HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 3:43 AM

Hamilton was a steel town and now that the whole steel thing isn't panning out, they decided to "amalgamate" all the surrounding towns and charge them all huge taxes to fix up the downtown which is a poorly conceived maze of one-way streets, broken down houses and broken down people.

And the streets downtown are too damn narrow.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 8:32 PM

Besides possible problems in Hamilton, the tower is a real beauty. Still, I´m not really convinced it´s gonna be built. Let us hope anyway.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmandan View Post
Hamilton was a steel town and now that the whole steel thing isn't panning out, they decided to "amalgamate" all the surrounding towns and charge them all huge taxes to fix up the downtown which is a poorly conceived maze of one-way streets, broken down houses and broken down people.

And the streets downtown are too damn narrow.
Lol...wow, this might be the most ignorant post I've ever read on here.
Come visit the Hammer and wake up.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:46 AM

Wake up? This building looks more out of place than Taipei 101.

By the way, I drive to Hamilton on almost a daily basis, so I think I have a pretty good perspective.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:12 AM

drewmandan, I find it hard to believe you drive into Hamilton everyday yet find the roads too narrow?! You didn't notice the five lane one way roads? And most cities could only dream of having Hamilton's housing stock. But this isn't the place for this, go to the Hamilton section if you want to debate these things: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=281

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:30 PM
Closed account

Find me a city without streets narrower than Mississuaga's 10-lane mega-roads all over the place.
If you live in the burbs, I understand.
If you ever go to TO, Montreal or any other city (check out the wide roads in European cities sometime) you should be used to normal sized streets like we have in Hamilton.
And yes, like flar says, our one-ways are insane...way too wide.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:39 PM

Sorry, I meant the LANES are too narrow. Good luck driving beside a bus.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:18 PM
Closed account

Lol....you're from Peel region I assume?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 4:34 PM

Dundas

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:00 PM
Baryonic Lord

looks good.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 5:54 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

these arguments shouldn't be about the width of the lanes of Hamiltons downtown streets, they should be about Mr. Stimsons ability to deliver...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 3:42 PM

There is a lengthy feature article about Harry Stinson and his plans in the Hamilton Spectator today:
http://www.thespec.com/Entertainment/article/401649

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 5:36 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Harry Stinson made a name for himself as one of Toronto's most daring and controversial property developers. When the business side of his last project went sour in very public fashion, Stinson and his wife began looking for a place to start over. They considered places such as Miami, New York and Vancouver. Then last fall, a highly qualified Stinson fan invited him to Hamilton. Stinson spent six hours walking through the downtown core, seeing rich redevelopment opportunities in empty, troubled buildings. One in particular caught his eye: the old Royal Connaught Hotel. Today, he has designs to build a condo tower on the Connaught site that reaches 1,000 feet into the sky. Harry Stinson has come to Hamilton.
What a joke. Not sure how a guy that has yet to successfully complete a single development can be called a developer. And, he's not a Trump with name recognition, non-localized contacts, and MONEY to even consider going outside the Greater GTA. Don't fool yourselves, Hamilton was really his only option with cheap land he could afford and relatively no competiiton. However, this development is so beyond reason that I can only assuming that a padded room is in Harry's future. 15 storeys, 120u, new construction would have been big for Hamilton.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 6:59 PM
someone

i'm super jealous!!

i hope it gets a redesign though, I wouldn't want this sucker to be compared too the london shard whenever its discussed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:23 PM

Would sure put the city on the map for many people.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 4:24 PM

Stinson might be a little early, but Hamilton could be a different city in five years: light rail, an NHL team, new hotels, high tech industries.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 8:12 PM

What did you read that said Hamilton was getting light rail and an NHL team? I'm just curious.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:00 AM

I said "could be," suggesting these are possibilities. Billionaire Jim Balsillie is as determined to bring an NHL team to Hamilton as the Toronto Maple Leafs are at blocking it. He is currently in talks with several teams, see this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152256
As for light rail, where have you been hiding? It's been one of the biggest municipal issues in Hamilton over the past six months.

Now drewmandan, seriously go to the Hamilton subforum if you want to argue about this stuff. You should probably also get more informed about Hamilton before you post things on here. There are already threads in the Hamilton section concerning LRT and the NHL. This thread is about the Connaught proposal.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 6:59 PM

I added the words "I'm just curious" specifically to make it clear that I wasn't trying to argue. But I guess you see what you want to see...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I don't think this is true anymore. North York, Mississuaga et al have taller residential buildings (unless we're counting them as part of TO, which they are - they wouldn't exist if not for the big smoke, but I digress).
I assume that Vancouver has a taller condo tower than Landmark Place or even Montreal, but I'm not certain.
This hasn't been true for quite some time, Vancouver has a few pure residentials taller that it, and even more mixed use buildings. Calgary also has a few taller residentials and both cities have several planned or under construction residental towers larger than it.

As for the caugnaut, put me down as a doubter... Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it happen, I'm just a touch too pragmatic to believe anything coming out of Stinson's mouth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive