HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

New York Stock Exchange Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 8:51 PM

PHILADELPHIA | 2112 Walnut Street | 173 FT | 13 FLOORS

Title: 2112 Walnut Street
Project: Residential and ground floor commercial/retail
Architect: CBP Architects
Developer: Astoban Investments
District: Center City
Neighborhood: Rittenhouse Square
Floors: 13
Height: 173 Ft

An Even Bigger Addition Pitched Next to Modern Rittenhouse Overbuild

Quote:
Today, however, we head next door to 2112 Walnut St., where the western neighbor of this adaptive reuse has similar plans ahead.

Thanks to a submission to the Historical Commission, we know now that there are plans for a similar overbuild here as well. The design this time calls for an even taller addition, this one rising 170′ over 12 stories, which will house 10 condo units. So how would this design from CBP Architects (the new name for Cecil Baker + Partners) feel at street level?

Along with the many setbacks and outdoor spaces for the residents, 13 underground parking spaces will be accessible from Chancellor St. to the south. The Walnut Street facade – to contain ground-floor retail space – would remain intact, though basically all of the interiors would be demolished to make room for the tower.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...use-overbuild/

Last edited by summersm343; Aug 22, 2023 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 8:54 PM

Historical Commission Submission:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20230815...-Walnut-St.pdf

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 9:24 PM

A 13-story luxury condo tower planned for Walnut Street would build upon a historical brownstone

Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230822.html

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 1:30 PM

Is Unit 3 for people that don't want to skip leg day? Or am I misunderstanding the elevation plan because that looks like a standalone section that encompasses 5 separate floors?!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
A 13-story luxury condo tower planned for Walnut Street would build upon a historical brownstone

Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230822.html
can we stop doing this? this is a horrible trend that needs to stop.
plenty of empty lots to build on. let's fill those out and leave the historical brownstones alone.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
plenty of empty lots to build on. let's fill those out and leave the historical brownstones alone.
Agreed. Hopefully, the HC commission will cut a few floors off of the top or high interest rates postpone it indefinitely

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Completely agree. I'm very, very pro development generally but even I can't stomach this. Philly is great because of our history, not in spite of it. If we had no developable land left, I can see a case where this makes sense. This just isn't it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 4:40 AM

Updated Historical Commission submission
PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20230919...-Sept-2023.pdf

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 5:03 PM

I...don't really understand what's so bad about this haha. The facade and feel of the streetscape stays the same, and I mean it's not like we're adding dozens of new housing units or anything but it's still more than there was before. Are people just unhappy about gutting an old rowhouse that 99.999999% of people are never gonna see inside anyway?

I'm probably missing something.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badthingshappen View Post
I...don't really understand what's so bad about this haha. The facade and feel of the streetscape stays the same, and I mean it's not like we're adding dozens of new housing units or anything but it's still more than there was before. Are people just unhappy about gutting an old rowhouse that 99.999999% of people are never gonna see inside anyway?

I'm probably missing something.
Yeah, it's a good project. Single Family mansions or cut-up 3 apartment walk-ups make no sense at 21st and Walnut in a thriving Center City. It's either redevelop the block into something larger, or do stuff like this. I prefer the look of the facade for this one vs. the one that's been built already.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 12:23 PM

I like this and would like to see more of this style of development that keeps the street feel but adds density in needed areas. Walnut st from 21st to the river is kinda weird, it definitely needs more density and hopefully
More street action

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
I like this and would like to see more of this style of development that keeps the street feel but adds density in needed areas. Walnut st from 21st to the river is kinda weird, it definitely needs more density and hopefully
More street action
For sure, it has so much potential. Something great could go where the Sweat Fitness closed on 24th and Walnut, it's right by the rivers edge and afaik it's only storage/parking left in the building (as long as they manage to keep the Phillies mural)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 3:18 PM

I like this project, but I give it a 1% chance of actually happening between the historic commission and neighbors

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 5:21 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I like this project, but I give it a 1% chance of actually happening between the historic commission and neighbors
The neighbors of 2112 Walnut on Chancellor St and in English Village are particularly displeased, but also opposition from condo owners in the adjacent 2108-10 Walnut by the same development team. See the written public comments thus far: https://www.phila.gov/media/20230925...-comment-3.pdf

Meanwhile at the Architectural Committee meeting today:
According to Nancy Bastian of CPB Architects, first floor interior of historic building will be retained as will the stairwell throughout. Other floors had been modified in past as the entire building has been used as law offices. Rear wall and 1-story addition will be removed. Slate shingles on mansard to be restored as well as the brownstone façade.

By unanimous consent the committee recommended DENIAL based on standards 9, 10, the Roofs Guideline, and Section 14-1005(6d) of the Philadelphia Code, the prohibition against demolition. This will be reviewed by the full Historical Commission at their October 13 meeting, unless there’s a continuance request.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The neighbors of 2112 Walnut on but also opposition from condo owners in the adjacent 2108-10 Walnut by the same development team. See the written public comments thus far: https://www.phila.gov/media/20230925...-comment-3.pdf
I saw this and thought it was hilariously ironic. Like, cmon now. Historically (lol), the historic commission has been way too hard on height and massing, even when they're reasonable imo, so that alone is going to make this DoA. Even that proposed 7story building around 15th and spruce was claimed to be out of scale (why even have CMX-5 zoning then..) despite there being two ~20 story buildings on both corners. I think the same thing happened here a block over with a proposal replacing a non contributing building, when one corner again has a 13 story building on the corner

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 7:45 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The neighbors of 2112 Walnut on Chancellor St and in English Village are particularly displeased, but also opposition from condo owners in the adjacent 2108-10 Walnut by the same development team. See the written public comments thus far: https://www.phila.gov/media/20230925...-comment-3.pdf
How is it possible that residents of 2110 Walnut "vigorously oppose" this project on the basis of "out-of-scale"? This proposal is a carbon copy of 2110 Walnut, plus a few more stories, which won't loom over the street due to setbacks. At least think of better arguments like the other neighbors.

Sort of on topic, but does 2204 Walnut Street still have a chance?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
How is it possible that residents of 2110 Walnut "vigorously oppose" this project on the basis of "out-of-scale"? This proposal is a carbon copy of 2110 Walnut, plus a few more stories, which won't loom over the street due to setbacks. At least think of better arguments like the other neighbors.

Sort of on topic, but does 2204 Walnut Street still have a chance?
To be fair, the new proposal is larger and taller than it’s neighbor. If I recall correctly, I believe that one was scaled back by PHC.

I’m on the fence with this one considering that it sits on the cusp of a low rise brownstone/carriage house neighborhood so I can at least somewhat understand their concerns. I mean apartment towers hovering over brownstone blocks in Rittenhouse would prolly be kinda stupid looking which is why PHC is likely to once again scale this back.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 10:45 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
To be fair, the new proposal is larger and taller than it’s neighbor. If I recall correctly, I believe that one was scaled back by PHC.

I’m on the fence with this one considering that it sits on the cusp of a low rise brownstone/carriage house neighborhood so I can at least somewhat understand their concerns. I mean apartment towers hovering over brownstone blocks in Rittenhouse would prolly be kinda stupid looking which is why PHC is likely to once again scale this back.
I was referring specifically to the resident complaints in 2110 Walnut.

This proposal is ~4 stories taller than 2110 and equally setback, it wouldn't be much more noticeable, its not a Comcast Center.

And many high-rises in Rittenhouse are on the cusp of low-rise houses. How is this different?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...xccp?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9479...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9489...8192?entry=ttu

I'm not giving this project a ringing endorsement (I'd rather see 2204 Walnut built first), but the "out-of-scale" argument is tired and inconsistent. A good compromise is figuring out how to prevent a huge ugly blank West facing wall like 2110 Walnut.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Sep 26, 2023 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 6:18 PM

Walnut Street condo owners revolt against building proposed next door by their developer

Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230926.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Walnut Street condo owners revolt against building proposed next door by their developer

Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230926.html
Haha, classic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects