HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:33 PM

Over on Retail Talk & Share NB, someone posted a picture of an excavator that is on the site of the land that's for sale on McAllister Drive (next to Carquest). Apparently they've been clearing out trees all day. I wonder if someone bought this parcel of land and is clearing it out for future development or something?

A link to the property listing: https://cwatlantic.com/properties/mcallister-drive/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Over on Retail Talk & Share NB, someone posted a picture of an excavator that is on the site of the land that's for sale on McAllister Drive (next to Carquest). Apparently they've been clearing out trees all day. I wonder if someone bought this parcel of land and is clearing it out for future development or something?

A link to the property listing: https://cwatlantic.com/properties/mcallister-drive/

I believed they cleared the same area last year too. Nonetheless, I hope someone develops something on the site.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 10:49 PM

Demolition progress of the former Fundy Line Motel on Rothesay Aveune.
(The photo is from Retail Talk & Share NB).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:29 PM

Saint John Area Beats National Average In Housing Sales Outlook
https://huddle.today/saint-john-area...sales-outlook/

Link to the outlook: https://blog.remax.ca/canadian-housing-market-outlook/

Last edited by DyAm00394; Nov 27, 2019 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 6:58 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Further to the above...

Quote:
Saint John home sales surge to new October record
CREA > Housing Market Stats > Saint John Real Estate Board

Residential sales activity reported through the MLS® System of the Saint John Real Estate Board numbered 229 units in October 2019. This was an increase of16.2%from October 2018 and marked a new sales record for the month of October.

On a year-to-date basis, home sales totalled 2,002 units over the first 10 months of the year, up 12.2%from the same period in 2018.

“While home sales have been strong all year, October was the first monthly sales record in 2019,” said Sherry Sheldrick, President of the Saint John Real Estate Board. “That said, because of the wide distribution of monthly sales records in previous years, 2019 is actually still very much in the running to be the best year ever for home sales in the region. With two months left to go this year activity is trailing the 2007 record by only five transactions.

The average price of homes sold in October 2019 was$188,350, jumping 12.4% from October 2018.

The more comprehensive year-to-date average price was $182,479, edging back 0.7% from the first 10 months of 2018.

There were 247 new residential listings in October 2019. This was a decrease of12.7%on a year-over-year basis and the lowest October level in 13 years.

Overall supply continues to fall. Active residential listings numbered 1,199 units at the end of October, dropping 25.5%from the end of October 2018 and marking the lowest level for this time of the year since 2007.

Months of inventory numbered 5.2 at the end of October 2019, down from the 8.2 months recorded at the end of October 2018 and less than half the 10-year average of 11.5 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.

The total dollar value of all home sales in October 2019 was $43.1 million, a large 30.6% increase from the same month in 2018. This was a new record for the month of October by a margin of more than $10 million.

Sales of all property types in Saint John numbered 267 units in October 2019, an increase of21.9%from October 2018. The total value of all properties sold was $47.7 million, jumping 37% from October 2018.
Source: https://creastats.crea.ca/board/sjnb

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Further to the above...

Source: https://creastats.crea.ca/board/sjnb
Any commentary on what is driving this ? Does this mean population growth is picking up speed? I see a lot of newcomers around.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Any commentary on what is driving this ? Does this mean population growth is picking up speed? I see a lot of newcomers around.
Sure but after they realize what the city is really like there gone.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
Come on, there is no need for this.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
Yea looking at your posts, it is clear that you don't ever have anything positive to say about anything.

People are buying houses at a good clip in the city, not exactly a sign of out migration. If you think the city of SJ has nothing to offer I suggest putting your house on the market (It's a great time to sell apparently) and moving to beautiful Prince Albert SK.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 7:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Couple factors include:
  • Increased international immigration
  • Increased interprovincial migration
  • Baby boomers downsizing

I really can't emphasize enough how many people are leaving Ontario/BC for the Maritimes because of cheaper housing. There's essentially a weekly thread on reddit/r/newbrunswick of someone moving to NB from elsewhere asking for advice and tips.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:41 PM

I think another factor is all the young professionals who moved to Alberta for work are finding themselves on the receiving end of Alberta’s weakening oil industry.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 11:04 PM

Coast Guard Development

The CBC is reporting that a local group wants to develop the former Coast Guard site. I'll believe it when I see it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...gQnSfpqfIiR8KI

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
The CBC is reporting that a local group wants to develop the former Coast Guard site. I'll believe it when I see it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...gQnSfpqfIiR8KI
I have a lot of confidence that this will move forward if the conditions can be met - seawall etc. This developer is local and has worked on a number of other developments and is 100% credible. This will be a fantastic change for our waterfront and I wish him all the best of luck.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I have a lot of confidence that this will move forward if the conditions can be met - seawall etc. This developer is local and has worked on a number of other developments and is 100% credible. This will be a fantastic change for our waterfront and I wish him all the best of luck.
I agree. Hope it works out and that we don't have to wait long before construction starts.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:05 PM
New Brunswick booster!

So I hear Booster Juice closed at Brunswick Square. That place needs a revamp and a rejuvenation. It's so sad.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
So I hear Booster Juice closed at Brunswick Square. That place needs a revamp and a rejuvenation. It's so sad.
It closed temporarily according to a sign posted at the location.

Booster Juice currently has a franchise up for re-sale here in SJ. (Presumably it's for the Brunswick Square location). https://www.boosterjuice.com/franchise-opportunities/

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 2:58 PM

The management of Brunswick Sq must have some kind of plan for their spaces, they can't see loosing this amount of tenants to be a good course of action otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
The management of Brunswick Sq must have some kind of plan for their spaces, they can't see loosing this amount of tenants to be a good course of action otherwise.
There's always that rumour floating around about a grocery store moving in somewhere Uptown. I haven't heard anything about it lately though.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:04 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A couple notable projects are starting the planning process as per this Council document.

95 Wentworth is the Gothic Arches site and 819 Millidge is the former Anglican church property at the corner of Daniel Avenue in Millidgeville.

The public hearings are proposed to be scheduled for February 10th, implying a January PAC date for both developments. So we should know more within the next month.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:31 PM
ハルウララ

Do we have any info on 819 Millidge? Are they removing the church entirely? Renders? Units?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces