HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:00 PM
Chaos Machine

I understand your point.

Of course all glass isn't created equal. Neither are all the aluminum or steel mullions that hold them in place. Arguably, some european manufacturers like schuco for example, make very technically advanced (integrated concealed motors, etc.) and perhaps even more aesthetically pleasing types of curtain and window wall systems that are much nicer than some of the systems produced in the states. Perhaps the european consumer or more likely the developer simply demands better quality? I think the customers who are buying all these condo units here in Chicago may care more about the quality of finishes in their units than what the cladding of the building looks like. I would say that that is proven by all of the "vertical terds" in River North, as Steely Dan lovingly calls them.

Perhaps that is changing slowly though. Many projects happening now compared to 10 years ago have made leaps and bounds in quality of design compared to the shit that pretty much dominated the constructed landscape here in the late 90's and early 00's. Still, the reality is that spending a few million extra dollars on the glass for Trump Tower for example, I seriously doubt would have a positive effect on increased sales.. Therefore they used cheaper glass. Would you rather see projects not happen at all, than have slightly more wavy glass?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:47 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
Would you rather see projects not happen at all, than have slightly more wavy glass?
I'm not sure I'm ready to answer that.

However, it pains me to see a project like Aqua, a building that I think could potentially be among the greatest yet constructed in Chicago, use crappier-than-average-glass.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:22 PM

^ don't worry, alliance. I guarantee the glass and building (in relation to the glass) will look much better as the glass continues to rise. just like trump. typically, the first row is always the absolute worst, and so many complaints come about, but as more and more uniform-sky is reflected off the glass, people's negative feelings about the building generally subside (including yours, believe it or not)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:38 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Pandemonious, are you (or anyone else on the thread) familiar with developments in bird-repellant glass? UV scattering (eg Chicago Spire) is one method; I'm curious if a certain amount of waviness in the glass would have a similar effect in decreasing bird collisions?

Last edited by wrab; Jan 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Question for Alliance, do you think that the glass on JHC is "below average" as you say about the glass on Aqua? I really can't see much of a difference in the waviness of the two. The only difference is that you can't see the waves in Hancock's glass very easily from street level...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
However, it pains me to see a project like Aqua, a building that I think could potentially be among the greatest yet constructed in Chicago, use crappier-than-average-glass.
But that's the thing, I don't think it is. I've seen people here say that the glass on 340 OTP is really high quality, and as I posted, it looks just as wavy as Aqua.
I think Aqua's glass is better than we're giving it credit for.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:07 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
Pandemonious, are you (or anyone else on the thread) familiar with developments in bird-repellant glass? UV scattering (eg Chicago Spire) is one method; I'm curious if a certain amount of waviness in the glass would have a similar effect in decreasing bird collisions?

I doubt it. As I understand it, the birds so far do not seem to "get with it" unless they can detect serious changes in the horizon or space from a distance. This would require some kind of opacity - e.g. fritting. A lot of the older glass with the metal films or other mirror-like finishes was some of the more obviously wavy to humans, but also was a lethal death trap for many feathered fellows.

Also, my understanding is that the UV idea is very new and unproven. I am surprised, in fact, if indeed this is the sole technique at the Spire, that they are ready to claim that it is "bird safe."

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:15 AM

A newer type of curtain wall glazing has been showing up on a couple of projects in Vancouver. It is floor to ceiling, has very little distortion, and it covers the floorplate as well so there are no spandrels.

It is also on the front elevation of the neighbouring tower.

(my photos)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:54 AM
Registered

^ Nice.

I suspect that it has the same amount of surface distortion, but due to lower iron content and, hence, low reflectivity, the eye doesn't pick up on this as much. Jahn's tower in Chicago plays that same trick.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture