesn’t necessarily work against eco-initiatives. The bridge’s design is a product of the Chicago based, and world-renowned design firm AS+GG. Adrian Smith, the project’s lead designer was also the lead designer of Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, and the Burj Dubai which holds the record as the world’s tallest building. The eco-bridge isn’t just a “home improvement” project for Chicago—it’s a world class structure designed to capture the attention of the world.

The bridge project is not an arbitrary concept that is meant to green wash the city. Chicago has already taken the eco-revolution upon itself in the past decade, with such initiatives as the Green Roof Project, the Green Alley Project, and other steps toward eco-friendly municipal practices that are revolutionary to say the least. For example, since 1989, over 500,000 trees have been planted in Chicago; and the building which houses the Center for Green Technology is one of the only municipal buildings in the world to have received a platinum rating for its green design and operation.

Mayor Richard Daly and his staff make no secret about their plans to define Chicago as the premier city for eco-conscious living in the U.S. Despite its industrial past, the city’s administration and green organizations are on a massive educational campaign that seems to be having just the desired effect. More and more Chicagoans are jumping in the bandwagon, and the city has seen itself transform in leaps and bounds in just a few short years.

Regardless of how beneficial the bridge project advocates claim it is, there is still the tiny little problem of the necessary funding to get the thing underway. Raising $1 billion dollars for a shiny new bridge during a war and a recession may not be the easiest thing to do, and then there is the issue of meeting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers who have a say in shoreline redevelopment. There are some obstacles to overcome, but in a social and political environment when many people in this country are still not convinced that there is a need for environmental initiatives of any kind, Chicago will go down in history as one of the leaders who led our country to change during this period of environmental revolution. That in and of itself should be enough to attract forward thinking investors and supporters. After all, who doesn’t want to go down as having supported the winning team from the very beginning?

http://ecoble.com/2008/06/18/chicago...to-the-future/

Dated June 18, 2008

Last edited by Chicagoguy; Sep 2, 2008 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Forgot the date

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects