HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:22 AM
Ω

Where should I apply?

I'm applying to architecture schools. I've already submitted Cooper Union (10% admissions rate... ) and Pratt (where I would like to go). I hear UT Arlington has a good school but I don't want to live in Texas unless it's Austin. I'm applying to UT austin for graphic design because the architecture is way too competetive and Texas has a 'top 10% policy' that really screws me over.

So, I'm basically looking for more art based architecture schools in vibrant, stimulating urban areas. Preferably programs where I'd get my license in 5 years.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
BANNED

best architecture schools:

yale
mit
harvard
iit
caltech
columbia
rice

if you're into modern architecture go to yale, mit, or iit!

mit and iit have 5 year barch degrees that are equal to a masters. and they also have a double degree (barch and march) plan. and boston and chicago are both 'vibrant, stimulating urban areas'
i would stick to tech. schools over art schools if i were you. but hurry up and apply, most architecture schools have a deadline of jan. or feb.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:34 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I'm applying to Pratt, too (my first choice, along with RISD), Temple, Drexel, CUNY, UofM, Northeastern, UWM.

You should try RISD. If you tried Cooper Union, you should try RISD. It's basically the Harvard of art schools. Providence is really cool, too.

Maybe if all goes well we'll see each other at Pratt in a year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 2:24 AM
roma volo

portland state?
and if not, georgia tech ain't that bad.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:25 AM
Dance with the Devil

what about
university of Illinois at Chicago?
or
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign? which is the first school in illinois to offer a bachelor in architecture

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:38 AM
i like stuff

University of Kentucky thats where I'll most likely end up next year
it's five years and pretty arts based

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by munda View Post
what about
university of Illinois at Chicago?
or
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign? which is the first school in illinois to offer a bachelor in architecture
uic? maybe... but if you can afford iit and have the grades, iit is chicago's architecture school. period.
iit is one of the best architecture programs in the country; its barch program is awesome. iit is where i'm getting my barch degree. and my first two choices for grad school are mit and yale.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 7:01 AM
Ω

Thank you everyone for input, I've done some quick research on most mentioned. I've been contemplating RISD for a while, CGII, and I guess I should just go ahead and apply. IIT looks interesting I'll look more into to that one too. Sadly, adrainxsands, I'm really not ivy league caliber but I can dream haha. Chicago would be a great city to intern in, as would New York.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 2:01 AM
BANNED

when i can get a job i want to be a archatech

thanks for the info

(Merry Cristmas )

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 2:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Great View Post
when i can get a job i want to be a archatech

thanks for the info

(Merry Cristmas )
what?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
what?
i want to desian skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I can't say I am going to miss you Nate.

:fiddle:

Goodby

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
before learning how to design skyscrapers you need to learns how to spell.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Dec 15, 2007 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 4:37 AM
BANNED

and if you want to become an architect, then you need to learn how to draft, learn how to use CAD, learn about building code, learn zoning code, learn about materials, learn about construction, learn planning concepts, learn design concepts, learn a few centuries of architectural history, learn how to draft better, learn about structural systems, take a few physics and math classes, and after about 5 years in school you can work at a firm as an apprentice... a few years later you can take your ARE and become a licensed architect. then you can design skyscrapers all you want... oh, but you kind of have to get a developer to hire you... did i leave anything out???
the first step is to apply to an architecture school.

**EDIT** on second thought... just eat some magic beans, go to sleep, and then magically when you wake up, you'll be a skyscraper designer... and a better speller too!

Last edited by Tom Servo; Dec 15, 2007 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 9:10 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I've already submitted Cooper Union (10% admissions rate... )
I guess we're competing for admissions then. I gotta say, I'm really attracted by the dynamic duo of NYC and Free College. Are you excited for the hometest? I have no clue what that will involve.

Also applying to:
-UIC (instate tuition!)
-Notre Dame
-Miami
-Georgia Tech
-Maryland
-Northeastern
-Syracuse
-Tulane (already accepted)
-Arizona
-Washington-Seattle

Before somebody comments on Notre Dame or Miami - I know full well what I'm getting myself into at their architecture schools.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
and if you want to become an architect, then you need to learn how to draft, learn how to use CAD, learn about building code, learn zoning code, learn about materials, learn about construction, learn planning concepts, learn design concepts, learn a few centuries of architectural history, learn how to draft better, learn about structural systems, take a few physics and math classes, and after about 5 years in school you can work at a firm as an apprentice... a few years later you can take your ARE and become a licensed architect. then you can design skyscrapers all you want... oh, but you kind of have to get a developer to hire you... did i leave anything out???
the first step is to apply to an architecture school.

**EDIT** on second thought... just eat some magic beans, go to sleep, and then magically when you wake up, you'll be a skyscraper designer... and a better speller too!
I have to learn all of that

I better get off and start studying

[How is my spelling now?]

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 1:36 AM
Chaos Machine

If you are interested in designing skyscrapers, UIC or IIT (even though not on your list?) are the ticket. Both are good schools, and have connections to most of the big skyscraper designing firms in the city. The best thing about the schools? Chicago. Both have some fantastic people on their staff as well. I would say UIC has a better location, but IIT is still just a short ride into the city and has a slightly more technically oriented program.

Georgia Tech is a good school also. I got in there, but decided I would rather live in Chicago.

While I learned a lot in school.. I would really say that the most important thing are the connections you make there. Both UIC and IIT have practicing architects, many well known, for most of the professors. Honestly, I don't know how some of them do it. They really bust their ass, and must really love teaching in order to do it. It sure as hell can't be for the pay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I guess we're competing for admissions then. I gotta say, I'm really attracted by the dynamic duo of NYC and Free College. Are you excited for the hometest? I have no clue what that will involve.

Also applying to:
-UIC (instate tuition!)
-Notre Dame
-Miami
-Georgia Tech
-Maryland
-Northeastern
-Syracuse
-Tulane (already accepted)
-Arizona
-Washington-Seattle

Before somebody comments on Notre Dame or Miami - I know full well what I'm getting myself into at their architecture schools.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 1:44 AM
Chaos Machine

Quote:
I have to learn all of that

I better get off and start studying

[How is my spelling now?]

Also, you have to practice it all out in the real world and with how much talent, training and school (MAster's req'd) is required to excel at it... you don't make that much money. You really have to love it, trust me. Lots of late nights, and headache generating tasks involved with some aspects of designing. If you are looking for money.. look elsewhere... since just about any other master's degree involving a major field will get you more money.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2007, 1:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
If you are interested in designing skyscrapers, UIC or IIT (even though not on your list?) are the ticket. Both are good schools, and have connections to most of the big skyscraper designing firms in the city. The best thing about the schools? Chicago. Both have some fantastic people on their staff as well. I would say UIC has a better location, but IIT is still just a short ride into the city and has a slightly more technically oriented program.

Georgia Tech is a good school also. I got in there, but decided I would rather live in Chicago.

While I learned a lot in school.. I would really say that the most important thing are the connections you make there. Both UIC and IIT have practicing architects, many well known, for most of the professors. Honestly, I don't know how some of them do it. They really bust their ass, and must really love teaching in order to do it. It sure as hell can't be for the pay...
I love the UIC school... I've visited several times, since it's so close. I've also visited IIT, which is great. I'm probably downtown several times a month, and I'm pretty familiar with the city and its neighborhoods, since I lived on the South Side until I was 10.

I'm only applying to UIC because I thought I should apply to an in-state school as a safety. I'm really looking for a place that has urban location (or access) and a self-sufficient campus as well. Most of the schools on my list fit that description. The schools that don't are exceptional cases.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 5:28 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Preferably programs where I'd get my license in 5 years.
Doesn't work that way. ALL states require a minimum of 8 years combined schooling and work to get a license. You CAN begin taking the ARE exams after 5 years in some states however. Also, some states have additional examinations beyond NCARB's 8 ARE divisions (such as California's Supplemental Oral Examination).

I'd highly recommend Pratt or RISD. Cooper Union (if you can get in) is highly theoretical (far too much for my tastes). Can't remember who is dean there now.

UT-Austin and Rice have the best reputations in Texas, but I think John R from Ft.Worth went to UT-Arlington so maybe he can help you there.

There are lots of good schools out there and lots of so-so schools (I went to one of the latter: Arizona State). Point being, as long as the program is NAAB accredited, you should get at least a fundamental set of skills. Also, it does make a difference whether or not you go to a 4+2 school or a 5 yr school. 4+2 schools tend to be more theoretical and 5 yr more work oriented.

For something totally different (and if you'd like to get paid while you go), look at Boston Architectural Center. It takes 7+ years, but you work as part of your program and can sit all the exams once you graduate (no waiting for licensure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands
best architecture schools:

yale
mit
harvard
iit
caltech
columbia
rice
Caltech? They don't even have a program.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture