HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
As of 8/1, 17,000 ukranians have arrived in la since the start of the war. Im guessing its over 20k now. Its getting noticeable in some areas.

What part of LA, the Valley? With the wars, I could also see a lot more Armenians and Israelis, perhaps Iranians too.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
What part of LA, the Valley? With the wars, I could also see a lot more Armenians and Israelis, perhaps Iranians too.
I'm in the Valley so I notice. Many in Van Nuys, suprisingly. Maybe because it's alittle more affordable? Idk.

I heard Hawthorne/Lawndale/North Redondo has a good amount for some reason. My friend at the DMV in the West Valley said Ukrainans and Russians have been signfigant numbers all year. Many are upper middle class/rich, he said.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
hi, where did you find this data? curious what the numbers are for chicago when it comes to ukranians.
https://www.voanews.com/a/mom-please...ng%20the%20way.

Just for LA on this.
I feel like its been more noticeable since August though so it's defintiely higher than 17k now.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
https://www.voanews.com/a/mom-please...ng%20the%20way.

Just for LA on this.
I feel like its been more noticeable since August though so it's defintiely higher than 17k now.
Word thank you !

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:03 PM

I'm sure Chicago has alot as well. Same with NYC. It's interesting. There''s probably going to be more data soon with all the cities.

The Ukranians seem so happy too, getting out of all that trouble/war there.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Maybe after there's a path to work authorization created for them. Otherwise it will just create more tent cities in places that have few resources to handle the influx.
The work situation absolutely needs to be sorted out in Washington.

But we both know it won't.

In the meantime, the migrants are already here, with more busloads arriving every day. It doesn't make much sense to me to keep them all crammed into a handful of the nation's main immigration gateway cities.

Programs like the one this st. Louis group is doing to resettle a couple thousand refugees from Chicago down to St. Louis make a lot of sense. There should be similar programs for Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc.

The rust belt needs people.

Any people.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 23, 2023 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I was in Dublin Ireland last week and I noticed an exceptional number of Brazilians in the city center. I googled it and apparently the number of Brazilians has gone up five fold in Dublin in the last five years, from approx 8K to 40K people.

Super interesting dynamic.
A large number of Colombians and Venezuelans as well. I read an article a couple of years ago on the Venezuelan engineers/doctors who moved to Dublin because the US would not take them.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 2:33 PM

An example of the South Asian influence in New Jersey. New Jersey is 3% Hindu...the highest rate of any state in the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/21/n...du-temple.html

Robbinsville is in Mercer County NJ, smack in the middle of the state, though much closer to (Center City) Philadelphia than it is to (Downtown) New York City. (40 miles versus 60 miles). It's probably 25 miles from the Philadelphia City border to Robbinsville.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 2:34 PM

Oh yeah, heard about this temple. Largest Hindu temple on earth outside of India is now in NJ. Fitting given that NJ has developed such a huge Indian population along the NE corridor line.

At least pre-pandemic, if you took a rush hour train anywhere along NE corridor line from Trenton to NY Penn, it was quite clear that South Asians were emerging as the dominant group along that corridor. A few school districts are now approaching 90% South Asian. They're at least as Indian as Cupertino or parts of SGV are Chinese.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 3:26 PM

EAST BAY NEWS
El Cerrito restaurant catering to fast-growing Nepalese community in Contra Costa County:

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco...-costa-county/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:04 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I live in a sizeable (rare) new build neighborhood https://www.liveatnorthbank.com/ about a mile from Center City Philadelphia. It's new construction on an old industrial site (shipyard) with about 900 homes planned. 350 or so are settled, and to date, about 80% of the residents are Asian (probably 60% Chinese, 20% South Asian). I see a lot of out of state plates (NY, NJ in particular but also California, DC, Maryland, Massachusetts, Washington, Arkansas, Georgia). So far I've counted five Google employees among my neighbors who have relocated from CA or NY.

In the Philadelphia suburbs, especially if you are in a newer neighborhood, it will almost definitely be 50+% Asian, with the largest proportion being South Asian, whereas in the city, the largest proportion will be Chinese.

This demographic shift seems to be happening quickly. In Philadelphia proper, there are also ongoing waves of immigration from slavic and Russian speaking countries, but specifically Ukraine, Russia, Khazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia. Apparently immigrant resettlement agencies are settling immigrants in neighborhoods they've largely avoided in the past because there is no housing in traditional immigrant areas (namely, NE Philly).

We seem to get a lot of second wave immigrants in Philly as well. That is, immigrants that first settle in NYC but after a few years migrate down to Philadelphia.
Chester County is very heavily South Asian. Twenty years ago there was nothing Indian in the Exton/Lionville/Downingtown area. Now we have several Indian businesses along the 100 corridor.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
Chester County is very heavily South Asian. Twenty years ago there was nothing Indian in the Exton/Lionville/Downingtown area. Now we have several Indian businesses along the 100 corridor.
Well this is particularly true in that area because of the STEM Magnate School in the Downingtown School District. Huge draw for Asian families.

But it is increasingly the case everywhere. In the new build neighborhoods in Garnet Valley, if you drive around at times, it seems as though everyone is South Asian. That was inconceivable a generation ago. These places were for sure WASP strong holds.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
How big is Bay Area boom in India-born residents? Together, they’d rank as the region’s fourth-largest city
Indian immigrants now make up 1 out of every 5 residents in some South and East Bay ZIP codes

By HARRIET ROWAN | Richmond Confidential
PUBLISHED: October 28, 2023 at 6:00 a.m. | UPDATED: November 1, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.

Earlier this year, in an epic shift, India became the world’s most populous country.

And over the last decade, a similar transformation has been playing out in the Bay Area: Residents born in India now represent the largest immigrant group in the region’s two biggest counties, Santa Clara and Alameda. While the change, driven by federal immigration policy and Silicon Valley’s search for high-tech talent, has been playing out for years, new census estimates illustrate just how dramatic the India-born population has grown.

About 250,000 immigrants from India call the two counties home. That’s enough people combined to rank as the Bay Area’s fourth largest city.

The impact of the influx is showing up in simple and symbolic ways, especially along the southern end of San Francisco Bay, from Sunnyvale down to Milpitas, over to Fremont and back up to Dublin. In 2022, in a handful of ZIP codes, more than 1 in 5 residents were born in India.

Bharti Sodha is one of them. She has seen the remarkable growth over the past 38 years when she and her ex-husband, Viren, and their two children first moved in with Sodha’s sister in San Jose.

“When we arrived,” she recalls, “she took us to an Indian restaurant in Berkeley. There was no Indian restaurant here” in the South Bay.

Now there are half a dozen in Fremont alone that specialize in popular Indian street foods panipuri and chaat, not to mention a dozen Indian grocery stores. San Jose is home to four cricket fields, according to the Northern California Cricket Association. And Berkeley boasts a small Indian garment district of sari stores with brightly draped mannequins in the windows.

The population boom is also revealed in the U.S. Census Bureau’s 2022 American Community Survey released last month, which provides annual estimates of people who live in the United States, with details about their homes and lives. The number of Indian-born residents is growing across the five-county region but is most concentrated in the South and East Bay, where the community first topped the number of residents born in Mexico in 2018. It hasn’t slowed since.

Migration from Mexico peaked in the early-to-mid 2000s, and the number of Mexican-born residents here has fallen in the past decade. The establishment of the H1-B visa in 1990 created a new avenue for highly skilled workers to come and work in the United States. That coincided with the growth of Silicon Valley and its need for those workers.

Now, the C-Suites at some of Silicon Valley’s top companies are occupied by Indian-born executives, including CEOs for Google-parent company Alphabet’s Sundar Pichai and Adobe’s Shantanu Narayen.

“This first wave of immigrants from India tend to be professionals or students,” said Irene Bloemraad, a professor at UC Berkeley and faculty director of the Berkeley Interdisciplinary Migration Initiative. “They tend to be more upper class people from India, because they’re the ones with the resources to go to school and have these skills,” she said.

“Then slowly with time they sponsor their relatives,” she said, which along with other types of immigration has diversified the Indian-born population over time.
https://www.siliconvalley.com/2023/1...-largest-city/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:27 PM

The U.S., by mid-century (and Canada even earlier) will have a massive Indian cultural presence.

South Asian food, holidays and culture will be as all-American as Mexican equivalents. Large regions, like the South Bay in CA, and Central Jersey, will have Indian majorities or at least pluralities.

But even the non-gateway metros are being transformed. Novi, MI, a sprawly suburb of Detroit, had basically zero Indian presence 20 years ago. Its schools are now majority Asian, and rapidly approaching majority South Asian.

Diwali is now a holiday in NYC schools. In the future I suspect it will be a very common holiday in American schools.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:33 PM

When i lived in san jose my morning commute on the vta to sunnyvale was mostly filled with Indian peeps also heading to work in the silicon valley offices.
And around downtown finding Indian food was almost as ubiquitous Mexican/Vietnamese.

Here in Chicago I see more and more Indian peeps on parts of the south side.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Ohhh, tandoori burritos for turkey day dinner!!

Can't wait.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Fremont is off the charts with great Indian food. The Indian population there is so I that I as sometimes feel like the foreigner.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 7:32 PM

Sweden has a small Indian population. Only around 60 000. Half of them live in the Stockholm Metro area.

Just last year around 10.000 immigrated, making it one of the (if not the biggest) immigrant groups the past year.

Half of them work in IT (duhh).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 8:18 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Metro Vancouver has always had a large South Asian population, but it's absolute blown up in recent years.

In East Vancouver, the Latino population has grown by leaps and bounds.

I hear quite a bit of Ukrainian and Russian these days as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
How much of this Indian growth is dependent upon tech expansion? There are also a lot of Indian migrants at the border who tend to be much poorer. Generally tech Indian immigrants are mostly Telegu and migrants at border are mostly Punjabi.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions