HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 8:45 PM

Any news on this project yet?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:12 PM

Word is there is public hearing on Dec 15th for the Zoning Bylaw changes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
Word is there is public hearing on Dec 15th for the Zoning Bylaw changes.
You are correct. Here are the details on the Dec 15th hearing.

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/...eBylaw9236.pdf

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 3:05 PM

Is anyone in this forum going to this meeting today?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:32 PM

Ah, I know you

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:38 PM

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/touch/...tml?rel=827780

Quote:
BY PHIL TANK, THE STARPHOENIX DECEMBER 16, 2014
City council approved the construction of two new downtown highrise towers that Mayor Don Atchison said represent “a great step forward” for Saskatoon.

After a public hearing Monday night, council unanimously approved zoning changes that will allow Prairie North Developments Ltd. to build a 105-metre tower at the corner of Third Avenue South and 22nd Street East and an adjacent 87-metre tower at the corner of 22nd Street East and Fourth Avenue South.

Last edited by SaskCarpenter; Dec 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:13 PM

Hallelujah! At long last we can finally look forward to watching some decent height get built in downtown Saskatoon!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:41 PM

John Williams from North Prairie stated that his company will release more information on the project in January.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:08 PM

Just remember folks....an announcement and council approval does not always translate into action....e.g. River Landing.....

Having said that, I do have a bit more faith in this project proceeding based on how quickly they got shovels in the ground for their Shangri-La project in City Park.

My fingers are crossed for this one! Now if we could only get a grocer/boutique market to open up downtown.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 3:23 PM

I do hope that the residential units aren't priced out of this world. But that's mostly personal preference as I definitely have this place in mind to live.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:47 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Just remember folks....an announcement and council approval does not always translate into action....e.g. River Landing.....

Having said that, I do have a bit more faith in this project proceeding based on how quickly they got shovels in the ground for their Shangri-La project in City Park.

My fingers are crossed for this one! Now if we could only get a grocer/boutique market to open up downtown.
It is also worth noting that River Landing is a more or less a civically mandated design in search of an investor whereas in this case the money is coming forward of it's own free will. This should grant a least some shred of optimism that we will see this one come to be. Fingers crossed here too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:25 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
It is also worth noting that River Landing is a more or less a civically mandated design in search of an investor whereas in this case the money is coming forward of it's own free will. This should grant a least some shred of optimism that we will see this one come to be. Fingers crossed here too.
This is not true.

At least, it's not that simple.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:27 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
This is not true.

Go on...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Speaking of River Landing, is Nassar still speculating on the Parcel 'Y' that he paid $4.9 million back in 2010?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:33 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Go on...
The original land deal included an RFP ('civically mandated design') when the city owned the property. The Victory Majors proposal was reviewed and approved strictly under the zoning regulations (no RFPs for council to weigh and decided amongst), the same as City Centre (different zoning districts, but essentially the same process).

That said, Parcel Y certainly carries a far greater weight of 'civic' expectations (i.e. the people) that the North Prairie site.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
This is not true.

Agreed. Between the Lake Placid RL design and the Nasser RL design there were a number of significant changes that indicated a lot more willingness from the City to compromise on their original design guidelines. Even during the development of the Lake Placid design, there was considerable relaxation from the City's/MVA's original prescriptive project requirements.

At this point, I believe that the City would accept almost anything on that site (within reason) which would get it developed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:56 PM
Has been

Whether or not there have been comprises in the details is not the issue. There remains (as far as I've ever heard, if it has changed I'd be pleased to hear about it) a framework that must be adhered to on the River Landing Site. Such is not the case on the corner of 3rd and 22nd. The city had to court investors to River Landing, again not the case here.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 6:37 PM

Good luck Saskatoon! Would be a huge plus for the City. They could show you some pretty pictures in January and then never hear from the developer again. But seeing as they aren't many other new highrises like this in Saskatoon, I think it's logical that at least the smaller tower could go through.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 7:53 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Whether or not there have been comprises in the details is not the issue. There remains (as far as I've ever heard, if it has changed I'd be pleased to hear about it) a framework that must be adhered to on the River Landing Site. Such is not the case on the corner of 3rd and 22nd. The city had to court investors to River Landing, again not the case here.
The "framework" is the zoning regulations/design guidelines. The City Centre site has zoning regulations and design guidelines as well. Yes, there is "more" such "framkework" at River Landing, but under this same framework were River Centre I, the Remai Modern, and The Banks, designed, approved, and built.

There is no beaurcratic hurdle at River Landing that is stifling development.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 10:40 PM
Has been

Quote:

There is no beaurcratic hurdle at River Landing that is stifling development.
Nor did I intend to convey that it was. All I mean to say was inaction at River Landing is no reason to cast doubt on the viability of the City Centre project. And to clarify, when I stated River Landing I meant Parcel Y. Lot's of great things are happening at River Landing. That is hard to dispute. Would you agree that the current Victory Majors proposal is born of the original Lake Placid proposal? That proposal, which was the only submission to the original RFP, was probably way out of scale for this market. Lake Placid, as it turns out was a pretty sketchy operation whose visions weren't necessarily based in economic reality. The scale of the proposed Parcel Y project remains the same and 4 years after VM has assumed the project we still see nothing. So when I said "more or less civically mandated", the emphasis was intended to be on the "more or less" and all pertaining to the winning (only) response to the original RFP. That's all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan