HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:37 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
ADUs should be legal as of right citywide. I mean in a city filled with garden units (legal or otherwise) and thousands of coach houses there is simply no good reason to prohibit them.
Minneapolis’ move is admirable, but it is a much smaller city relative to the metro area, it’s almost like a Boston or SF. You pass into the suburbs very quickly.

In a gigantic city like Chicago, I dunno if we want to be encouraging densification in outer neighborhoods with a 1 hour plus commute to the Loop. Realistically, the new residents will just drive and place even more traffic on the streets. L stops are kind of an exception for those outer neighborhoods, I agree it should be denser around e.g the Harlem/I-90 Blue Line stop or the Pulaski Orange Line stop. Metra offers quick commutes for some of these Bungalow Belt areas but the frequency is not good enough to allow a transit oriented lifestyle for non-commute trips.

The only thing that will move the dial in those outer neighborhoods is A) new transit lines, be they rail or BRT and B) large mixed-use developments that contain grocery stores, pharmacy, coffee etc in walking distance of the new residents.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Minneapolis’ move is admirable, but it is a much smaller city relative to the metro area, it’s almost like a Boston or SF. You pass into the suburbs very quickly.

In a gigantic city like Chicago, I dunno if we want to be encouraging densification in outer neighborhoods with a 1 hour plus commute to the Loop. Realistically, the new residents will just drive and place even more traffic on the streets. L stops are kind of an exception for those outer neighborhoods, I agree it should be denser around e.g the Harlem/I-90 Blue Line stop or the Pulaski Orange Line stop. Metra offers quick commutes for some of these Bungalow Belt areas but the frequency is not good enough to allow a transit oriented lifestyle for non-commute trips.

The only thing that will move the dial in those outer neighborhoods is A) new transit lines, be they rail or BRT and B) large mixed-use developments that contain grocery stores, pharmacy, coffee etc in walking distance of the new residents.
Congestion price the city and pour the cash into transit improvements.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:56 PM

What Chicago needs is a complete reform of it's zoning code including a provision that makes it illegal to downzone a building making it non conforming. There is no reason any building in the city should be zoned for less than what is already there. Same goes for vacant land, if it was once a 3 flat it should at least be zoned for a new one. If it's got a six flat next to it, it should be zoned for a six flat.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I don't think I follow your logic here. If you don't allow denser development in outer neighborhoods, then those people will presumably have to live in the suburbs. That enforces an even more car-focused lifestyle and longer commutes.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:00 PM
The City

I agree. The lowest density zoning classification should be RT-4

Get rid of RS-3 and all that crap. Everything zoned lower than RT-4 gets reassigned to RT-4.

Vote on it. Pass it. Simple.

I would be a great Mayor, although not as great as WW

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:02 PM
The City

More reason why Aldermanic prerogative is such a problem. It creates inconsistencies that could harm Chicago's ability to attract international investment.

Check out Curbed today, an article about the rowhomes at 42 E Superior being given an extension till March of their demolition. Of additional interest is that the prior highrise proposed there, the Carillon, was rejected by Reilly but brought in nearly $50 million from Chinese investors from the EB-5 program. That money was never returned to them!!!!!

I would be livid too. Another article that discussed a class action lawsuit by the Chinese investors against the developer contained this quote, which I find to be telling:

Quote:
Defendants failed to prominently disclose the fact that, based on long-standing policy and procedure for all development in the City of Chicago, and the defendants’ knowledge of such policy and procedure, the project required alderman/ward approval prior to the submission of a project plan to the city commissioner of development and planning,” reads the lawsuit, “and that the submission of any project plan to the city commissioner without such alderman/ward approval would result in rejection by the commissioner and failure of the project.
50 Chinese investors got ripped off (not the first time this happened in Chicago) due to some silly and corrupt local tradition. The word will spread, and people who lost a great deal of money will spread the word that Chicago real estate is not the place to invest.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:15 PM
The City

New law to provide relief from siren noise:

https://www.loopnorth.com/news/siren1210.htm

IMO it doesn't go far enough. When I stayed downtown this past weekend the sirens were way too loud in the middle of the night (2 am, 3 am). When I lived in Manhattan they had a much better solution. Mind you, this was 2006, so they've already had this in place for a while. Emergency vehicles there have 2 "loudness" levels. Daytime and nighttime, and at night the sirens are far quieter. I think with Chicago's central area becoming increasingly a place to live, Chicago should explore doing the same

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Of additional interest is that the prior highrise proposed there, the Carillon, was rejected by Reilly but brought in nearly $50 million from Chinese investors from the EB-5 program. That money was never returned to them!!!!!
Surely that's a case of the developer being a scumbag, it's not like Reilly is holding onto their money.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Surely that's a case of the developer being a scumbag, it's not like Reilly is holding onto their money.
Oh absolutely, I don't deny that.

But we don't know the nature of their contract with the developer. They could've written in a technicality that the funds are nonrefundable under certain conditions, knowing full well that Chicago's Aldermanic prerogative can prevent many a project from being a sure thing.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:15 PM
Urbane observer

That's a pretty laughable pleading. It's not like the property was downzoned after they'd invested. They invested based on some developer believing he could get a massive upzoning. Boo hoo, they didn't win the lottery.

Such random upzonings would be much less likely without aldermanic prerogative, because there'd actually be a comprehensive plan in place.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:55 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
That's a pretty laughable pleading. It's not like the property was downzoned after they'd invested. They invested based on some developer believing he could get a massive upzoning. Boo hoo, they didn't win the lottery.
Your argument about Aldermanic prerogative aside, that "boo hoo" is quite a taunt for not returning $50 million!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:25 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Your argument about Aldermanic prerogative aside, that "boo hoo" is quite a taunt for not returning $50 million!
Well, the investors' claim is one for fraud or breach of contract. Aldermanic prerogative got nothin' to do with it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Rich people tried to buy citizenship based on speculation and lost. This happens in real estate. Our current President straight up changed terms on people who bought condos in Trump Tower 10 years ago. I'll save my empathy for the people struggling day-to-day.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 9:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Rich people tried to buy citizenship based on speculation and lost. This happens in real estate. Our current President straight up changed terms on people who bought condos in Trump Tower 10 years ago. I'll save my empathy for the people struggling day-to-day.
None of that means that people, regardless of their income level, shouldn't get their money back if fraud is committed.

What kind of nonsense are you spewing?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:16 PM

In my SimCity world...
Pick up that lot at Huron and Dearborn. Move those rowhomes there. Landmark the vintage stock / facades of heritage buildings up and down Dearborn. The folks in that fancy condo building next door get views for eternity. Developer gets a cleared superior and Wabash site, but keeps the facade of the Giordanos building for parking and amenity deck or something like that. And somehow...some way we get a tower where the row houses were. Win for preservation. Win for Urban density.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:34 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
In my SimCity world...
Pick up that lot at Huron and Dearborn. Move those rowhomes there. Landmark the vintage stock / facades of heritage buildings up and down Dearborn. The folks in that fancy condo building next door get views for eternity. Developer gets a cleared superior and Wabash site, but keeps the facade of the Giordanos building for parking and amenity deck or something like that. And somehow...some way we get a tower where the row houses were. Win for preservation. Win for Urban density.
I'd rather see them go on the east side of Dearborn just north of Chicago Ave, where the Y parking lot is.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:44 AM

Anyone know what this is?

Right next to the South Loop police station

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:04 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
EB-5 Visa programs are *required* to put the investment at risk. Depending on how the company is structured and funded, it may or may not be fraud. A lot would depend on how the corporation and the investing parties agreement was structured. As with any investment where you put money at risk, you have to be very careful. I know some countries have visa programs where you basically just have to plop your cash into a bank account for some period of time. But that is most definitely not what the US EB-5 program is. The US literally considers EB-5 to be a jobs program, and not only are the investors risking their money financially, but if the investment fails to generate the minimum required jobs, they could also lose their qualification for a Green Card.

The extent of risk and chance of fraud in the EB-5 program is a national issue, not a local one. I doubt any investor would pay blame on the city of their investment for a national program that is usually advised against for anyone mostly looking for investments, and only really advised for people who literally have no other possible way to immigrate to the US and will not settle for any other country.

Chances are, they did lose at least some of their investment. I'm not sure how costs would have risen to $50 million before construction even started on a project of that size, but if the ownership structure was like some tech finding deals I've seen it's at least possible that the investors ahead of the EB-5 investors had preferred stock or risk guarantees that would have invalidated an EB-5 Visa investment because the level of risk wasn't sufficient.

If actual fraud happened, they should get something back. But if they were simply subordinate shareholders and it was their dollars that funded the design and planning expenses then they lost because they rolled the dice in a risky game and lost. If you're going to invest $1 million in a game to gain residency in the United States, you really do need to be advised and not just treat it like opening a CD account at a bank. It's entirely possible that the advisor or advisors to the EB-5 investors were negligent or committed malpractice or were the perpetrators of fraud independent of the developers. It's probably a lot more complex that just "getting their money back," and worst case it could be like owning GM stock in 2009. Even if you sympathize with those investors, you likely didn't believe they deserved their money back.

The description in the article does sound odd, not least of which is that my understanding of EB-5 is that you have to invest at least one million except in certain areas with high unemployment. I don't see how downtown Chicago qualifies for that exception.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:11 PM

New construction permit for 1604 N Richmond (North & Richmond) for a new 6 story, 40 unit building with ground floor retail and 17 indoor parking spaces. Not 100% sure, but think it will knock down this building. I'm guessing some of the surface lot/vacant land just north of it will be built on too

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16...!4d-87.7005641

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:38 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Anyone know what this is?

Right next to the South Loop police station
New elementary school

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development