HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maledictis View Post
Although this is a very conceptual sketch, two things strike me as odd and make me think this is a rendering that was recycled from some other project.

1. The perspective is impossible. If the two-way street with medians is Peachtree, Perkins + Will is gonna be PISSED when MetLife tears down their current building to build their own. If it's supposed to be West Peachtree, watch out for those north-bound cars! YIPE!

2. Even in a high-level sketch, architects tend to make the cars look kinda contemporary. The ones sketched here are clearly mid-80's models.

I think the only thing that can be gleaned from that rendering is this: MetLife may or may not build a building or two at 17th & Peachtree. Said buildings will probably have walls and windows. Anything else, based on that sketch, is pure conjecture.
The Perspective is not impossible...the street with the medians is 17th Street and the cross street would be Spring St.

As far as the cars go, it is pretty common to use abstract cars so they don't distract from the building. Take a look at Andrew King's website. Andrew King does a lot of color rendering here in Atlanta and I would hardly call the cars in his renderings modern or contemporary.

Also, this rendering is on a sign on the site so there is not really a question about the location.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maledictis View Post
Although this is a very conceptual sketch, two things strike me as odd and make me think this is a rendering that was recycled from some other project.

1. The perspective is impossible. If the two-way street with medians is Peachtree, Perkins + Will is gonna be PISSED when MetLife tears down their current building to build their own. If it's supposed to be West Peachtree, watch out for those north-bound cars! YIPE!

2. Even in a high-level sketch, architects tend to make the cars look kinda contemporary. The ones sketched here are clearly mid-80's models.

I think the only thing that can be gleaned from that rendering is this: MetLife may or may not build a building or two at 17th & Peachtree. Said buildings will probably have walls and windows. Anything else, based on that sketch, is pure conjecture.
Actually the two-way street with medians is 17th, the cross street is Spring St. This project is between W. Peachtree and Spring and you can kinda see the big tree at the corner of 17th and W. Peachtree which they planned to keep.

Here's the updated rendering

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 8:16 PM
Baryonic Lord

Hrm...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 3:01 PM

Spacescrapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Talk about "skyscraping", from the looks of that rendering these buildings extend all the way into space!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 7:07 PM

Two things from the Atlanta Metroscape page:

1) today BuckOff (Behind Phipps from this forumn) says construction fences have gone up, so maybe things are starting.

2) "Trae" posts a site plan that might help you understand how this sits on the property. Unfortunately the link to the pic no longer works or I'd repost it, but you can see the thumbnail image in his post well enough to understand the layout.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 9:37 PM

This perspective is from the NW corner of the intersection of 17th St. and Spring St., so it is correct and possible. Not a great quality rendering, to be sure, but it is less than a year old as the new building to the right (for-rent residential) was designed beginning just over a year ago.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 9:45 PM

One other quick note - driving past this area yesterday morning I noticed they had recently installed windscreen on the previously-installed fencing - the windscreen advertises the buildings using this rendering and provides contact info., etc. Sounds like a slow-rolling (maybe delayed?) start, but not cancelled in my opinion...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:38 PM

Another rendering and site plan

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 8:46 PM

I like how the builiding facing 17th St. has that concave curve that follows the curve of the road.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 2:52 PM

17th needs more like this. glad to see this is still a possibility, even in today's economy...

^i too like that curve, and find it to to somewhat help differentiate this from the myriad of glass that seems to be going up.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:59 PM

A couple of different renderings.

I didn't know they would be seeking LEED certification on this one.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 4:09 PM

Does anyone know the status of this project?

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 6:54 PM

fencing and signs were removed this spring.
I'd say its cancelled for now atleast. which is a shame

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive