HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 9:56 PM

S.A.-Texas Research Park named finalist for $500M biodefense facility

Texas Research Park named finalist for $500M biodefense facility

San Antonio Business Journal

by Catherine Dominguez

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has selected the Texas Research Park as one of five finalists for a $500 million national laboratory that will focus on biological threats to humans and animals.

The government will announce its final site selection for the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility in October 2008. Construction is slated to begin in 2010 and the lab is expected to operational by 2013 or early 2014.

The other four finalist sites are located in Kansas, Mississippi, Georgia and North Carolina.

The government was considering 29 possible sites and narrowed the list to 18 in March, which included three in San Antonio. The other sites under consideration were located in California, Kentucky, Georgia, Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Texas.

Along with the Texas Research Park, Brooks City-Base and the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research were also evaluated by Homeland Security.

The Department of Homeland Security has earmarked $23 million for the site selection process and for the conceptual design study and feasibility report. The new lab will replace current facilities at the Plum Island Animal Disease Center in New York.

Representatives with Brooks City-Base, the Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, the Texas Research and Technology Foundation, the University of Texas at San Antonio and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio have formed the Texas Biological and Agro-Defense Consortium to promote San Antonio as a site for the proposed lab.

The goal of the group is to combine local strengths, capabilities and resources to bring the laboratory to the Alamo City. The facility will focus on the threat to humans and animals from bio-terrorism to naturally occurring diseases.

The new laboratory is a joint project with Homeland Security, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 4:24 AM

San Antonio site among 5 finalists for national germ lab
By SUZANNE GAMBOA
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Sites in Texas and four other states are finalists for a $450 million national lab where killer germs like anthrax, avian flu and foot-and-mouth disease will be studied, Texas' U.S. senators said Wednesday.

Texas Research Park in northwest San Antonio is one of the possible hosts for the 520,000-square-foot National Bio- and Agro-Defense Lab, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said. Federal officials also have chosen sites in Georgia, Kansas, Mississippi and North Carolina, said Sen. John Cornyn.

"San Antonio's highly skilled and diverse work force, together with its outstanding research facilities, make it an ideal location for this facility," Cornyn said.

The sites were chosen by a team from the Homeland Security Department, the Agriculture Department and Health and Human Services. Homeland Security planned to issue a news release later Wednesday, said Larry Orluskie, department spokesman.

Texas had proposed three sites in San Antonio and one in Bryan-College Station offered by Texas A&M University.

The facility will replace an aging, smaller lab at Plum Island, N.Y., where security lapses after the 2001 terrorist attacks drew scrutiny from Congress and government investigators. It would bring at least 300 lab-related jobs, and more in construction, officials have said.

Congress provided money for the $47 million design and architecture, but no money has been appropriated for construction or operations.

The winner should be announced next year, with the lab operating by 2014.

The lab will have the highest-level security rating, BSL-4, meaning it would be equipped to handle the most lethal, incurable disease agents.

Sites that didn't make the cut were in California, Oklahoma, Maryland, Missouri, Wisconsin and Kentucky, which was working with Tennessee.

Community acceptance was one of the criteria, and some sites drew opposition from area residents.

As officials were whittling the list, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suspended Texas A&M's federal research on the most dangerous infectious diseases after two cases in which the school did not immediately report researchers' exposures to contagions.

The other finalists are in Athens, Ga.; Manhattan, Kan.; Madison County, Miss.; and a site that includes Granville and Durham counties in North Carolina.

The Plum Island lab that will be replaced conducts research on foot-and-mouth disease and other germs to protect agriculture and livestock from foreign diseases. The new lab will do that and possibly research on other diseases and contagions such as anthrax, smallpox and Marburg and Lassa fever, rare hemorrhagic fevers that attack arteries and veins.

___

On the Net: http://www.dhs.gov

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...ontagions.html

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 4:25 AM

OK - not sure if I want this thing in my back yard!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
OK - not sure if I want this thing in my back yard!
I hear ya

When I first saw this I thought it was the national vaccine lab, but no it's the germ farm. There is pretty good competition in that list (not sure about Miss.).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 2:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

I agree about the fear factor. Will this be run by the government or private business? I assume private business considering our current executive administration, but of course I could be wrong.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio