HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
FWIW, it's very confusing to see others suspended without any kind of reason provided. It is difficult to understand the rules when we don't see why action was taken due to them being broken.
I've seen this criticism on many forums, and perhaps the best thing for the mods to do is write a short explanation of why a user was suspended/banned and the length of the ban.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 8:36 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
FWIW, it's very confusing to see others suspended without any kind of reason provided. It is difficult to understand the rules when we don't see why action was taken due to them being broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I've seen this criticism on many forums, and perhaps the best thing for the mods to do is write a short explanation of why a user was suspended/banned and the length of the ban.
We generally don't comment on specific cases publicly. If one is suspended for any reason, the reason itself should be displayed within the system at the time of the suspension; it does not have to come form in an individual PM. For the current suspended individuals, I do see the reasons displayed in the system.

We are, however, making an exception this time around. Many of the suspensions given involved breaching forum rules (mostly Section 1) in the Westside Church Thread and if you have followed the thread, all of us have provided ample warnings. The suspensions were not immediately put through as the moderators were discussing each individual user/case.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 12:44 PM

Hello all,

I know that many of us have screens larger than 1024x768 nowadays, and that it's easier to see larger images if they're pasted directly into the forums.

Having said that, it is bothering me that even my 1366x768 resolution on this laptop has trouble handling (in both dimensions) the recent sizes of some images, which appear to have been linked in without further consideration with respect to other users' default screen sizes.

As you can probably tell, images linked to this forum that are larger than a specified resolution tend to be an annoyance for some because they force these users to scroll like mad do forum actions and to see other parts of text or image.

In particular, images with low to moderate amounts of detail are most annoying if pasted raw, because they're meant to be seen whole and yet once it breaks the frame of the window, all you can see are pieces of it with scroll bars. How is that supposed to help in getting a wholesome picture into your minds?

Anyway, my point is this: the rules state that, as a guideline, images should be smaller than 1024x768 for optimum viewing purposes. Given that no one has bothered to care about that of late, can we make that more or less mandatory, or at least can someone post a reminder about such?

Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:09 PM

1366x768 is the standard resolution these days, but I think that most of us can generally be considered 'power users' and have higher resolution monitors. Hell, my laptop's resolution is 1920x1080!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 4:59 PM

Quote:
1366x768 is the standard resolution these days, but I think that most of us can generally be considered 'power users' and have higher resolution monitors. Hell, my laptop's resolution is 1920x1080!
Nope, not most of the devices I use to browse SSP.

I second allan_kuan's post.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:48 PM

I downsize all my images just out of habit when I post anything I've taken because my camera is taking them at RAW 5000 pixels wide basically so that would piss a lot of people off (not to mention have me uploading something like 20mb images).

I try to drop them to around 800 wide at most. If I want people to have access to a larger image I just URL it. So URL the larger image around the smaller image so they can just click it to get the bigger one.

Truth is (and I've done a lot of web design and GUI interfaces), you can't design for full screen. Even if "most" people run 13something wide, I doubt "most" people run their browse maximized all the time. I for example RARELY have it maximized. I have outlook maximized on 1 monitor and I have about 10 IE/Firefox/etc. browsers going all at various non max sizes scattered around between programs and such. So when I view the forums my window is usually much smaller than max resolution.

Ultimately though I just deal with it when people post images or link ones massively huge and in my many many years on many different forums, I think it is ultimately a losing cause unless moderators become extremely militant about it and police it to the nth degree which is difficult to do because they have other stuff to do and deal with far more destructive on forums. It's kind of like people turning left on red lights. A lot of people do it and it is amazingly illegal, but the Police say they'd rather go after actual criminals that cause public issues than sit their going after every single red light turner. I don't 100% agree but I can see their point of pick you battles.

Too bad we don't have an automated way of having the system scan an image being posted and go "Hey wait sorry this is too big try again." Kind of like your red light camera.

For the record the PC I'm on righ tnow is set at 1680 x 1050 and I have 2 x 22" monitors (this is their maximium resolution, and they are standard Dell business LCD screens). At home I have my PC on a 32 inch LCD TV which is running 1366 x 768 and at most if I flip my PC over to my 60" TV in the living room, that runs 1920 x 1080 so not talking massively huge resolutions. I think images of at most 1027 x 768 would be fine by me. Anything larger and it starts to become an issue. And like I mentioned, I try to post images only at 800 x 600 because I know not everyone browses full screen and let's face it, you typically don't need images larger.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:30 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I've been on some sites that limit image size but those sites also host the pics themselves. I imagine it's possible to do it with linked pics as well but that's above my paygrade. I don't do many pics on here but as a common courtesy I always size them down to 800wide as well and jpeg them. Habits from back when bandwidth was a lot less.
Don't know if it's something for us to enforce, but perhaps... if it's an issue with other users we can discuss it and address it. I haven't really noticed it be problem within ssp:Vancouver but have noticed it more in the Canada section and the photo section of the site.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 7:44 PM

Yah I frequent SSP:Vancouver almost exclusively and also don't notice it so much. There was one example recently with the posting in the [Delta] project where someone posted the massive renders and such which were beyond huge, but that doesn't happen that often.

And you're right, easy to do if you host the images local to the forums, much more difficult with people linking outside. I also know the flip side in that people may browse on a site an image that is artificially reduced in size through code then they link to the image here and the actual image gets displayed with no limits. There are a lot of lazy web coders out there that will stick a 4000x3000 image on their web site then do a height=600 width=800 in their html tags so that the full image is rendered smaller.

This is why I think every poster should preview their post before they hit post and see what it will look like when they are including images. There is a little [Preview Post] button beside submit afterall that most people I think don't even know is there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 7:58 PM
More Towers

Not sure if anyone feels the same way, I prefer some leniency in the forum when people are talking about a building but wish people would get the hint at some point that a thread about a building isn't the place to solve urban design issues (unless it relates directly to said building).

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way..

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 8:04 PM

I'm not impressed with the recent turn towards negativity. Also, image macros or memes aren't why I come here. That's what Reddit is for.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 3:40 AM

When to start a new thread?

I have been pondering on this, and I thought I would pose the following question to the Mods/Admins. At what point is it appropriate that a new development receive it's own thread?

Currently it feels like the Downtown Vancouver Updates Thread is acting as a bit of a catch all. That being said, I can certainly understand the chaos if every development site was given it's own thread. Hence my question. I would have pm'ed, but I figure if there is a guideline available in the rules, than hopefully no one else will be a bother like I'm currently being.

Examples I can think of that are in the this grey zone would be the 150 Robson St site, The Twin Towers on Alberni, and The Broadway+Commercial Safeway site. All of these are relatively major, and at different stages; formal proposal, developer concept, and side project info/theories respectively. In short, how should they be handled? Also, should there be a height/significance limit to the creation of these threads.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 5:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There isn't a set in stone criteria. I've always waited until there is a real proposal put forward before creating a thread. Not just a rumour or a visioning process. If you look at most threads they have the floor and height set right in the title. Once we have that info it's a good time to have its own thread. Hope that makes sense. We just don't want a bunch of threads on proposals that go dead or get completely reworked.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 10:17 PM
retro_orange

Who is the pathetic pushover who un-banned Vin?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Who is the pathetic pushover who un-banned Vin?
Ivanhoe Cambridge

The year is 2040

Vin is their secret weapon in the war against the city of Burnaby, in which he leads a successful defense of Metropolis at Metrotown mall against the onslaught of bulldozers and city workers, aided by Concord Pacific mercenaries, seeking a capitulation of the mall ninjas and crusaders.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 12:35 AM

I don't know much about Vin other than that his recent posts seem like he wants to be the new towerguy3. For years, he appears to have contributed to discussion in his own unique way, but his recent contributions to the forum are commensurate to a troll (calling people racist; sniping comments at people then running away, etc.). Regardless, the mods will likely monitor the forum objectively as a matter of course.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:34 AM

Vin got banned and unbanned? That was fast.

Misher is worse than Vin though. Vin has a certain point of view most people don't share, but he backs down when presented with facts most of the time. Misher treats his insane opinions as facts, and politicizes everything.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

Misher is worse than Vin though. Vin has a certain point of view most people don't share, but he backs down when presented with facts most of the time. Misher treats his insane opinions as facts, and politicizes everything.
I like Vin:Mall Defender on the forum

Misher posts scream "fresh faced optimist", drinking that entry level RE Kool-aid at $15/hr, compelling him to defend it at all costs, even the unsavory aspects of the industry

I hope WhatNext comes back, a forum longtimer, provides a great range of diverse individual opinions, rather than being a strict ideologue.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

Got banned, definitely deserved it, having been physically attacked before+received constant racism for my ancestry I get touchy.

Just because other people get out of line does not mean I should have replied.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Ivanhoe Cambridge

The year is 2040

Vin is their secret weapon in the war against the city of Burnaby, in which he leads a successful defense of Metropolis at Metrotown mall against the onslaught of bulldozers and city workers, aided by Concord Pacific mercenaries, seeking a capitulation of the mall ninjas and crusaders.
I'm glad we have our mall defender back. He's good entertainment!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I don't know much about Vin other than that his recent posts seem like he wants to be the new towerguy3. For years, he appears to have contributed to discussion in his own unique way, but his recent contributions to the forum are commensurate to a troll (calling people racist; sniping comments at people then running away, etc.). Regardless, the mods will likely monitor the forum objectively as a matter of course.
He's like the local forum punching bag, so maybe he's starting to lose it a bit. A man can take only so much punishment before he cracks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion